1 ... 6 7 8 9 10
egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
8/7/19 8:28 a.m.

I had one that had all the right ingredients to run but...

Found a dirt dauber nest in the exhaust pipe! No flow, no go! 

Just a thought.

Bruce

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/19 8:56 a.m.

In reply to egnorant :

Good to know. And testing for it should be as easy as putting one thumb over the tailpipe and the other on the starter button. 

Not much else to do until the new parts arrive. 

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/19 5:01 p.m.

I await the 80s resurrection!

Woody
8/12/19 5:45 p.m.

Still waiting on parts. Ad said FedEx from New Jersey. I could have walked there and back by now. 

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
8/12/19 7:17 p.m.

If it's any consolation, my cx500 "project" started yesterday. wink

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/12/19 7:54 p.m.

I know a fellow that runs an indy motorcycle shop.  Sells and services all sorts of liter bikes, big enduros, dirt bikes, and scooters.  What does he ride?  Old scooters like this one.  He claims it’s the most fun you can have on 2 wheels.  He even loaded one down and did a 600 mile round trip to the beach.

Woody
8/13/19 8:36 p.m.

Huzzah!! Parts have arrived!

Woody
8/14/19 9:43 a.m.

I guess it’s true...

Orange does appear to be the New Black. 

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
8/14/19 9:49 a.m.

You're killin' me Smalls...

Does it run???

Woody
8/14/19 10:22 a.m.
Samebutdifferent said:

You're killin' me Smalls...

Does it run???

And now, after two weeks of waiting...................

....we shall wait some more, as the battery appears to have died.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/19 10:39 a.m.

Mods can we ban Woody until he has proof this thing runs? What a tease!

Woody
8/14/19 10:49 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Mods can we ban Woody until he has proof this thing runs? What a tease!

Hey...I'm waiting too.

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
8/14/19 10:53 a.m.

Now he has to be concerned about what is draining the battery or if the battery is actually good...

Woody
8/14/19 12:38 p.m.

It’s very likely that I kicked that battery’s ass in previous attempts to start it. In fact, I’m surprised that it held up as long as it did. I guess that I should have left the battery tender hooked up. 

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
8/14/19 3:33 p.m.

I started my cx with lithium ion booster pack.

Woody
8/19/19 12:46 p.m.

Finally getting back to this scooter after multiple distractions.

Yuasa specifies that this battery should be charged at a really slow rate, basically with a Battery Tender, which is what I used. It took forever to come up to 100%, and then a few days for me to get around to reinstalling it.

And........still nothing.angry

It cranks but won't fire.

Now, when I went to buy a new coil and plug wire, that was all that I was looking for. I chose the kit that I bought, not because it came with a plug, coil and wire, CDI and stator, but because it was located in New Jersey (unfortunately close) and because it included the FedEx logo in the ad. I figured that I would have the parts in a day or two.

Wrong-o.

It took about a week and a half to get here, and was clearly marked USPS on the envelope. Ridiculous.

Anyway, after the coil and wire, next up on the Easy to Swap / Already Have the Part list is the CDI.

I removed the front plastic again and then the old CDI. There's not a lot of slack in the wire to work with. When I tried to plug the new unit in, it was fighting me.

Unfortunately, the electrical connectors molded into the new part are not compatible with the old wiring harness, even though this scooter was listed as compatible in the ad. Grrrrr......

I suppose that I could pluck the wires out of the original plugs and try to make them work with the new part, but as I mentioned, there's not a lot of slack to work with, and all the connections would be uninsulated. I could make six tiny jumper wires and hope that I get everything matched to the appropriate terminals (I've done this before on Jeeps and 911s), but these are tiny wires and I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

Current plan is test the old CDI to see if it's within spec and, if not,  see if I can find a genuine Honda CDI for reasonable money.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
8/19/19 1:04 p.m.

Aaaaccckkk!  Send it back and get one from bikebandit or another source that sells just motorcycle stuff.  Enough messin’ around - let’s GOOOO

Woody
8/19/19 1:10 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Aaaaccckkk!  Send it back and get one from bikebandit or another source that sells just motorcycle stuff.  Enough messin’ around - let’s GOOOO

Unavailable through Bike Bandit.

nedc
nedc Reader
8/20/19 10:20 a.m.

If a new CDI doesn't give you spark then it's likely the stator. Went thru the same steps you are going thru with my old elite 150- coil, then CDI, then scratch my head a while and finally realize the stator isn't putting out enough juice to power the CDI. Found a used one on ebay... not fun to change out.

Woody
8/20/19 2:17 p.m.

In reply to nedc :

I have a new stator that came with the kit, but I don't know if that has incompatible connectors like the new CDI. I really don't want to swap that out if I don't have to. First, I'll test the old CDI to see if it's within spec or not.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/20/19 4:10 p.m.

Stay with it!  

I just bought a non-running '86 Spree and the darn muffler was plugged up.  Took me a while to figure that one out (mud type wasp nest inside it I think).  Long screw driver and she fired up after coughing a bit!

My kids and I rock the 50 cc all over the neighborhood.

Woody
8/22/19 10:18 a.m.

The vendor sent me a refund, but I still need a functional CDI. Time has not been cooperating with me lately, but I'm going to try to see if the old one is any good.

By "Sanwa Electric Tester", I'm going to assume that they mean the free digital multi-meters that you get from Harbor Freight.

Woody
8/22/19 10:48 a.m.

CDI appears to have E36 M3 the bed.

Woody
8/22/19 11:52 a.m.

I'm posting this as much for my own reference as anything else. According to Bike Bandit, this is the part number for the CDI.

Honda MODULE, IGN CONT Part # 30410-KJ9-000

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/4/19 7:45 p.m.

I'm back from vacation and it's still not running! Darn! This thing is the devil! angrylaugh

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E4IvSxgSo0AC1n4ds2Kmawkf0VePa6zJBTYjseW2xXDcfmkrGsJn0Yl4oFH1vF0W