1 ... 11 12 13
JoeTR6
JoeTR6 SuperDork
7/12/24 1:32 p.m.

The paint damage is frustrating, but it's going to happen at some point.  During the very first drive in my first restoration, I had driven straight about two miles and come to an intersection with a two-lane road at a light.  There were two cars crossing through it in front of me.  The trailing one decided that the guy in front of him wasn't going fast enough, so passed on the shoulder through the middle of the intersection by flooring it.  He of course kicked up a ton of gravel, chipping the paint in two places. All I could do was shrug.

ViperT4
ViperT4 Reader
9/25/24 9:24 p.m.

Wanted to come by and update my page here. I've enjoyed a good amount of time driving my M. For the most part it's been great! Been getting more familiar with the car and getting things more dialed in. Had to adjust the suspension for ride height a few times to strike a balance between comfort and striking the exhaust on the ground too often. I got the carbs mostly dialed in; could use a bit of fine tuning in certain places.

One of the bigger issues I was battling was a misfire the came and went entirely and when it was present was barely noticeable at times and almost undriveable at others. I always felt it was an ignition issue, and it would mostly be at WOT high RPM (+4000). Then it would settle into slight part throttle misfires that made it difficult accelerating from a light or maintaining speed. I never figured out an exact culprit but I am currently running a Pertonix distributor replacement and Pertronix ignition coil. I specifically had to make sure that the + side of the ignition module saw a full 12V while the coil (3 ohm) was ballasted. With that setup it's been running flawlessly for a few hundred miles.

The other issue is oil loss or usage. Even after getting a solid 1,200 break-in miles on it I'm losing about a quart of oil every 150-200 miles. The puzzling things are that my plugs are white with no oil on them at all so I don't believe I'm burning it off.With that in mind I'm trying to address any oil leaks I am seeing, even though it doesn't appear (to me) that any of them appear to be that serious from looking at the residue. There's a lot of oil on the underside of the car, don't get me wrong, but it didn't seem like it would drain the sump in 1,000 miles. 

Things I've done so far:

-replaced timing cover gasket,

-replaced crankshaft seal within the timing cover with a double lip seal and specifically installed the crank snout collar after the timing cover per the TR6 brown book.

-used "The Right Stuff" for all gasket dressing this time rather than orange RTV.

-tightened the oil filter spin on adapter, as I noticed a trickle coming from between the housing and the block.

-replaced the oil pan gasket, again using The Right Stuff.

All of these things stopped the leaks from their respective areas, but I am losing a bunch of oil very quickly. This week I pulled the transmission and was going to replace the rear main seal expecting this to be a major contributor to my oil loss, but actually the bellhousing was bone dry. I replaced the gasket for the rear main housing plate and resealed the bolt threads because I used oranges stuff the first time there as well, but left the seal alone. Still in the process of putting things back together but not sure what I'll try to fix next. I made an effort to re-reseal the transmission which I'll detail in the next post.

ViperT4
ViperT4 Reader
9/25/24 10:41 p.m.

Per my exceedingly long post above I have the transmission out so I could get to the rear main seal. The tranny itself was leaking at least to some degree so I am attempting to do a better job sealing it so I can better tell what oil traces I'm seeing  on the underside of the car are engine oil vs MTF.

I had two main objectives here:

-replacing the shifter rod o-rings which I did not do on my first time through

-replacing the gaskets I had put in originally because I had used just general RTV orange gasket maker which has generally proved not up to the task for sealing oil.

Regarding the shift rod o-rings, I elected not to replace anything in this particular assembly when I cleaned up the transmission and replaced all the other seals the first time simply because it seemed pretty complicated. That, and I figured "Hey, it's at the very top of the transmission, how badly could it leak?" However from the "first" drive there's been an oily coating on these shafts and below, so I had to address them this time through.

I'm not going to cover the whole procedure here. The "Buckeye manual" does a pretty good job here, as does this video. Jump to 39:40- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30F4P0Vtfow  

What I found on some TR6 forums is that instead of the standard o-rings, others were using x-rings in their place. Specifically McMaster-Carr 90025K226: https://www.mcmaster.com/90025K226/. If anyone else wants to go this route I had to order a pack of 100, so just let me know and I can drop some in an envelope for you.

I found a few other things to address along the way. The o-rings are held in place by a plate that sandwiches them between it and the transmission cover. My plate was a bit dinged up and warped, probably not keeping things sealing tight.

Since these are NLA some quick time in the bench vice seemed to get things straightened up pretty well.

The rods themselves had at a minimum some discoloration on them, so I touched them up with some 1500 grit paper to knock down any high spots that have come up.

Down to the nitty gritty. New X-rings in place.

Reassembly is not overly complicated, at least in theory. The shift rods have indentation in them which catch a ball to give a positive location for N/1st/2nd/3rd/4th and R. A spring keeps tension on the balls. One has to compress the spring and send the ball down into the hole which houses it in order to slide the particular shaft past the ball. For the life of me I could not get the ball down far enough, so we went the route described in the Buckeye manual. 

The plugs drilled out, and tapped for hardware.

Set screws acquired but even the shortest examples the hardware store had were too long. If I wanted to take more time I likely could've ordered the proper pieces from McMaster as well, but I have a bench grinder so... The proper screw height ended up being about 1/4",

Two screws in the homes.

Shifter action felt proper, so I think we're all good to assemble the rest of the gearbox. I decided to forego the thin paper gaskets one can find for the transmission body sections, which I have to believe are about useless anyway. Instead I used Chrysler transmission/differential silicone sealer. This is applied with no gasket and then assembled to cure.

One other thing I came across on the TR6 forums in folks drilling out the vent holes in the trans case to lessen the likelihood of them getting clogged. I decided I could do better than that. I drilled out a 1/4 hole in the trans extension (prior to assembling extension & trans), fit some air line through it and shmutzed it up with some sealer, then secured the line to a pair of bolts for the extension and voilà, a breather tube.

ViperT4
ViperT4 Reader
9/25/24 10:57 p.m.

On a more fun note, I pulled the trigger on a set of these yesterday. I went with 15x7 with 0 offset. Website says I should have them in about 3 weeks (built to order), so I'm not sure I'll bother ordering new rubber for them before I put the car in winter hibernation mode. But I'll have something to look forward to while it's sleeping.

ViperT4
ViperT4 Reader
9/27/24 8:06 p.m.

Apparently in my first post above I said I installed a Pertronix alternator. That was incorrect, should have been distributor. 

I got about 100 miles on the car today after putting the transmission in yesterday and came across a cool derelict garage. Couldn't help myself from snapping some pics! 

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
9/27/24 9:11 p.m.

Awesome wheels!

oppositelocksmith
oppositelocksmith Reader
9/27/24 11:45 p.m.

You'll love VTO's, but I have to admit that I think the stock TVR wheels are pretty awesome as is.

On your oil loss, take a pic of your ventilation plumbing from above the engine on the driver's side. I bet I know what your issue is and a possible fix. 

Edit, I did the same sealing job on my transmission. Documented it here.

http://coventrysfinest.blogspot.com/2017/07/resolving-leaks-in-tr6-od-transmission.html

ViperT4
ViperT4 Reader
9/28/24 1:06 a.m.
oppositelocksmith said:

You'll love VTO's, but I have to admit that I think the stock TVR wheels are pretty awesome as is.

On your oil loss, take a pic of your ventilation plumbing from above the engine on the driver's side. I bet I know what your issue is and a possible fix. 

Edit, I did the same sealing job on my transmission. Documented it here.

http://coventrysfinest.blogspot.com/2017/07/resolving-leaks-in-tr6-od-transmission.html

I agree, I do like the T-slots as well. But the tire selection for 14" wheels isn't getting better, and some of the degreaser the body shop used when prepping for paint damaged finish on them and I really don't feel like going through that process a second time. All of those black tees where hand painted by yours truly! Ultimately I think there's no wrong answer here.

For crankcase ventilation I just have the valve cover vent connected to the Stromberg "evacuation ports." Can grab a picture tomorrow. The oil filter cap on the aftermarket valve cover is also vented. 

1 ... 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ibg5siv0j2ZRC6TnVi3mlfjQh60WNZMu6yMV5FEo2tgCt5OG5A5nkALZZN6O9L3v