spin_out
spin_out Reader
1/7/11 8:51 a.m.

I just noticed the heading is wrong it should read - 205/60/13

I'm looking for some challenge friendly priced rubber for the $2011 build. I'm pretty much limited to 13" rims (it has an odd bolt pattern), which means I'm looking for 13" rubber. About the biggest tire I can fit is a 205/60/13, so any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

P.S.
Oddly enough the car came with brand new tires with zero miles on them. Unfortunately they are probably 10 years old, and have a 440 tread wear rating. I guess I could use them for a burn out contest. :-) Or, if I can't find new tires, I may end up using them at the challenge. Ouch! That's scary :(

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
1/7/11 8:21 p.m.

TR7? Alfa? Odd bolt pattern. If so, you can redrill the bolt stud holes offset and press in a stud with a larger knurled end and get yourself to 4X100. That's what I do on my TR8s to go from 4X95.25 to 4X100. From there, Miata wheels practically fall from the sky.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
1/7/11 8:51 p.m.

Contact this guy:

http://stores.ebay.com/Race-Tires-USDRRT?_rdc=1

He sells used R-comps and some of his prices are crazy cheap. I believe he is a occasional poster on here too. His store doesn't have any 13" R's in stock right now but his inventory changes pretty often.

tooncesthecat
tooncesthecat New Reader
1/8/11 4:46 a.m.

Spec Racer Fords run on 13" rubber. You may be able to find some take-offs for cheap or even free from those guys.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
1/8/11 9:46 a.m.

Thanks guys.
- Yes I did look at USDRT and will keep looking.

• I really like the Miata wheel idea, but I already restored the factory rims, and they are pretty, and they fit my theme. (But I will do this if tires are impossible. Thanks.)

• Spec Racer Fords - That's the one I had not checked. Thanks.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
1/8/11 5:45 p.m.

The problem with Spec racer tires is that IIRC they run a bias-ply pure race tire. Challenge rules specify that tires must be DOT compliant (with the exception of slicks at the strip).

Good luck.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
1/8/11 8:24 p.m.

Many IT and Prod race cars run 13 inch wheels. Post a wanted ad in your local racer track day forum.(COM, EMRA, Bimmerforums, etc.) Target 2002, Civic, and Rabbit racers. If your close to SE Mass I'll give you some old Hoosiers in 225 45 13, but you'll need a 7" rim minimum. Getting rid of old race rubber is a chore.

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
1/8/11 8:53 p.m.

Another vote for used R compound tires, I hit the hoosier tent back when the scca runoffs were still at Mid Ohio, picked up three complete sets of 13" tires in excellent shape for free.

Look at this as an excuse to visit Sebring, look at the schedule, figure out when an appropriate class of car will be racing and go make some friends.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
1/12/11 7:33 a.m.

Thanks guys. Good news, I found 2 tires. I'm still looking because I beileve the car takes 4. :)

And I'll probably need some test and tune tires. I'm always worried about using up my tires while testing. This year I think a second set for testing would be smart.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
1/14/11 6:29 p.m.

I've got 4 Yokohama A048 that we ran on the 5.0 Miata at last years Challenge. They have a couple autocross runs and three trips down the drag strip.

When the tires were dismounted the beads got cut up a bit.

Located in Daytona. Will take $100 and if they don't hold air I'll refund your money for the tires back.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
1/17/11 7:46 a.m.

Hi Greg, Yes I would like them, thanks.
I tried to send you a private message, but it might have bombed. Let me know if this weekend is ok. Thanks, Mark

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
1/17/11 9:16 a.m.

Hey Mark,

I will not be here this weekend but can make them available if you are going to be in town. Or if your coming for the Rolex 24 I can meet you there.

The PM on here goes to my old grm address and we haven't been able to change it yet. I'll call Tom about that.

My email is gregory.k.voth (at) gmail.com

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7dQ3yJfMVjOo29hUk7RAdwzzYwrDjOy343TsTTEMQY6yZfF1ESCe1rna8BprNuq8