MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/28/12 10:08 p.m.

It's time to sell the big ugly. I have had it for a year or so, put about 10k miles on it, hauled thousands of pounds of scrap and junk in it, moved outrageous amounts of stuff in it, hauled armies of children too and from school in it, and generally enjoyed driving something that does everything better than such an incredible monstrosity should.

Details:
-2003 Chevy Express 2500
-8 lug
-4l80e
-GIANT front swaybar (no stock swaybar bushing fits)
-Tahoe seats mounted in second row making it a 5 seater
-7 1/2 feet behind second row with space under seat for longer lumber.
-Massive weight capacity (personally hauled 1900lbs of scrap inside and it accelerated/cornered/stopped like a normal vehicle)

The bad:
-High miles.
-ABS light on
-shifts hard -interior door handles broken
-windshield cracked
-crazy vibration if you cruise too long above 55mph (needs front end refresh)
-tires are done

The good:
-It is a beast.
-People get out of your way.
-It corners damn flat!
-Includes Cargo Van barrier wall and door.
-It has sooo much room- See a couch or a Mini by the side of the road in the trash that you want to take home? Throw it in the back, you have room.
-Parts are cheap! (They made many many billions of these so RockAuto and junkyards are your friends)
-Underpriced: Kbb says a crappy one this young should be over $3k. Craigslist says $4k.
-You might be able to talk Spinout007 into driving it to Washington for you for gas money!

Contact me here or at 3 five 2 three 3 nine two one 9 nine.

I will add current pictures with seats tomorrow.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/28/12 11:14 p.m.

I berking hate you. Really.

bengro
bengro New Reader
6/29/12 6:19 a.m.

Can't wait to see pics with the seats.

Also how high is high miles?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/29/12 9:35 a.m.
bengro wrote: Can't wait to see pics with the seats.

Here you go:

I have a Suburban removable 3rd row and a set of Tahoe second row seats I will throw in if the buyer wants them.

bengro wrote: Also how high is high miles?

Pretty high:

The motor does have salvage yard ink on it so it has been replaced at some point. Unfortunately I don't know when.

Look at all that room!

I do have the factory rubber mat that goes in the back.

The Van was an AC service vehicle for a mobile home sales company that covered all of North Central Florida. It acquired the vast majority of its miles on the highway prior to the PO picking it up a few years ago. Whoever gets it will need to put some work into it if they want it perfect, but there's no way to loose money on this beast.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/29/12 9:38 a.m.

Just an example of it's indifference to carrying a load: For about 6 months up until about 3 days ago I have been driving around with a Vortec 4.8 strapped down in the back. The van didn't care.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
6/29/12 11:19 a.m.

Thank you for posting this when I don't have money......its basically a duplicate of the pedovan I drive for work......well, except my work one is an undercover pedovan(sherrif's brown)

I can attest to these van's awesomeness though. I regularly have 600-1600lbs in the back of mine daily, and it doesn't care.

failboat
failboat Dork
6/29/12 1:11 p.m.

I rented one of these on a week long trip to FL, because it was cheaper than renting a subcompact. The cost of gas made the expense of rental pretty even. Van > Subcompact

Dont buy a subcompact, buy a cheap van!

GLWS

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/12 1:25 p.m.

Having helped install and fab the back seat brackets in this thing, I can tell you this, THEY'RE BEEFY! much bigger than they should be. But hauling precious cargo will do that to you. If I had the $$ for it, I would consider it for a backup hauler/beater. CHEAP LS/auto swap donor is all else fails. You could prob scrap the body and get most of your $$ back out of it.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
6/29/12 1:33 p.m.

I was hoping to see the seats mounted with the cargo cage still in place.

I bet my parents wished they had such a setup at times.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/29/12 2:40 p.m.

Dare I ask what sort of mileage it gets? Has a/c? Tow capacity?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/29/12 3:05 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Dare I ask what sort of mileage it gets? Has a/c? Tow capacity?

-11mpg in town on the cheap swill.
-Cold AC
-I think its somewhere around 10k. It doesn't have a hitch installed, but it does have a tow/haul button on the dash.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
6/29/12 3:06 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Dare I ask what sort of mileage it gets? Has a/c? Tow capacity?

IDK about this ones a/c, but the '03 6L/at 2500 gets approx 16-19mpg(combined).....and these can tow equivelant of the drivetrain....

Honestly, I personally wouldn't tow more than I would with a 5.3L rwd half ton.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/29/12 3:07 p.m.
cghstang wrote: I was hoping to see the seats mounted with the cargo cage still in place. I bet my parents wished they had such a setup at times.

It was tempted.

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
6/29/12 4:12 p.m.

Got 125 and change on our 03 Savannah 3500 15 pass. The only problems so far have been the front hubs. Replaced twice so far. Ball joints replaced last month, and the whole throttle body went kerflooey a while back (shaft worn, tps went bad as well) It sees bad roads on a daily basis (wash boarded dirt roads), its getting new brakes as I type and a new set of Bilstiens next month. 16-18 hwy and a bit less around town....we're getting another one next year with tax return $$$...if there is any

corytate
corytate Dork
6/29/12 6:46 p.m.

I drove parts in one of these a bit. They are awesome. People stop to let you in in East Charlotte Rush Hour traffic, too.
I want this so bad, would be perfect car hauler + everything else hauler. would probably fit my z in the back of it lol.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
6/30/12 6:36 a.m.

For a northerner like me, this thing is worth the money for a shell that isn't rotted by rust. Everything else is a bolt on piece that can be replaced until it does rot. Good luck with the sale.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/30/12 1:35 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: For a northerner like me, this thing is worth the money for a shell that isn't rotted by rust. Everything else is a bolt on piece that can be replaced until it does rot. Good luck with the sale.

I agree completely. This is one of those vehicles you can keep going as long as you choose to. Everybody sells parts for them from throwaway cheap salvage stuff to moderately priced parts store stuff to reasonably well priced online factory dealer networks. Anyone can diy repairs at home, any corner shop can work on it, or if you feel spendy any dealership can work on them. Then when you are done with it, there is always someone who can use a beastly work vehicle who will buy it from you.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/3/12 7:27 a.m.

Bump for me vacuuming the interior.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/3/12 7:44 a.m.

Wish you were closer, but also thankful you aren't!

TAftonomos
TAftonomos New Reader
7/3/12 9:35 a.m.

PM'd you. Interested, and not too far away (Atlanta).

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/3/12 9:47 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Bump for me vacuuming the interior.

WHAT???

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/3/12 10:49 a.m.
dyintorace wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: Bump for me vacuuming the interior.
WHAT???

False alarm, went to the parts store to get oil change stuff for the Previa instead.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/26/12 6:14 p.m.

SOLD to a painter in Tallahassee.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/12 10:36 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: SOLD to a painter in Tallahassee.

Excellent!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H33XrZnIP9Ia3ZmF8jNhTC1xKVoW6ly0Q7Gs62OytzCxhe40ca3IjFgmvjzPMsB5