1 ... 50 51 52 53
Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
6/18/24 9:46 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

The '74-75 Travelalls and Trucks had a set back engine, the manifolds on those are a rear dump on the right side. 

Or... Headers!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/18/24 9:48 a.m.

I have seen some pretty impossible routes established by slicing and dicing and welding these "Donuts" sold by Summit.

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/18/24 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Possibly, rear dump may actually end up worse on the starter side.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

If I had a lift I would be feeling a lot more inclined to do this....

I do have this pile of bends, and a round/straight through style muffler (maybe 2?) 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/24 10:54 a.m.

The way my smooth brain would over complicate this is get a set of laser cut exhaust manifold flanges and then get a cheap set of Chinesium headers from a SBF, LSx or whatever has a similar port spacing and do a bunch of cutting and welding.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/24 11:50 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

The way my smooth brain would over complicate this is get a set of laser cut exhaust manifold flanges and then get a cheap set of Chinesium headers from a SBF, LSx or whatever has a similar port spacing and do a bunch of cutting and welding.

Well, your brain can't be entirely smooth, because that's a pretty good idea.

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/18/24 3:48 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

BBC Has almost exact port spacing.....

RacetruckRon
6/18/24 4:04 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

For example this is about the quality of header I bought to chop up for the longtubes I made for my truck. Chinesium goodness

RacetruckRon
6/18/24 4:07 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
RacetruckRon said:

Well, your brain can't be entirely smooth, because that's a pretty good idea.

It's dumb because it's a lot of work but also smart because a lot of the work is already done for you.

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/18/24 4:25 p.m.

Yes I see.... I can get IH headers, but they are hard to find as no longer made.... I can probably get crude flanges made if I pull my manifold off and trace it out for send cut send.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
6/18/24 4:35 p.m.
java230 said:

Yes I see.... I can get IH headers, but they are hard to find as no longer made.... I can probably get crude flanges made if I pull my manifold off and trace it out for send cut send.

Manifold?  Why not exhaust gaskets?

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/18/24 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

If I am replacing the manifolds why not? Gaskets are ~$8o a set at the moment.... I guess I would need new ones anyway!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
6/18/24 4:50 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Figured youd need em anyways was my driving thought.  And keeping it road worthyish

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/18/24 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Yeah.... It clicked as I was typing blush

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/18/24 10:46 p.m.

Easy things tonight. New water temp sensor. (aftermarket gauges) . I have oil pressure and fuel level. 

Need to finish wiring. But senders are installed. 

Oil to be refilled still.... 

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/18/24 10:55 p.m.

Those don't look all that bad. With some creative cutting I think you could make them work. 

Then again I've had to get very creative with some of my pipe runs at work. HVAC and Sprinkler fitters are some of the worst for hogging what little space is given sometimes.

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/18/24 11:07 p.m.

In reply to brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) :

The non starter side sure. Starter side is bad..... 

I have to get under there with some bends. 

I need a lift!

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/19/24 8:30 a.m.

I found a passenger/starter side rear dump manifold. I think that may help a fair bit? Thoughts? 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/19/24 8:41 a.m.

It ought to suck less that's for sure

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/19/24 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Should I do both sides or does it really matter? 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
6/19/24 10:48 a.m.

In reply to java230 :

If it matters, its probably only a small amount.  You aren't building a hugely optimized exhaust system.  The one thing I can think of is that if both are angled it might be easier to get em to meet up and dump at the same spot.  Again though, thats probably a miniscule issue to overcome.

As an outsider looking in, you might be slipping into the goal of perfection. 

Send it.  (Not that you have anything that can be sent right now, but you know what I mean)

Dusterbd13-michael
6/19/24 11:28 a.m.

Underneath myself I can't really answer what will be easier on the driver side. Or at least the non-starter side. So that's a judgment call only you can make. But I can say it's easier to fit a 45° angle and exhaust pipe than it is a 90 degree angle. At least for me. I always seem to cut 90° angles crooked and make a wider spot where I have to fill in with weld

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/19/24 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

My only concern is I only have O2 sensor on one bank, if one flows way better it could be a problem?

Dusterbd13-michael
6/19/24 11:33 a.m.
java230 said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

My only concern is I only have O2 sensor on one bank, if one flows way better it could be a problem?

Not with cast iron manifolds. Don't overthink this E36 M3 homie

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
6/19/24 11:42 a.m.
java230 said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Fair thought, but I agree with Michael. With cast iron manifolds its a non issue

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/19/24 11:54 a.m.

Thanks guys.

$425 for both or $250 for one..... 

1 ... 50 51 52 53

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uDVYKjz2jcGzjCBpNqvqarZwqT87ap2F4YX2OpLmBHnHU7JYIFOCqyYvRgljaWDu