Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/26/16 12:31 a.m.

That's right, YOU do!

I need to make room in my garage, it's like Thunderdome. Two bikes enter! One bike leaves!

The CX650E was my second bike, kinda rough when I got it, still kinda rough but totally reliable.

I’ve had it for three years and it’s never left me anywhere. When I got it, it needed the starter clutch replaced which is an engine-out job so when I had the motor out, I also did what CX owners call the “triple bypass”.

I changed the stator, water pump seal and the timing chain and tensioners. These three items require the motor to be taken out to change them so at this age, it’s a good idea to replace them if you have to open the engine.

It’s got 75,000 km on it. It had 64,000 when I bought it. It’s a water cooled, shaft drive Honda so it’s probably good for 300,000km and will still be running when the cockroaches take over.

It’s a 1983, the only year they were made and they were not sold in the USA. Japan, Europe, Australia and Canada only. Engine parts are available from David Silver Spares in the UK, I order from them and it only takes about 4 days to get here.

It’s a Honda so it shares the switchgear and electrics with the CBX and Silverwing bikes from that era so bits are easy to find on the interwebs.

It has a Vetter Quicksilver touring fairing installed which proved to be very handy for long trips.

I’ve got some spare parts for it kicking around as well.

I charged the battery and hit the button today, it started right up after sitting for about 8 months. Not too bad!

I just don’t ride it much anymore and I really don’t need more than three motorcycles.

If someone needs a good starter bike, this would be fine.

Price is $650.00, $1.00 per cc.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
3/26/16 5:51 a.m.

As I eagerly clicked on the thread, I looked at the photos to see which CX650 I was looking at. What the heck is that thing? I shouted. It is nit a standard, Turbo, Custom (ew) or an Interstate. So then I had to copy "CX650e" and toss it into the omnibox to se what the heck I was looking at. Bravo, Honda. You finally made the old CX look good in stock form, just before you pulled the plug.

Clicking your profile caused a sigh of relief,as now I know I won't be searching in vain for the CB1100f looking fairing, and the most likely nonexistent brackets to mount it. Unfortunately, now I need to find and/or build a nice one locally...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/26/16 9:50 a.m.

I do have the original fairing and bracket..

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/26/16 10:44 a.m.

Dang. Honda did get it right...finally. Wish this was close.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/26/16 12:29 p.m.

I never thought I would want a CX but this is tempting. If it is still available late May I may need to do an epic fly and ride.

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
3/26/16 1:21 p.m.

So where are you located?!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
3/26/16 6:55 p.m.

Profile says Langley, BC Canada.

@EvanB- that would indeed be epic!

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/26/16 7:14 p.m.

I bought my first road going motorcycle, I think it was in 1983, for $500 and it was not as nice or in as good of shape as that Honda. As these things go... this is a free motorcycle. It wouldn't even be the most expensive part of a fly-n-ride for most of the US.

I don't really want it - but I do want someone in the southwestern US to do a pictorial essay of their ride home.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
3/26/16 9:37 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I do have the original fairing and bracket..

Wrong answer.

Now I need to figure how difficult it is to bring a 25+ year old motorcycle over the border.

And I am sure the Loonie/Dollar exchange rates will do the opposite of dissuading me...

Cooter
Cooter Reader
3/26/16 9:50 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: It wouldn't even be the most expensive part of a fly-n-ride for most if the US.

I'm not sure what you consider most of the US, but I can ride it to Chicago for under $150 in fuel, and the same in lodging.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/26/16 10:03 p.m.

In reply to Cooter:

Can you fly to BC then ride it home for less than $650? I'm in PA and I can just barely pull it off.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/16 10:05 p.m.

As a former CX500 owner, I have to refute your reliability claim a bit. I rode a 1980 for 10 years (it was 20 years old when I got it) and the clutch cable snapped on me. Sure, it was 29 years old, improperly routed and never lubricated and that was the only thing that EVER broke...but come on!

jcrosby
jcrosby New Reader
3/26/16 10:19 p.m.

I had an '85 Shadow 500. Went through 3 clutch cables before I found the problem. That bike had metaphorically been run into the ground but still ran great until it was literally run into the ground. I want to buy this bad but I'm limited to >2 wheels these days.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/26/16 10:29 p.m.

Don't forget, the price is in Canuck pesos, That makes it somewhere around $20.00 US.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/16 11:36 p.m.

That is one heck of a deal! GLWS

Cooter
Cooter Reader
3/27/16 5:09 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Don't forget, the price is in Canuck pesos, That makes it somewhere around $20.00 US.

Stop reminding me.

And someone else tell me what I need to do to get it across the border. This is the only good looking CX, IMHO.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
3/27/16 5:10 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: In reply to Cooter: Can you fly to BC then ride it home for less than $650? I'm in PA and I can just barely pull it off.

Easily.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/27/16 10:50 a.m.

Can it be ridden over the border by the owner and sold in the US?

EvanB
3/27/16 3:10 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: Profile says Langley, BC Canada. @EvanB- that would indeed be epic!

My cousin is getting married in Fort Worth, TX on May 21 so I am trying to think of a crazy road trip to get there. Flying in and riding this to TX then OH would definitely qualify.

Must research importing to US.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/28/16 4:30 p.m.

Sale is pending....

EvanB
3/28/16 8:00 p.m.

That's a relief.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XhnAJbVqngCMWp2INMdHusbatGagVrjTdfFsAafPIlHSbPW4dPjCW8pOSCXnscD8