eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/6/24 6:25 p.m.

Before I consider some really stupid ideas for a future potential challenge build, I was hoping to see how far the following rule can be stretched before snapping.

Eligible Vehicles:

If the vehicle uses a tubular frame, then modification of production exterior bodywork is only allowed provided the end result is substantially similar in general appearance to the original vehicle. Sweet box flares are specifically allowed.

Would something like this count as substantially similar, or is it a bridge too far?

And if it is no go, would a modified set of frame rails from a different vehicle bring it back into compliance?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/6/24 6:42 p.m.

I tortured this 

Into this

I think this is a situation where you need to remember that it's a editorial exercise.  They want the story, they want you to show what you can do with something thinking outside the box.  Make it safe, make it fun, and make it have a decent level of "finish" and bring whatever idea you have.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/6/24 9:02 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Thanks, your car was actually one of the ones I had in mind when it came to fairly extreme changes.  At least the "all body panels must be present" rule no longer exists.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/7/24 11:54 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Before I consider some really stupid ideas for a future potential challenge build, I was hoping to see how far the following rule can be stretched before snapping.

Eligible Vehicles:

If the vehicle uses a tubular frame, then modification of production exterior bodywork is only allowed provided the end result is substantially similar in general appearance to the original vehicle. Sweet box flares are specifically allowed.

Would something like this count as substantially similar, or is it a bridge too far?

And if it is no go, would a modified set of frame rails from a different vehicle bring it back into compliance?

Man sounds like a Stampie style of project with some model a rails...

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/24 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

I was thinking of letting Tim use the Model T rails sitting on the side of the house.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gzt3Du293JpRVoT18IxWIOGiG9SRkjs02S4qCaC9qUcVWvQjEVTsoPNopTztyXdz