1 2
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/21 4:05 p.m.

In reply to preach (fs) :

Check the shift linkage at both the shifter and the transaxle. Both ends on both cables are plastic and known to fail with this kind of result.

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/20/21 4:21 p.m.

I was able to gravity bleed after changing the slave (was making an annoying squeaking sound). At least on the 5 speed (I had a base Cayman) it wasn't too hard to replace, most painful part was putting the spring on. 

As for the shift linkages I would highly recommend the function-first cable ends, no increase in NVH and a nice solid shift feel:  http://www.function-first.com/products/engine-trans/shifter-cable-ends

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/20/21 4:33 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Check the shift linkage at both the shifter and the transaxle. Both ends on both cables are plastic and known to fail with this kind of result.

It shifts fine when the engine is off. Edit: I know it is a wear item, but I think it is clutch related. I have minimal clutch actuation. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/21 5:07 p.m.

Mine shifted engine off as well because it wasn't actually engaging anything. It's worth looking at.

preach (fs)
7/17/21 6:26 a.m.

Well, after a pressure bleed in really E36 M3ty conditions, not much changed. Off to the shop on the 26th.

I am still hoping that it just needs bled. I was doing it in some very sketchy conditions. Sand, plywood under the floor jack, plywood under a jack stand that was crooked, tire under the skid. I could barely feel the bleeder and could not get a wrench on it. I made a mess using a socket and do not feel I got the best bleed out of it.

We will see the result in another 10 days.

This might be the first big money repair for this car in the 5 years I have owned it. Zero complaints.

Guess we're taking the Charger to TN and the Tail of the Dragon. Not really a loss I guess.

preach (fs)
7/27/21 5:02 p.m.

Clutch job. 95k, me driving it pretty hard for 5 summers. 52k since I bought it.

My Opel is sad.

preach (fs)
8/17/21 4:19 p.m.

Clutch went. Picked the car up last Friday. Biggest $$ repair to date. Had the rear main to the throwout bearing replaced.

Drives great again, but I am giving the new disc ~500mi before I work it.

Decided the POS that is currently clogging The Toilet will be pushed out for the winter and the Cayman will go into my shop for the first time. I need to do a few things to it for it to be perfect again and I should be able to do them all at home, time permitting.

List currently is:

-Aluminum tie-rod was installed without lube and married the steel steering rack. I need to cut it off and replace it. I will do both sides since I am there.

-I hit a turtle a few years ago and it bent the passenger front wheel. It still balances, but oddly, it is the same side that the tie-rod is going on. I will replace it with a good one and get this one pressed back into shape. I have plans of top speeding this car and getting my 175mph license from a local land speed affiliation. Not doing that on a suspect wheel.

-I have mismatched tires F to R. I had to get a set of rears in a hurry last year crossing the country so I ended up with 300tw(?) fronts and 500tw rears. Think I am going Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s.

-I also kind of want to do wheel studs. I am not a fan of lug bolts at all. Then do I run spacers in true hotboi fashion? I would love the look of filled fenders and it is about $200 for the spacers.

-Last, really, is I need to figure out why my charging ports don't have power. Both the cigar lighter in the ashtray (silly Europeans) and the accessory port in the passenger foot well don't work. I think when I first looked and said berkeley it. I was looking at the wrong fuse. Lazy and not GAF made me put it off.

Upcoming foreseeable issues, looming like a shadowy monster or scarily nice elephant in the room:

-The PASM shocks are aging. The foam bumpstops on the top are pretty haggard, once those go it's pretty much time to do the shocks. Since you are there scope creep of bushings etc. New PASM stuff or coilovers? It's a hard driven street car #1 and run in maybe...competitive events #2, I mostly just want to drive my car fast legally, I don't need to be first. If I can justify doing it now I will get the stuff and do it this winter, I am close.

-I am approaching 95k miles. At 90k Porsche has a laundry list of stuff to replace, like coil packs and other long term consumables. The IMS bearing is still a concern as it is also considered a consumable item. I check every oil change for any metal on the magnetic plug and have been great so far. The car is running great, loves to be driven, and will be repaired when necessary yet not to the recommendations. My mechanic buddy pretty much agrees.

I berkeleying love this car and have used it as it should be. I am sure I have posted our accomplishments in the last 5 years and 50k+ miles. It is a better car than I am a driver and forgives much more than most wives will. I knew the maintenance would come, but damn this car has been reliable. 

If you are even slightly considering a Cayman or a Boxter (I cannot speak to older boxters but this vintage '07+) just do it.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/18/21 8:40 a.m.

Pilot Sport Cup 2's aren't really street tires.  Are you planning on driving the car around a bunch on the street?  If so, pick a different tire, like the Pilot 4S's...

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/21 8:42 a.m.

Just hit 95k miles. The new clutch has just over 500 gentle miles on it. It's ready to romp again, well at least the clutch is.

Ran into it's cousin yesterday:

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/4/21 11:09 a.m.

Really short vid of me leaving Seacoast Cars and Coffee yesterday taken by @123averysmith on IG. Soul Performance Products exhaust is on point.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/10/24 10:50 a.m.

Been a bit due to life and all. Think I drove it once last summer then all my car funds got sucked away by other cars.

Took a few tries but got the frunk open this morning put a new battery in it then moved it to the front of the shop to do some things.

It's a sad yet happy sight:

preach
6/12/24 5:15 p.m.

Dropped off at the doctor for a check up. Damn I cannot wait to get back in this thing when it's solid.

preach
6/28/24 5:58 p.m.

The bitch is back!!!

preach
6/28/24 8:27 p.m.

preach
7/3/24 9:52 p.m.
preach
7/3/24 9:55 p.m.

We (z06 c5) raced probably 4 times door to door. He got me on the top end every time but it was darn cool!

preach
7/25/24 1:19 p.m.

Funny story, my front wheel looks like a cartoon wagon wheel when it was put on a balancer.

Not sure if I mentioned this in this thread but a few years ago I hit a turtle (highly recommend you do not do that). It bent the passenger front rim but not enough to completely throw off the balancing ability. Took a bunch of weight but balance to 99%.

Apparently a bent rim is easier to bend and Monday morning I must have hit a pot hole or a manhole with depression issues. 

It's bent really bad now. Dropped it off at a tire place today. We will see.

Not sure I can trust a repaired rim so I looked for a replacement. $500 and 3 hours away from me. Well E36 M3.

preach
7/25/24 1:36 p.m.
preach said:

Dropped off at the doctor for a check up. Damn I cannot wait to get back in this thing when it's solid.

Did not mention what was done:

Coils, plugs, carbon clean, brakes on, passenger tie rods, scoped the cylinders (minor scoring but light for 97k miles), alignment, some other stuff I can't remember. Pretty much a 90k service.

It's fast, sounds insane, will glue you eyeballs to the windshield if you hammer the brakes.

I love this damn car but it may be time to part ways.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fKWmCFUqhNbEzVbsFpuKCmwNq6kb0CfB7VyeP5jwIJpHo2VABJRBRDN4MZRPA28Q