stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/13 6:31 a.m.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3615855283.html

Seen this one yet, Evan?

(uh....I mean "OHIO" geeze you'd think I'd know how to spell it...)

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/14/13 7:05 a.m.

I love me some Opel Manta but I can't tell anything about that one except the guy is too berkeleying lazy to move some E36 M3 off it before taking pics so we can see what he is trying to sell.

For $500, I'd just go get it anyway if it weren't a 16hr round trip. I'd add the condition that it be outside and hosed off though. I'm glad it's far away. I'm almost worked up enough to call him anyway.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
2/14/13 7:43 a.m.

I agree GPS, but then you see what a POS it is.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/13 8:09 a.m.

I always thought those were good looking engines. Or, at least, they have nice valve covers.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/14/13 11:49 a.m.

Evan is now forgiven for posting the X1/9.

Because dude. Duuuuuuuuuuuude.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/13 1:01 p.m.

no room for project no room for project no room for project

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/13 1:20 p.m.

Neither do I.

No transportation at the moment either.

Still thinking about it... and whatever you do, don't do a search on Manta images.

This shouldn't last long and we will be out of our misery.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/13 4:20 p.m.

This thing is all over the place on price, now listed for $1200. I swear I saw it a few days ago for $2500.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3629830162.html

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/23/13 4:57 p.m.

I'm confused: '71 or '74? "1971 opel manta that is a fully caged rallye car no engine or tranny" with photos of both.

My dad had a '74 Opel Manta Rally when it was NEW. Went from family/weekend rally car to stage rally only when he rolled it on a weekend rally. My mom was NOT happy about that... I went on a number of local TSD rally's with him back then, and it's pretty much what made me join the SCCA now in my 40's.

I still say that was one fun car. And would be tempted if closer.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
2/23/13 9:11 p.m.

I'm confused also. 1971 Opel Manta with no engine or trans that comes with a 1971 Opel Manta rally with cage, engine from a GT (at least the GT valve cover, can't tell if it has the GT aluminum oil pan) and trans. Pix are of one car. At least that's how I intertreted his words.

I don't recognize the carb. It's not the original Solex or the often changed to Weber.
The 1900 Opel engine was used in most of their offerings. When installed in a GT it used cast aluminum valve cover and oil pan. When used in Manta, Kadett or 1900 Ascona a stamped steel valve cover and oil pan was used.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t3qc2tFeUDzeE1LBBh4mZ3LgHQ8mVyVFIpJb2WUO0lYKAdi0amQ1Oz9SYpXD6EGr