1 2 3 ... 5
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/15/24 2:36 p.m.

There was some hinting the location for next year's Challenge might be at a different venue. 

Has there been an announcement about that yet?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/15/24 2:39 p.m.

Conspiracy theory: we are gonna have a Spring and Fall Challenge.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/15/24 2:45 p.m.

My vote is for something closer to the west coast: Omaha. Denver. Topeka. Sears Point. Thunderhill. Etc...

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/24 3:03 p.m.

On the record I enjoy the Challenge at Gainesville. 

- The facilities are perfect for what we are doing. The pavement is crap which is an excellent equalizer for cars that are prepped the way ours are. 

- The track staff is excellent. I have had many encounters with them and they have always treated me as if I mattered. 

- It is local to the editorial staff. That helps them. 

- Finding other hotels that are as safe and forgiving as the Best Western Gateway Grand will be a challenge. 

That being said, Topeka would be damn near perfect for the Challenge if we wanted cars from the entire country because it's out of the way for every single competitor. 

I also like Atlanta, Charlotte (Z Max), Norwalk, and Chicagoland. 

I will go where the event is up to 24 hours drive time, beyond that it becomes safety risk.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/15/24 3:04 p.m.

My vote is for something closer to Summerville, SC.

Or, somewhere cool to visit.

Or, just leave it in Gainesville.   It's not a bad location, other than most people who travel to it.

I could stand to move it within 6 hours of me.  That could get it close to VIR, atlanta, charlotte...

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
4/15/24 3:04 p.m.

if ain't broke don't fix it

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/15/24 3:14 p.m.

The rumor mill had told me zMAX drag strip was in the running up in Charlotte. That's where we have our local auto crosses and courses are generally about a mile long. Maybe not quite that long but that's how long they feel like. Runs in the 60 to 80 second range are normal for the fast guys. If we're going to move, that would be a fantastic place to move to. I'd also offer as much support as a human leak in and my boss will allow as local boots on the ground and will draft my friends and family as much as possible to do so as well

wvumtnbkr
4/15/24 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Talk to text?

I'd also offer as much support as a human leak in and my boss will allow as local boots on the ground and will draft my friends and family as much as possible to do so as well

I'm guessing that translates to:

I'd also offer as much support as I humanly can and my boss will allow. 

I can be the local boots on the ground and will draft my friends and family as much as possible.

Lolz.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/24 3:24 p.m.

No I think he was saying this...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/15/24 3:30 p.m.

berkeleying talk to text. I hate typing with my thumbs and as I no longer really ever see my desk I don't have access to a keyboard. Thanks for the translation Rob and the laugh John

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/15/24 3:37 p.m.

zMAX would be awesome. They have a 4-lane-wide drag strip! I love the idea of longer autocross courses on a better surface. 

Atlanta is probably not an option. Unfortunately our only 1/4 mile drag strip closed down a couple years ago. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
4/15/24 3:44 p.m.

We can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a location for the 2025 $2000 Challenge. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_response

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
4/15/24 3:49 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Indianapolis is the Racing Capital of the World.  Just sayin'

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/15/24 4:06 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Morgan Freeman, he's right you know.. #meme #morganfreeman ...

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/24 4:20 p.m.

Poconos would get me out of the great north east.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/15/24 4:30 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Weren't all you northerners digging yourselves out of snow banks in order to get down here for this past Challenge?

I've been in Indy during snow.  No thanks 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/15/24 4:37 p.m.

Kansas is the exact center of the United States. You would draw more people from other parts of the country. It's closer to where I live. It's closer to where most people live. They used to have SCCA National Events there.

Colorado is just West of the Center but cooler than Kansas.

I know the magazine is in Florida, but you are way over on the Southeast edge of the country and away from where most of us live. It's a looong drive from California, Oregon and Washington. A loong drive from most Western States, still a bit of a drive from Texas and the Southwest and most of the Midwest. Move it to Atlanta or Charlotte or anyplace else in the South and you might as well keep it in Florida. You will get most of the the same people from the same area. I do notice that most of your entries are from the South with some from up North and not a whole lot from the rest of the country. Just an observation.

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS Reader
4/15/24 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Median center of population is Gibson County Indiana. 

4/15/24 5:03 p.m.
bbbbRASS said:

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

Median center of population is Gibson County Indiana. 

And there is more population on the East side of the country. Indiana is still back East for me and a looong drive from the West Coast.

wvumtnbkr
4/15/24 5:33 p.m.
preach said:

Poconos would get me out of the great north east.

It's still in the great north east.

wvumtnbkr
4/15/24 5:35 p.m.

I would like to point out that GRM tried to do a west coast challenge and I believe 1 person showed up.  Maybe it was a handful, but not many.

I think that was enough to put the end to trying to attract west coast teams.

Question...

Is the challenge growing or shrinking?  If shrinking, do we know why?  Is there some way to do a survey of past attendees that are no longer showing up?

4/15/24 5:39 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I would like to point out that GRM tried to do a west coast challenge and I believe 1 person showed up.  Maybe it was a handful, but not many.

Question...

Is the challenge growing or shrinking?  If shrinking, do we know why?  Is there some way to do a survey of past attendees that are no longer showing up?

Kansas isn't exactly the West Coast. It would draw more from the Midwest and Texas as well. It's even closer to Canada.

wvumtnbkr
4/15/24 5:43 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Question...

Kansas isn't exactly the West Coast. It would draw more from the Midwest and Texas as well. It's even closer to Canada.

I'm sure as E36 M3 not going to Kansas.  For like...  anything!

4/15/24 5:53 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Question...

I'm sure as E36 M3 not going to Kansas.  For like...  anything!

I feel the same way about Florida.

Of course they probably won't move it, or if they do move it, it will be someplace else in a nearby state where they have a newer, bigger facility.

It won't move far.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/24 7:15 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

We can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a location for the 2025 $2000 Challenge. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_response

Is there a point sooner than later that we'll be made aware of the venue so plans can be made accordingly? 

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HnFkfSefFfkg6w0EwFQ3gvfuYZwBAGvulAAvnDGorR5FjlwSLJPIy8gbB1vK4rZb