Agent98
Agent98 New Reader
9/20/17 1:18 p.m.

Modern brake upgrade kit for 1969 full size Olds..uses newer parts

Olds brake upgrade using newer parts

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
9/20/17 2:30 p.m.

TeeHeHe, He said he needed a bigger wand.

I'm glad you are going TBI, I recently sold a super nice Quadrajet that came off of a 67 Buick GS Rivvy 430.  Would have bolted right on and run great.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/17 4:41 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock said:
QuasiMofo said:

That's mostly still there.

And it's not being replaced lolololololol

QuasiMofo
9/20/17 4:41 p.m.
Agent98 said:

Oh my... 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/20/17 5:02 p.m.

My dad had a 2 door 68 98.  You'll never find a bumper - we tried back in 1978.   Fender skirts are non-existent too. I threw away the rusted hulks two years ago.   

I spent my youth - age 6 to age 22 looking at that dash.  My dad loved the car as he ran it almost 17 years to be replaced by a 1984 Cutlass Supreme.   

The shoulder belt insert will rattle on the chrome trim above the window so my dad would yell at us to not touch the seatbelts.  You have five belts and buckles to deal with in the front seat alone.   

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/20/17 5:07 p.m.

My dads had the am/fm wonderbar. A big bar to press and it would scan to the next station.  Sometimes.  

The ashtray is fun to play with.  The rear window defogger is comical - a giant blower - a design before window wires.  

You should be able to remove the key while driving - something my buddies would do - take my keys.  

QuasiMofo
9/20/17 5:14 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I like the rusted out bumpers, they are keepers. 

I've got both skirts but one bracket needs fixed. 

We are considering a E36M3ty faux patina paint job over the crappy white paint. Not sold on the idea yet. I'm stressing over cutting the dash for a single DIN stereo... angry

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/20/17 5:44 p.m.

There's already a single din spot in the glove compartment. cheeky

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/20/17 5:59 p.m.
Agent98 said:

Scarebird builds good stuff, for a lot of older cars.  He's a regular on the Pontiac boards, I've talked to him often there.

As the radio, it may be a good reason to build a small console to sit on the transmission hump.  You'll need a spot for some cupholders anyway.  :)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/20/17 6:22 p.m.

I don't think you put your drink down in a car like this. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/20/17 6:30 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo :

Weird. Per the '69 Olds brochure it looks like disc brakes were an option.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Oldsmobile/1969%20Oldsmobile/1969_Oldsmobile_Brochure/1969%20Oldsmobile-48.html

You may be able to swap it over to mid 90s B-body disc brakes, but I never looked into it. I bought a control arm out of Kentucky years ago using car-part.com, maybe you can piece the factory bits together.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/20/17 7:12 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

I don't think you put your drink down in a car like this. 

I'm pretty sure you're required to hold it and a lit cigar from the same hand while the attached elbow is perched out the driver's window

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/20/17 7:15 p.m.

Big car Pontiac disk brakes prior to 1971 are hard to find parts for today, I would imagine Olds is the same way.  I guess there just isn't enough demand anymore for them so the parts suppliers don't support them.

OldDave
OldDave New Reader
9/21/17 12:49 a.m.

I remember reading somewhere, of using ball joints and spindles from 71-72 c-10's with factory disc's on the 70 and older big BOP's to arrive at discs for less money. or i was really drunk and imagined it all.

QuasiMofo
9/21/17 6:06 a.m.

The 1969/70 front brake parts are no longer serviced. Scarebirds bracket/bearing solution is best, but I'm still sourcing calipers, rotors, psfs and master cylinder if I use it. I literally have all of that new on the C1500 if that could be used... It's worth a look at least.

Agent98
Agent98 New Reader
9/21/17 6:18 a.m.

Is a C1500 a 5"x 5" bolt pattern? for the hub /wheel compatiblity

Willis
Willis New Reader
9/21/17 6:26 a.m.

Chuck D would be proud.  You need a suit and a cane.   Keep it pimpin

QuasiMofo
9/21/17 9:17 a.m.
Agent98 said:

Is a C1500 a 5"x 5" bolt pattern? for the hub /wheel compatiblity

Yes it is. 

I am out getting tires for the Focus right now but it's my intention to measure out the spindle height and arm spacing of the Olds and compare it to the C1500 when I get back.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/21/17 9:46 a.m.

So I dated a girl in high school with the 4-dr version of this. In green. 455 and all. Thing was stupid... and the springs were shot. It looked lowered as hell and could fling hubcaps far into the night and the slightest bump.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
9/22/17 6:07 a.m.

You're going to want to keep that thing from going much over 6k rpm to prevent bending the rods.  Mine never had that problem but I know others have.

Speaking of old motors my cousin had a 350R in a 442 it apparently was a short stroke 350 vs the standard stroke 350.  Is this real or did I make it up, or was it the 403.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/22/17 9:25 a.m.
QuasiMofo said: 

I'm stressing over cutting the dash for a single DIN stereo... angry

I will nut-punch the berkeley out of you if you cut the dash.  Get a repro under-dash tissue dispenser and mount the single-DIN radio in that.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/22/17 10:47 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
QuasiMofo said: 

I will nut-punch the berkeley out of you if you cut the dash.  Get a repro under-dash tissue dispenser and mount the single-DIN radio in that.

THIS

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/22/17 10:57 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:
AngryCorvair said:
QuasiMofo said: 

THIS

You're going to have a mob after you. I even have a pitch fork to take with me. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PRsER2Cbs0iZzEuR2FI90exxDtAPOrxSjsDPURKfAMIbw8yOWF2sWmyHfxASYekM