1 2
Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
6/16/16 9:00 a.m.

Hi GRM collective,

I tried to drive my Miata under a Camry a few months ago and it has been sitting in my parents' garage, and now I need it gone!

The good--It's a 5MT 1.8L Miata with the Torsen differential and 105k miles. I bought the car with 88k and regularly changed engine oil with Mobil 1 and differential and transmission with Redline and the Ford stuff. The timing belt was done around 100k and the clutch has less than 1000 miles with a resurfaced flywheel. The brakes have relatively new pads rotors all around and the front two calipers have been rebuilt with new seals and pistons. I haven't touched any of the suspension parts, but I was not having any problems either. The car was my daily driver and I can honestly say I've never had a problem with it.

The bad--The car does not currently run, as the radiator and parts of the intake (I saved the MAF and parts of the air cleaner) were damaged in the accident. The valve cover also has a chunk taken out of it around the timing gears but the engine otherwise was undamaged and does not look like it would leak oil. I've removed a lot of the damaged parts. I ended up with another Miata, so I have cannibalized a lot of miscellaneous parts for myself, mostly interior components, the rear finish panel and bumper, and some AC parts. The interior is nearly completely disassembled from when I did not know what to do with the car. The soft top was in really bad shape anyway so has been removed and discarded. Obviously the most salient bad point is the damage to the driver's side quadrant of the car.

Long story short--wrecked body, good engine and suspension. Deserves a good home! I should have some pictures to upload by the end of the week.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/16/16 9:34 a.m.

I've got a nice '96 body with a complete interior and a clean title located in south GA I will donate to anyone who wants to pursue this.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/16/16 11:52 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

So what you're saying is I really need a 2-car trailer? ;)

Unfortunately, you are both too far away.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Dork
6/16/16 12:47 p.m.

I'd be in for it, but Too far away.....

That is unless someone is heading north after the challenge with an empty two car trailer.

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder Reader
6/16/16 1:20 p.m.

If the intake manifold, the aluminum part, is broken, I have a '94 intake sitting in my garage for whoever tries to rebuild this. I also have a front cross member and all the suspension if it got into that, and a three month old radiator. A case or two of beer would check a lot of boxes!

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
6/17/16 7:19 a.m.

Thanks for all of the support, everyone! I hope to snap some pictures this weekend.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/17/16 8:38 a.m.

Double, scan through old GRM articles and find the one where Tim build a Catterham 7 using Miata gear. It always looks easy when someone else does it, but it was a very cool car when finished.

Dan

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
6/17/16 10:35 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Double, scan through old GRM articles and find the one where Tim build a Catterham 7 using Miata gear. It always looks easy when someone else does it, but it was a very cool car when finished. Dan

That is a fantastic idea and was my first thought, but unfortunately I don't have the space and it is at my parents' garage. Hopefully this can be an opportunity for someone else and if they're local I'd lend a hand.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
6/20/16 12:11 a.m.

If I could sell a car or two fast and find a way to get more than one car to my house, I'd be interested in this adventure.

TheEnd
TheEnd New Reader
6/20/16 5:32 a.m.

Where in Fl? I'm in Lakeland.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
6/20/16 6:57 a.m.
TheEnd wrote: Where in Fl? I'm in Lakeland.

Just above Orlando, in Lake Mary.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
6/22/16 5:02 p.m.

Hey all,

I need this thing to disappear. I'll take $500 cash if someone can come get it this week!! With SVreX's offer, this is an awesome deal!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/22/16 7:31 p.m.

...and I will sweeten the deal by including the full suspension, carriers, hubs, brakes, etc. (both front and rear). I will make it a roller, not a tub, if you can make it go away within 2 weeks.

That should leave you with enough spare parts to choose the best ones, and sell off the spares for a 100% free running Miata.

Limited time offer. If no one speaks up quickly, it's going to scrap. I need the space.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/16 7:57 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Double, scan through old GRM articles and find the one where Tim build a Catterham 7 using Miata gear. It always looks easy when someone else does it, but it was a very cool car when finished. Dan

That's the CMC Locost build. That car had some problems that never made it into the magazine (like the fact that the diff fell out pretty much immediately due to a design problem), but with some tweaking they can be made to work really well

However, the existence of the Exocet has made a Locost a much tougher sell. And this sounds like it would be an excellent Exocet donor.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
6/23/16 11:44 a.m.
SVreX wrote: ...and I will sweeten the deal by including the full suspension, carriers, hubs, brakes, etc. (both front and rear). I will make it a roller, not a tub, if you can make it go away within 2 weeks. That should leave you with enough spare parts to choose the best ones, and sell off the spares for a 100% free running Miata. Limited time offer. If no one speaks up quickly, it's going to scrap. I need the space.

Hey, thanks again. I'll owe you! I'm in the same boat and really need mine gone. Please someone take advantage before SVreX and I have to take drastic measures!!

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Dork
6/23/16 12:57 p.m.

This is a Smokin' Hot, awesome deal you two guys are throwing out there. If these were both within a 6 hour drive from me, I'd be on it already. (shipping two non running cars over 12 hours away adds BIG $$$ to the deal for me). There has to be some forum members down that way who need these.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/23/16 2:31 p.m.

In reply to IndyJoe:

JohnRW1621 recently used Uship to ship a car almost twice that far for $475.

Seems like the shipping cost is not prohibitive, especially considering free car. (some assembly required).

maj75
maj75 Reader
6/23/16 7:56 p.m.

I don't need another project, I don't need another project, I don't need another project.....

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Dork
6/24/16 8:57 a.m.

In reply to maj75:

Dude! You are in Florida! Do this deal.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe Dork
6/24/16 9:05 a.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to IndyJoe: JohnRW1621 recently used Uship to ship a car almost twice that far for $475. Seems like the shipping cost is not prohibitive, especially considering free car. (some assembly required).

I have no idea how he got it shipped that cheap. When I get quotes from Uship they are as follows:

$816 to ship non-operational vehicle (Miata) from Albany, GA to Indianapolis $833 to ship non-operational vehicle (Miata) from Lake Mary, FL to Indianapolis.

Total would be $1649(shipping)+ $500(Miata) + Free (Miata)= $2149 my total cost (plus assembly). I can buy a running/driving example here in Indy for less than that.

This is a good deal for someone more local.

CWR67
CWR67 None
6/24/16 2:41 p.m.

Double_Wishbone - I'm in! I'm just up I-4 from you in Volusia and can get to you with the trailer.

SVreX - If the offer is still on the table I'll take you up on it. Have trailer will travel!

TiggerWelder - Two questions .... Are you in the Central Florida area as well? Beer of preference? :-)

Once I pull all the pieces together and take stock, I'll post the updates on the Builds and Project Cars forum.

Messages inbound!

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
6/24/16 3:16 p.m.
CWR67 wrote: Double_Wishbone - I'm in! I'm just up I-4 from you in Volusia and can get to you with the trailer. SVreX - If the offer is still on the table I'll take you up on it. Have trailer will travel! TiggerWelder - Two questions .... Are you in the Central Florida area as well? Beer of preference? :-) Once I pull all the pieces together and take stock, I'll post the updates on the Builds and Project Cars forum. Messages inbound!

maj75 messaged me first; I'm waiting to hear back from him. I'll message you back as soon as I hear from him!

CWR67
CWR67 New Reader
6/24/16 3:28 p.m.

Understood...thanks.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/24/16 3:32 p.m.

In reply to CWR67:

Yes, offer is still open. Give me some feedback as soon as you are able, because I was going to clear it out this weekend. If you want it, I need to put the rear end back in and send you some pics/ details. If you are not interested, I will drop it on a trailer and move it a step or two closer to the scrap yard.

maj75
maj75 Reader
6/24/16 4:20 p.m.

I'm going to pass. I've really got two other projects I need to focus on.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mLAroCejDz94kwQgwHP7A2uQik4eYzJLulOB0bc9KLHnq2zZugWkC0kWIhAiYEmY