5/21/13 8:33 a.m.

Not Mine http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/3819064606.html

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
5/21/13 9:05 a.m.

klipless
klipless Reader
5/21/13 9:06 a.m.

Do the upper control arms come in a box too?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
5/21/13 9:08 a.m.

Swing arm front suspension!

But give the guy some credit, he put a lot of effort into building his dream, it's more than I've done.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
5/21/13 9:20 a.m.

MY WIFE PUT A STOP TO MY FUNDS. COULD NOT AFFORD TO BUILD WIND TUNNEL.
Cool find.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
5/21/13 9:34 a.m.

I like it a lot. I'd register it as a kit car, paint it up in old Marlboro livery, and turn some heads on the highway.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/21/13 9:44 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: give the guy some credit, he put a lot of effort into building his dream, it's more than I've done.

well put. I like it

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/21/13 9:53 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Agreed. This could be fun at the autocross.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/21/13 11:02 a.m.

It's terrifying (anything besides good intentions keeping the uprights upright?), but it is a good reminder to get out to the damn shop and build something.

Electrical inspector coming to do the garage's second-to-last inspection before drywall in 1-3 hours.

Yes, I'm going to randomly blither about my shop in every vaguely related moment until it's done and I get to use it; then I'll try to contain my blithering to my own build threads to some extent

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/13 11:04 a.m.

At first I was like , but then it dawned on me that he was buiklding his dream, it really doesn't look that bad, and it's reasonably priced.

I'd slap a 13B into it, re-do the suspension, and paint it in a classic 80's/90's F1 scheme. It would be a fun car.

Adrian_Thompson
5/21/13 12:52 p.m.
ransom wrote: It's terrifying (anything besides good intentions keeping the uprights *upright*?), but it is a good reminder to get out to the damn shop and build something.

Basically the same as an Imp front suspension. In the Imp pic you can see one bolt horizontally through the lower control arm that holds the king pin / stub axle, there's a second one vertically hidden by the spring/shock. By machining a small amount off the forging you can adjust camber by screwing that vertical one up or down. Basically the whole king pin/stub axle is held ridged in relation to the control arm. You get massive camber change which worked way better than it sounds.

It worked way better than you would have thought on many spaceframe imps with very wide tires.

ransom
5/21/13 1:01 p.m.

Yeah, but... More than the geometry, I'm just worried that it looks like it's built out of tiny tubing. There's no triangulation anywhere on that chassis; I just suspect this guy of not having given proper thought to the strength and stiffness requirements...

That is an interesting note about the Imp, though... And I could be totally wrong about the requirements. The lower the outer end of that arm is, the smaller the lever trying to bend the upright outward in a corner, no? I don't like the looks of it, but I've been wrong before...

Adrian_Thompson
5/21/13 1:12 p.m.

I'm not sure he was planning on building a racable car, he mentions a 212cc engine. I'm sure he was just building something that was mobile for parades etc, not an autocross car.

BTW, you want a E36 M3ty chassis? Look at an 80's Dutton kit car. Thousands of these things were built and driven on the street!

ransom
5/21/13 1:14 p.m.

That was the foundation of a business!?

I'm going into the kit car business tomorrow! I can do better than that! (Joking, joking; I'm reasonably aware of the rest of the issues )

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/21/13 1:25 p.m.

A few years back I was looking at a tube chassis for a Sterling that makes that Dutton look like a good idea. It was pretty much 2-d with only a floor and mustang II suspension tacked on the front.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/21/13 1:47 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: It was pretty much 2-d with only a floor and mustang II suspension tacked on the front.

Doesn't that pretty much describe the VW platform upon which the Sterling was originally based?

+1 on the guy building his dream... hell of a lot more than I've done.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/21/13 1:58 p.m.

time to repost the Zhao brothers F1 replica https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXO9MXv6BCo

I can't find the original video that shows the build.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
5/25/13 3:13 p.m.

Well, it is better looking than a current Indycar.........

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
5/26/13 12:15 p.m.

Well, with 212 raging cc of displacement, the aero package will probably not be highly stressed either. ;) As said, beats the pants off of MY F1 project.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B0PqH0KLXDftkL2H8f9Y6IROupqmggGU6e8DRpStfDsPPOvo9nUnpXPLtGPHJYAz