1 ... 17 18 19
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/24 6:31 p.m.

In reply to George3rd :

Dang, sorry to hear about your daughter. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/14/24 6:33 p.m.
George3rd said:

I'll get un-lazy and post some if anyone is interested.

We love Fergus.  Post more Fergus.
Thank you

George3rd
George3rd New Reader
7/12/24 1:25 p.m.

George3rd
George3rd New Reader
7/12/24 5:55 p.m.

Okay, here are some pictures of the car. The first one was the rust right behind the driver's side rear door. That one took some real work to repair. This one is from the back of the car, driver's side.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/12/24 6:14 p.m.

Fergus!

Welcome back, George!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/12/24 6:52 p.m.

Yay fergus!!!

George3rd
George3rd New Reader
7/12/24 11:06 p.m.

So enough of the rust. They don't make anything for the Country Sedan in the way of sheetmetal, so Galaxy stuff will have to do.

George3rd
George3rd New Reader
7/13/24 6:45 a.m.

So, starting at the front of the driver's side rear wheel well which honestly took the most time cutting/fitting.....   There was a LOT more work here than one mere picture can convey. Inside the wheelwell, there was more rust that reared it's ugly head. There was some detritus under the rear seat which, knowing my luck, was lit and required a quick and judicious application of chemical fire extinguisher.

George3rd
George3rd New Reader
7/13/24 7:45 a.m.

Just hitting the high points, the rear of the quarter panel went on pretty good. You can see at the rear that the Galaxy quarter panel is quite different from the Country Sedan, so hand fabrication was required to make the corner.

George3rd
George3rd New Reader
7/13/24 8:47 a.m.

The view from the rear. I know if looks rough, but there is a lot of thought/sweat that went into this piece. 

George3rd
George3rd New Reader
7/13/24 9:48 a.m.

This is one of the most controversial changes, retiring the column shift for a floor shift. The column shifter was so sloppy (how sloppy was it?) that it felt like a “where is Waldo” picture trying to find a gear. I like it, you may not.

George3rd
George3rd New Reader
7/13/24 10:49 a.m.

Next challenge was the fuel tank. The tank that came in the car had a rubber hose zip tied along the frame rail all the way to the fuel filter located in close proximity to the exhaust manifold, then to the fuel pump. It did seem to work (whenever I remembered to put fuel in it) but with my luck, I thought I might enhance my longevity with a fuel tank enhancement program. I did find an original (ish) tank and it would have fit and been used if the original mounting brackets had survived in the car (they didn’t). I know my luck, so I went the fuel cell route instead of cobbling together brackets for the original style tank (insert image of gas tank falling out, catching on fire and sending Kermit (AKA Fergus) ablaze in your mind here).  The tank is secured with aluminum brackets in an over achiever style, secured to the floor and side of the wagon. Fumes are vented with the Blue line so no light headed fume induced driving any longer! Getting rid of the rubber hose in favor of braided line with rubber grommets (again, I know my luck) through the metal in the body increases my confidence level, and it is secured with half moon metal brackets normally used for conduit (hey, it works and looks quasi-professional).

George3rd
George3rd New Reader
7/13/24 11:52 a.m.

Kermit (AKA Fergus) was taken to get some exhaust word done, and once it was done, we (Cotton and I) were looking at some of the engine stuff (cue eye roll at the technical term “stuff” here) discovering that the radiator was just full of chocolaty badness, oily gooey sludge that spawned yet another “scope creep” moment. Engine flush (as good as possible), aluminum radiator, electric fan with housing to maximize fan efficiency (eliminating the ugly, noisy, prone to failure (my luck again [anyone see a pattern?] original), new water pump, new thermostat and housing, new carburetor (fuel leak and overt laziness), Pertronix ignition conversion (I can do points, but again, lazy for the win!), clean up some wiring, painting brackets, correcting pulley aberrations later, this is the result. I can't over state the grungy, nasty condition of the water (if you can call it that) in the radiator which no longer cycled the "water," so apparently being consistent with my nature, one small-ish change requires at least a dozen other totally unrelated changes because the time to fix something is when you see it and it just bugs the crap out of you and you're under the hood anyway fixing something so you might as well fix that while you're at it, then, OMG, I never noticed that, and I can't just leave it like that moment... I'm assuming that everyone is like this, right? 

George3rd
George3rd New Reader
7/13/24 12:20 p.m.

The last picture in this installment is the “new shoes, new shoes” snapshot. While I do love the idea of the original wheels, the tires available that can go on the wheels are narrow and don’t do much for the handling of the car. American Racing 18” wheels kind of match the original 500s on my ’71 Mustang, so maintaining continuity between Kermit (AKA Fergus) and Phantom sealed the deal on wheels and tires.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
7/13/24 2:38 p.m.

In reply to George3rd :

Fergus / Kermit gonna dance in those new shoes...   Nicely done, thanks for posting all the updates.  The shifter should have been there to begin with as well! devil 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/13/24 3:12 p.m.

11 years since the start of this thread and still counting. Fergus is one lucky Wagon.  Thanks for the update.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/24 7:06 p.m.
George3rd said:

one small-ish change requires at least a dozen other totally unrelated changes because the time to fix something is when you see it and it just bugs the crap out of you and you're under the hood anyway fixing something so you might as well fix that while you're at it, then, OMG, I never noticed that, and I can't just leave it like that moment... I'm assuming that everyone is like this, right?

Yes. Exactly.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
7/16/24 11:26 p.m.

Rust is the worse man. Looks like your doing some solid work to shore this thing up

1 ... 17 18 19

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yyorBFZzRQyZ7I62pfUNSC5DPgQGSHcy61i8L2N8ReClFnbICwNN7Okwq9WkrvCN