NGTD UltraDork
4/16/15 5:26 p.m.

First car in the area you live in???

Volvo 240 - reliable like an hammer.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/16/15 5:35 p.m.

In reply to ToxicTurtl3:

Your VW bug is a better idea for now. You can buy a reasonable driver for $3K, put next to nothing into it, learn quite a bit about basic cars, drive it for a couple of years, then sell it for what you've got in it- free car.

I really don't think you'll be happy playing with biodiesel for a first car. Save that for the 2nd.

Mercedes are not hard to learn, but they are hard to pay for. Don't look at them until you are in the position to spend a lot more than you can right now. Like 4X or more.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
4/16/15 5:45 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Agreed, a 1969-1978 bug is about as simple and easy to wrench on as possible, parts are very affordable, and the Pacific Northwest should be littered with good examples for cheap.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/16/15 7:10 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to SVreX: Agreed, a 1969-1978 bug is about as simple and easy to wrench on as possible, parts are very affordable, and the Pacific Northwest should be littered with good examples for cheap.

One caveat, unless you have skills in metal working find a solid one. If the heater channels are rotted it's an advanced level repair. The rest is fairly simple.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
4/16/15 7:46 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

I think I went over that with him in another thread, but good to repeat. $3k should buy a very solid driver up there without too much looking.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
4/16/15 9:09 p.m.

I don't think a good diesel Mercedes has to cost $10k, more like around half that will get a good one. Biodiesel isn't very good for diesel engines unless it is made exactly right, so using it often decreases the value of the car. Having driven both and worked on a 300sd, I don't think a bug is really much cheaper or easier to work on, and for sure not as useful.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mvWHIbOKqSTcGTk5aYNiSskkigsMkpuHdc2YY0gp4XAYImXNl23aKMatpNQK53jr