1 ... 9 10 11
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/23 4:11 p.m.

so cool

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
9/30/24 10:33 a.m.

So, a bit of an update. The Vega is all finished up, just happened two weeks ago or so. MAYBE a few adjustments, tightening things that need tightening, fussing with the lower radiator hose and such, but all done for now. Even took it out to a few cruise nights, Parked it in and among the mid-year Corvettes just for fun.

Vette scoop went on just fine, bonded in place and looking right. Filled in all of the gaps in the end for a smooth installation. Sort of makes it look like a full fiberglass after-market hood in primer. Still working on ther aluminum insert . . .

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
9/30/24 10:45 a.m.

Refined the bodywork, really took WAY more that we originally thought. We thought that it was done at the end of each work day and found more to do on the next one. What initially looked like a near perfect body was anything but as far as dents and all went. We decided to make a few corrections on the stock assembly/fit/finish as well, The tail lights rear side marker lights area needed the most work.

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
9/30/24 10:51 a.m.

Final fitment on the front Camaro bumpers and rear '68 Vette bumpers, along with the '68 Vette number plate surround was next. All went really well. A bit of radiusing on the inside curves to match the body lines, new mounts and all, but pretty easy. Rear lower valance work and inserts still to go.

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
9/30/24 12:44 p.m.

With the final prime and sand, it was time for the color to go on. We were originally thinking of the early Vette dark green, but it turned out to be kind of "dead" in comparison with modern cars, so we opted for a dark green metallic lacquer paint similar to what came on the Jaguar.

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
9/30/24 12:46 p.m.

We couldn't resist painting the big block Vette scoop as it would have appeared on the Vette, took several tries, but finally nailed it.

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
9/30/24 12:54 p.m.

Bruce, the car's owner, grew up in Weymouth Ma, frequenting the Chevy dealership in downtown as a kid, Clark and Taber by name. Pretty much where his love and desire for a 327 powered Vega Kammback was born. We SOMEHOW managed to actually locate a Clark and Taber dealer's badge for sale on-line and then somehow managed to lose the link to it. A full year afterwards, we found it again, and secured the badge pretty much right in my backyard. Putting it in the proper place on the rear door was the final touch. Completing a nearly sixty year old dream . . . 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/30/24 1:21 p.m.

In reply to MuSTANK :

WOW !

That turned out Amazing.  Love everything about it.  You two sure put in the effort on this one, and it payed off huge.  I would love some pictures of it out of the garage too (perhaps at the car show?)  Thanks for sharing the journey.

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
9/30/24 1:28 p.m.

Bruce has all of those photos and more on his phone. I'll ask that he forward them on to me and add them to the thread as soon as they get here.

84FSP
84FSP PowerDork
9/30/24 1:36 p.m.

That is amazing!  So many cool custom touches.  Looks like it requires bell bottoms to operate, in a good way.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/24 1:53 p.m.

I'll second the request for more completed photos. It looks great.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/30/24 2:14 p.m.

This thing is awesome. I grew up right next to Weymouth (in Hingham, MA) and there was a guy in town that had an old V8-swapped Vega wagon. I used to see it ripping about town and it was sort of legendary among my group of friends. I have to wonder if it's the same one! 

EDIT: I read the beginning of the thread, and this one is from NY. And last I heard, the V8 Vega Kammback that we remembered as kids is still owned by the same guy. But still, small world! 

1 ... 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GYDC7S0G2POEkJ7HlnXErBpZz3fhxlrflPaSHJYzv3iP2BQRShOCYYD4E6wVHSOl