1 2
JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
3/14/13 9:38 p.m.

For sale in St. Louis area is this 1982 Celica with only 70k miles on it for $800. The lady who owns it told me that she stopped driving it 8 years ago because she started having children and got a larger vehicle. She thought she would occasionally drive the Celica but never did, so it has sat. She says it ran great when she quit driving it.

She is asking $800 OBO. I am not affiliated with the car....I was very interested in it myself but had to pass when I took a sober assessment of my current life situation. I felt bad about backing out on my appointment to view the car so I told her I would post it here since this forum and this car are such a good match.

Could be a great deal for someone. It looks like it will spiff up real nice with a little TLC, and hopefully would be easy to get running again.

Yeah the seat is ripped up but check out that un-cracked dashboard!

Message me if interested and I will send her contact info...I don't want to get her spammed posting it here.

spnx
spnx Reader
3/14/13 10:11 p.m.

Awe, damn! If it were white... looks like my first car! Too bad (or good thing) I'm too far away.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/13 6:19 a.m.

I'd trade a ripped seat for a nice dashboard anytime.

Looks like a bargain from here...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
3/15/13 8:07 a.m.

i actually am interested just dunno if this is the right time to bite on it

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/15/13 8:26 a.m.

Soft spot for old-ish Toyota's. Looks like a bargain, hope it works out for her. (And that seat is easily replaced by a cheap Corbeau seat...)

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
3/15/13 8:53 a.m.

EPIC WANT...EPIC BROKE

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/15/13 9:47 a.m.

That looks like a really nice one. I may have an opportunity buy a DD in a couple of years when I get the boy off to College. We'll see. But I've been thinking it would be nice to have a Celica to drive around. Tom Celica is registered, but it has 800 lb. front springs right now, so it's no fun to drive on the street.

That sure looks like a nice one to pick up. There are a lot of $800 Celicas out there, but most aren't in anything like that condition. And those motors are pretty tough. Even sitting like that, I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't be running again without much work. I'd make sure it turned freely. Before '85 they have the double row timing chain, and all of those seem to be amazingly durable.

Huh. The seats in those usually hold up really well (not the GTS/Supra seats, but the ST/GT seats). I bet it's solid under the fabric. Might just put a nice sheepskin cover on it and call it good.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
3/15/13 10:05 a.m.

I like that, and it's even the hatchback version! Too bad I'm broke (like everyone else) and in MA....

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
3/16/13 7:19 p.m.

I told the mrs about it, mistakenly thinking it was close by, and she actually gave her blessing! too bad st louis is a bit farther than shes willing to go. shame...

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
3/17/13 4:42 a.m.

I'll bet she'd take $500 cash...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
3/17/13 1:05 p.m.

there aren't any grm-ers headed from missouri to southwestern ohio are there?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
3/18/13 8:35 a.m.

I can not stop thinking about this car

...oh yes, it will be mine
dmyntti
dmyntti Reader
3/19/13 6:36 a.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

Well, I will be making a trip to Missouri and back from Southeast ohio in the very near future (possibly this weekend). I will be driving my truck but did not intend to pull my trailer. Maybe we can work something out.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
3/19/13 1:40 p.m.
dmyntti wrote: In reply to 4cylndrfury: Well, I will be making a trip to Missouri and back from Southeast ohio in the very near future (possibly this weekend). I will be driving my truck but did not intend to pull my trailer. Maybe we can work something out.

PM me if youre serious...let me know what youd want in terms of cash to pull a car on a trailer to north of Cinci (Maineville to be exact) - 45039

Calling all Ohioans...Ive never titled an out of state car...if this sale happens, what is needed to title a car purchased out of state in Ohio? Im assuming Signed Title and bill of sale? Am I a berktard for thinking about buying a 3 decade old car from out of state, sight unseen, from a seller Ive never met? What could go wrong?

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
3/19/13 1:46 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

how bad can you get hurt on a 800.00 car really....do it

dmyntti
dmyntti Reader
3/19/13 2:12 p.m.

To title an out of state vehicle in Ohio you need to take the car and the title to a dealership. The dealership will have someone inspect the car check the VIN number and fill out a form. I believe the inspection is just to make sure someone didn't just splice in a VIN tag from a different car. It has been a few years since I had one done but that is what I did. The local chevy dealership did it for me and I don't think they charged me anything for it.

dmyntti
dmyntti Reader
3/20/13 6:13 a.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

I did PM you yesterday. Did you get it? I don't seem to receive PM's from this site for some reason. You can contact me at dmyntti at hotmail dot com.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
3/20/13 12:04 p.m.

I hope someone on this board gets this thing so I can live vicariously through your build-thread.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
3/20/13 12:09 p.m.

I'm not broke.

I'm not close, but I'm not all that far away either...

I'm in the market for a new daily.

I have acknowledged that I really ought to invest my "new daily driver money" in one of my "nearly there" projects rather than buying another older, RWD car.

Somebody buy this so I can stop considering it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
3/21/13 7:01 p.m.

In reply to dmyntti:

I did not get it, but occasionally I dont get pm's. Id love to take you up on an offer to pull it home, but im just very leery of making a car purchase sight unseen, out of state, paid online, with a stranger physically making the transaction (no offense).

The more I think about it, the more I feel like I need to pass (as much as it kills me), unless I can come up with a way to get there myself.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
3/21/13 7:30 p.m.

Pay someone to go look at it for you? If I was anywhere near StL, I'd do it for beer. There's gotta be someone else that can.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
3/22/13 12:50 a.m.

Some encouragement:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/i-3-my-ra65-celica/52263/page1/

My RA65 has been a great car and I've thoroughly enjoyed ownership, though my automotive ADD often has me pining for something with more power and a less truck-like demeanor.

dmyntti
dmyntti Reader
3/22/13 6:51 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: In reply to dmyntti: I did not get it, but occasionally I dont get pm's. Id love to take you up on an offer to pull it home, but im just very leery of making a car purchase sight unseen, out of state, paid online, with a stranger physically making the transaction (no offense). The more I think about it, the more I feel like I need to pass (as much as it kills me), unless I can come up with a way to get there myself.

I understand, I would be hesitant to make that deal as well. Since I had not heard from you and there wasn't a need to make the trip right away I postponed my trip for a couple weeks.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
3/22/13 7:24 a.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Sperlo's in StL, though I don't know how close he is.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/24/13 9:34 p.m.
dmyntti wrote: Since I had not heard from you and there wasn't a need to make the trip right away I postponed my trip for a couple weeks.

You sir, win the prize for enabling.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1MMSJm4QuXfsEK6o3Iq0q0oLhS9iQ1luRZVbcOfNqhQA2KLBgG3kjwreaCZylEPP