Toyanvil
Toyanvil New Reader
6/18/15 10:58 p.m.

New here, I was just told about this site and thought you guys may like this. After 36 years of running a Datsun A14 & trans in my Ser II Sunbeam it was time to go modern. I decided to install a 1.6 Miata motor & trans. The Datsun running gear has been great and looked the part, but it's time for modern EFI, 5 speed and more power. The Datsun motor The Miata motor just fit, and is a blast to drive.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
6/19/15 12:19 a.m.

Nice! I like the spark plug cover. Have any pictures of the work it took to do the swap?

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
6/19/15 2:43 p.m.

That looks great! Much more civilized than a 302 swap.

Jayisacarguy
Jayisacarguy New Reader
6/19/15 3:57 p.m.

Cool swap, both of them actually. Also kudos on the execution, very clean installs. Did you do the work yourself? I'm a datsun guy myself but the miata swap is a great choice, and no doubt a ton of fun!

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/15 4:32 p.m.

Nice job not swapping a V8. I am sure everyone will say that if you are going through the process of swapping why not go LS or 289/Tiger. I like it, keeps it light and neat.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
6/19/15 7:38 p.m.

Man, is that pretty.

Toyanvil
Toyanvil New Reader
6/19/15 11:53 p.m.

Thank you guys. I pick up a motor, trans and wiring harness. Stripped out the wires not needed. And it started right up. Next I built all the mounts. More to come.

Gary
Gary Dork
6/21/15 9:56 a.m.

Very nice! I love the look of the early Alpines with the aggressive fins. My first car was a '61 Series II Alpine, same color. Bought it in summer of '66. It succumbed to terminal rust in the rockers. I think yours has a bit more power than the one I had! And it definitely looks nicer.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/22/15 8:08 a.m.

Looks great. Keep the build pictures coming!

jakeb
jakeb HalfDork
6/22/15 7:08 p.m.

Really clean. Digging the plug cover.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
6/22/15 7:51 p.m.

Thats awesome. Lime others have said that sparkplug cover is awesome.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/22/15 8:31 p.m.

Very nice! Do continue even if we have seen the ending!

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
6/22/15 8:53 p.m.

I have always wanted to do that to my fiat 124. Looks beautiful!

Toyanvil
Toyanvil New Reader
6/22/15 11:57 p.m.

The Miata does not have a trans mount, so I built an adapter and used a chevy mount. Next I cut out the stock motor mounts. Here are the new mounts. All tacked up Trans mount Back from the powder coater.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
6/23/15 10:57 a.m.

Wow, that is awesome.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/23/15 12:52 p.m.
fiesta54 wrote: I have always wanted to do that to my fiat 124. Looks beautiful!

Not sure why? If there is one thing that was right about the 124 it would be the engine and gearbox. They were Miata quality way back when and I doubt you would notice much if any improvement. If anything I would just go for the 2L Fiat DOHC.

Toyanvil
Toyanvil New Reader
6/23/15 8:22 p.m.

Thanks guys. I had to cut the floor up for the Miata trans and the shifter is about 5" back.

I added 1/4" stand offs so the trim ring will not get lost in the dynamat & carpet.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/28/15 3:45 p.m.

Very nice. How is the shifter to console clearance?

Toyanvil
Toyanvil New Reader
6/28/15 10:06 p.m.

In that picture it is in second gear. Here it is in first. It is right where you think it should be when driving, very comfortable. The Datsun shifter was about 5 inches forward and a long throw, so I thought it would take some time to get used to, but it is very natural.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AX83Du5inxgMicDw0rIgUi0lNEftBMK0Aro1y5d24HU4gRuC0kMuvFAvG8EmIUlh