Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
12/30/09 5:41 a.m.

Not mine...just passing it on...has MD tags, so most likely legit!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/1528548962.html

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/09 12:10 p.m.

If you're looking for a collectible Miata, that's it.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
12/30/09 1:37 p.m.

Paint the interior black, (Preferably with a brush) and you would have a contender!

Joey

joey48442 wrote: Paint the interior black, (Preferably with a brush) and you would have a contender! Joey

Noooo,

eBay the red stuff (which gets ridiculous $$$$) and get a junkyard black interior.

motomoron
motomoron Reader
12/30/09 10:27 p.m.

God help me I'm going to see it on Friday.

To make this happen it required me replying to the Craigslist posting translated into Spanish via Babelfish, and getting a call back from an English speaking relative, but I have a date.

If it's possible to "call dibs" in the GRM community, I'd like to do so now. If I opt out I'll furnish all details about the car Friday afternoon.

I reckon if I'm going to end up with a Miata eventually, this is about as good as I can do.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/30/09 10:30 p.m.

I'm glad you dibs'd it. I was REALLY tempted to go and try to fetch it.

motomoron
motomoron Reader
12/31/09 3:14 p.m.

If I get talked down by my wife I'll report back here w/ pics and probably psi/cylinder.

It hadn't even ocurred to me that it would be a kick-ass E stock autocross car, and that I could do nothing other than freshen the bushings and shocks, buy a set of Hoosiers and be set. I was alerted to this by a friend who speaks fluent autocross.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/31/09 3:23 p.m.

It basically has the R package suspension and wheels that weigh about the same as air. It's not going to be the smoothest ride, but the shocks can be revalved and I've heard that a set of good bumpstops should take care of the worst of the harshness.

motomoron
motomoron Reader
1/1/10 1:37 a.m.

Keith: Reasuring words. That said, the tire sidewalls are the sum of the suspension travel on the Sprite, and the M3 has 525# / 630# spring rates and swaybars like fenceposts. I suspect it'll be the second most reasonable vehicle behind the Tacoma SR5 prerunner.

Notice that I'm talking about it in the "currently owned tense". Not a good sign.

Dare I say I'll be a Miata owner in 12 hours.

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
1/1/10 8:27 a.m.

Make sure you check the car out very well. With it being this cheap, and not sold yet, this may be the car that shows up for sale in NOVA every so often that is a total rust bucket....

If not, the SM guys up in that area would have probably snatched it up ny now. That being said, if it's a solid car, it's a killer deal. Good luck!

motomoron
motomoron Reader
1/1/10 1:59 p.m.

Car was absolutely beat to sh1t. Every panel was dented, passenger door and fender really bad, front clip panel fit suggests hard hit at some point.

Cheap aftermarket stereo, the ubiquitous Viper 2000 alarm (Doooooooo-eeep! Dooooooooo-eep! Neeeeerp!Neeeeerp! Haaaa-weeeee! Haaaa-weeeee!)

I would wager theres a bundle of Scotchlocks, wire nuts, lamp cord and electrical tape under the dash that's affecting the gross vehicle weight.

Upholstery and steering wheel were used up, rust and oxidation on all trim, red electrical tape stemming windshield leaks. It has Bilsteins, aftermarket (rusted) springs, thin rotors, thin EBC blue pads in front. Generally it's just all used up.

Owner is convinced that it's a solid Kelly Blue Book good+ car and is worth $2500 'cause of the new top, stereo, and alarm.

I offered $800 and now that I'm back home am glad he refused.

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
1/1/10 6:15 p.m.

That sounds like the car.....

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
1/2/10 2:06 a.m.

Sorry the car turned out to be a disappointment.

johnhammer
johnhammer New Reader
1/2/10 8:07 a.m.

Always have the clarity of mind to walk away.

Earlier this year I was looking for the donor car for my current Spec Miata project & found what was surely THE CAR off Craigslist. Woman owner who was very polite with a '95M, a bunch of photos that looked darn good, priced right... I loaded up the trailer & drove FOUR HOURS to Atlanta to buy it.

Got there...and it had been hit in the rear...HARD...the sway bar end link was still broken & hanging there. The photos pulled a Sarah Jessica Parker on me; looked great until I got there in person. Windows didn't roll up, oil leaks everywhere, interior trashed.

That was a long day of disappointment. I feel your pain. The right car is out there, wait for it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dCyNEhkEsAyWEKPPTIfrebWUxW5MM2YqHpwU9xGmLWKMopwaIKR4vr8p3vfBkbAc