BillCuttitta
BillCuttitta GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/25/24 12:42 p.m.

In my role as Grand Marshal, I’ve been thinking a lot about the $2000 Challenge and talking to people about it. Apparently, we all seem to like each other, because a common theme is that folks want more time to hang out together. 

With that, what would people think of the idea of a more relaxed schedule that allows for extra downtime and socialization? The way it could work is having the drags Saturday morning to lunchtime, then followed by the Concours in the afternoon and once concluded, extends to an afternoon/evening of free time for hanging out/social time or whatever one wants to do. AutoX would be Sunday AM until early afternoon, followed by the awards. Thoughts?

My disclaimer here is that I haven't formalized any changes to the schedule with anyone at this end, but I'm curious as to what people think. 

Thanks, 

Bill C

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
9/25/24 2:10 p.m.

Hmmm, I'd need to talk to the track, but I think this would be feasible on our end.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/25/24 2:14 p.m.

I know the track cooling down in the evenings, and dew forming always seems to be a concern.  You get some of that with the mornings but not as much and sweeping the track off should take care of most of it?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/24 2:25 p.m.

I've always thought that autox morning then drags evening was a killer.  I forgot what year it was recently that we did drags the next morning because of rain but it was the bestest ever.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/25/24 2:35 p.m.

From Competitor stand point, it's nice to be able to get the autocross in before the drag racing.  This allows a "full send" moment after a drag pass or two.  If you break on the drag strip, you can't autocross the next morning.

Autocross the first morning, drag the second ?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/25/24 2:38 p.m.

Personally I really like the current schedule of racing Saturday and Concours + awards Sunday. Though Saturday is quite busy with both races and little downtime, Sunday morning with the Concours and Cars and Coffee is very laid back and allows for lots of social time. Plus Friday afternoon/evening is nothing but social time.

Autocross takes longer than drags, often until 3 or 4 pm, plus fun runs until 5pm or so? If we try to squeeze autocross into Sunday morning, it would push awards later, which would hurt folks who travel from far away. Most of us leave immediately after awards, many with trailers already loaded before awards even start, to make better time for traveling home. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/25/24 3:15 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Personally I really like the current schedule of racing Saturday and Concours + awards Sunday. Though Saturday is quite busy with both races and little downtime, Sunday morning with the Concours and Cars and Coffee is very laid back and allows for lots of social time. Plus Friday afternoon/evening is nothing but social time.

Autocross takes longer than drags, often until 3 or 4 pm, plus fun runs until 5pm or so? If we try to squeeze autocross into Sunday morning, it would push awards later, which would hurt folks who travel from far away. Most of us leave immediately after awards, many with trailers already loaded before awards even start, to make better time for traveling home. 

I agree, I like the current schedule.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/24 3:49 p.m.

One thing that is really nice about a split schedule is that it allows 2 nights of hanging out. Both Friday night and Saturday night become fun nights at the hotel.

And, if it is a split schedule, definitely autocross on the first day and drags on the second. 

tb
tb Dork
9/25/24 4:08 p.m.

In reply to BillCuttitta :

I like this idea better than the current arrangement.

Their isn't much time for small teams to make adjustments and repairs with both events in a single day. Conditions deteriorate at night and exacerbate issues. Also, it always made much more sense to me when the drag racing was before the autox to discourage track closing hero runs and promote durable builds. 

Just three off the top of my head, but I don't feel strongly about it and am not actually competing. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nu8i4bmUsBdVXz2OCs3AMCuGJ4oW0gyc5TKHlBYFpG7Ocr61Ku8zvmBmoOBCTIa4