1 2 3
Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/29/17 4:13 p.m.

The local yard auctions are on Tuesdays, Copart seems to have a lot more volume here than IAAI. Coparts visiting hours here are anytime m-f 8 to 5. Same thing with the Copart thats a little drive away the other direction in Mebane. The by far largest one however is over by Charlotte and is about a 2hr drive so a bit harder to look at stuff in person. I think looking in person is likely key to getting an advantage on knowing how much to bid for.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/3/17 10:12 a.m.

I have never bid on a car "site-unseen".   Yesterday I planned to get to the Inspection day but life got in the way.  As of this morning before the pre-bidding closed, I gave in and threw a small pre-bid on and ended up winning another, green '97 Subaru Legacy wagon with 158k.  This time, minor front damage that will need a front headlamp ($100 new, cheaper used) and maybe some re-bend of the front fender.  Stated to run and drive;  2.2L engine too.  

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=25941879&RowNumber=0&loadRecent=True

I'll know tomorrow if this was a good or bad idea.  

$225 bid -> $433 with fees.  

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/3/17 10:18 a.m.

You now have me looking at IAAI auctions. It would be nice if I could find a cleaner Montero to put my wheels/tires on. 

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/3/17 10:23 a.m.

What Gen of Montero do you want?. In a whole year I have only seen one come through; the one I bought but I'll keep an eye out for ya.  

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/3/17 10:38 a.m.

Any Gen really, mine is 2 but I would like 2.5 or 3. I am slowly fixing mine to get it on the road again but it needs the front end rebuilt and it's fairly rusty under there. 

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/3/17 1:48 p.m.

I took some time today and got the '03 Legacy off the ground. 

What I thought might be a (hoped) front brake sound seems to be a CV sound.

• Broken boot in front driver's CV
  • Broken sway bar link on driver's side front
  • Rear pads are metal to metal on passenger side.  Only slightly better on driver's side
  • Broken sway bar link on rear driver's side

Tires look great.  Three of the same "no name" brand with build dates of 44th week of 2013 on all 3.  The odd tire is a Douglas Brand with build date of 13th week of 2015.  Must have ruptured one tire a couple years after they were new.   All tire wear looks great.  

All the exhaust system looks great.  Underside is not ridiculously rusty like the couple of body spots might imply.  In that bad spot near the driver's side rear door the underside does not show anything similar.  It is just a rust spot in that hollow rocker panel area.  The underside generally looks very good.  

Photo Dump:  

This is where the car was parked for the past 5 days w/o moving. Just showing that there is no leaking.

Driver's front sway bar link, broken. 

Same driver's side front. CV boot torn. 

Driver's front pads

Tire built 44th of '13

Front Passenger side pads

Douglas Brand tire on passenger rear

Driver's rear missing sway bar link

Driver's rear pads

Passenger rear pads (or not)

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
10/4/17 5:37 a.m.

Have been commuting 2 1/2 hours each way, inspecting from 7-7, then phone calls and paperwork for a week.  Haven't talked to my mom about the subie.  I'll try to reach her today, talk to her more about the deets, then give you a call in a day or two.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/4/17 7:00 a.m.

No immediate rush here.  It doesn't go to the State for Inspection and clearance until Friday 13th so it is not going into anyone else's name until that is completed.  Adding a little complexity, I plan to leave for The Challenge on Tues, Oct 17 until Monday Oct 23.    

EDIT: I sold the dark green Subaru to Patrick. He later writes about the car here.

The following car I bought was a 2007 Ford Focus ZX5

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/17 7:58 a.m.

I would be up to my eyes in subies if i started bidding on stuff, that 97 legacy would be an incredible winter beater.   Probably good that i don't.  Once i make some things go away then maybe i will throw out some bids

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PKTS5PEMWXbmLboAP3yeg5dsYtpwH1aQuMFEPcwD2u6T8LPxmciGvYeFnbWlicpS