ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede Reader
1/15/22 9:04 p.m.

Still collecting parts to build my Volvo for the challenge. Been threatening to make a challenge for a few years now. I’m pretty clear on everything except the manual transmission flywheel. I can remember reading in the past that the flywheel needs to be SFI certified, which is impossible to find for a red block Volvo. Is this the case?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/15/22 9:12 p.m.

It does not have to be SFI certified.  It can be exchanged with an SFI certified flywheel at no budget hit.  Will edit with rules.

Edit -

• Partial Exemption: The Violet Rule (previously known as the Reese Rule): SFI-approved harmonic balancers, SFI-approved flywheels and SFI-approved flex plates are budget-neutral. These parts are dangerous rotating assemblies that should be treated with respect. Any intact harmonic balancer, flywheel, or flex plate listed on the budget may be exchanged for a duplicate SFI-approved part without increasing or decreasing the budget. “Duplicate” is defined as having the same listed application as the standard part in a major parts catalog. In situations where a standard part is not present to exchange, fair market value of the standard part may be used. SFI-approved transmission shields, SFI-approved flex plate shields, and SFI-approved bell housings are not rotating parts, and are not budget exempt. You may still be required to use one or all, depending on your car’s construction and E.T. in the drags.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/15/22 9:16 p.m.

To continue you still have to meet NHRA rules.   Meaning make sure if you're going to be fast that the NHRA doesn't require SFI flywheel at your projected 1/4 mile times.

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede Reader
1/16/22 10:32 a.m.
Stampie said:

To continue you still have to meet NHRA rules.   Meaning make sure if you're going to be fast that the NHRA doesn't require SFI flywheel at your projected 1/4 mile times.

That’s what I’m worried about. According to NHRA rules anything quicker than 11.49 with a manual trans needs an SFI flywheel. It’s just not clear to me at what point we start to follow NHRA rules over challenge rules. I plan on being quicker than 11.49 and I really really don’t want to be stuck with the auto trans but I may just take that route to avoid issues

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/16/22 12:21 p.m.

In reply to ErikTheSwede :

From the rules :

We realize that the NHRA rulebook has a few issues when it comes to this event. The following exceptions will be granted if your car runs slower than 11.49 E.T.:

• Windows may be rolled down during drag runs (if you don't have windows, you'll be required to wear a full-face helmet).

• Welded differentials are allowed.

• C-clip eliminators are not mandatory. 

• Battery shutoff switches may be of alternative construction and placement. Must remain within first responder's reach and be clearly labeled on the exterior of the vehicle.

• Hand-operated clutches are allowed.

• Cast-iron flywheels are allowed.

That doesn't help you as you plan to be faster than 11.49 but those are the only exceptions to nhra rules.  I'd suggest contacting Tom directly as I don't see a way out for you other than automatic (which might be faster than a manual at those speeds).

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/16/22 12:27 p.m.

I will seriously impressed if you can make a red block Volvo got faster than 11.5 on a stock manual trans. I'm not saying it can't be done, but that would be an extremely impressive feat. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/22 1:11 p.m.
Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/16/22 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Wouldn't the T5 swap still use the Volvo flywheel?

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/22 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It definitely can, however the hint is in the link (you can make the mustang flywheel work, some machining may be necessary, I'm not sure and plead ignorance as to how that will affect the SFI rating, I suspect that it voids it). 

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
1/16/22 2:30 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

That does nothing to solve the flywheel issue.   An SFI 1.1 Clutch, as well as an SFI scattershield is also required.

The NHRA rules exist for a reason.    No one wants to lose a leg.

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
1/16/22 2:32 p.m.

Also, look closely into how power adders up the ante as far as NHRA requirements go.

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
1/19/22 12:19 p.m.

So say a car goes 10.20 without a SFI flexplate, is that run void? Is someone looking underneath cars to check flexplates after they go faster then 11.49?
Or has no one other then the Nelsons every actually gone fast enough for it to actually ever matter? 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/19/22 3:18 p.m.

In reply to cruisermatt :

I'd make sure it shows on your budget sheet. I've been saying for a while that tech should mark the cars to their max ET. Want to go fast then prove you meet nhra rules for that speed. 

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede Reader
1/22/22 2:14 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Haha,, no m47 will stay in one piece at those hp levels. I’ve got a GM AR5 and an Aisin R150. I my just stay automatic for the challenge and go to manual later. In the long run I’d like to have a car I can enjoy on the street and maybe hit up some drift events and some street car drag nights.

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede Reader
1/22/22 2:19 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It almost seems like at this point the drag racing section should count towards less of the total score. To me the challenge is about creativity and engineering and thinking outside the box. At this point the only people who will be legal to run faster than 11.49 are Chevy,Ford, and 2j guys. Anyone building something powered by anything else has a serious handicap.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
1/22/22 5:38 p.m.
ErikTheSwede said:

In reply to Stampie :

It almost seems like at this point the drag racing section should count towards less of the total score. To me the challenge is about creativity and engineering and thinking outside the box. At this point the only people who will be legal to run faster than 11.49 are Chevy,Ford, and 2j guys. Anyone building something powered by anything else has a serious handicap.

<whole bunch of deleted words>
Go build something NOW. Go test it NOW.  
I'm really disappointed in unsorted combos that have potential but never deliver for the next year because they never come back.

JMO.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m3bkvuME0qQh4dUcg05xchZGuqW5lyZ5y3M1xamFs2lSzCKIlyndcDVgW2Ti6UpL