1 2 3 4 5 6
paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
1/26/16 10:28 p.m.

Finally able to shove in the the new 4.10 diff. Always fun to wrestle with a 90 pound pumpkin.

up next dash and all the other fun wiring. also noticed my trans mount is starting to rip. Will have to see what to do about that.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
2/5/16 9:58 a.m.

Few updates.

Constant small things to get ready for upcoming events. More painting, cutting smashing. Dash back in, half of the electrics work, many beers.

Getting styling again (we will see how long it takes to rip this off)

Seats all lined up for final placement. Still need to drill 2 more holes for the inside lap belts. Floor/crotch belts already drilled and ready to go. Just waiting on the belts...

And the Big news, Yesterday I got a logbook!

At Walter's

Hooray!

Plenty more to do and install. Also fighting a warm starting issue. Does not like to start when engine is warm. Probably my terrible header exhaust leak before the lambda sensor....

Roll bar padding arrives today, so will have to throw that on everything. Also need to figure out Tie downs for everything that goes in the trunk. Will use the extra harness eye bolts I have from my older RX harness. 21 days till Rally sprint.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
2/23/16 2:41 p.m.

So, Consistant let downs with this whole elnino thing this year. Not enough snow has led to the rallyx doubleheader being canceled last weekend and my Rallysprint/stage debut being canceled this coming weekend. Oh well more time to make the car even more ready than it was before.

But anyways here is what I have done as of now.

Inside items:

Constantly cleaning up and organising wires and other things inside the cockpit.

Roll bar padding for everything my head could come in contact with. Even if I would probably be paralised if it hit that spot.

Even more was added to the front roof bar.

New Harnesses with 2016 FIA labels ;) thanks Rally.build for rushing them even though I don't get to use them yet.

Saturday we had a Rally friends Garage day at Banchwerks in Providence RI. Friends garage. Doing major prep on our cars still thinking we would be racing in a week.

Installing belts and finally bolting down seats.

Tow strap for the front

Some other people came to hang out

Dual sheer Selector rod for crisper less sloppy shifter.

Got other things like spare tire eyehooks, undercoating cleanup(apparently melts away when welded near :), diable steering lock.

Will now have to look into more serious skid plate for real gravel stages. Had not before as the Venue was an unpaved super smooth racetrack.

Other news we had our NER SCCA meeting and Awards. Picked up my 2nd place for 2015 Mod RWD Plaque. As well as avoiding the 35$ spaghetti and meatballs.

Also Broke down and actually bought the Daily some good wheels and tires. Came in bright white! I actually like it and will probably keep them as is.

Suzuki is the Girlfriends. Trying to convince her or to let me take it out to a race. Flying pumpkin.

Well now that it is warming up and have more gaps to prepare more to come I guess! Rallyx in 2 weeks and hopefully a rally sprint either March12th or April 2nd depending on snow/ mud at Team Oniel.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/1/16 8:50 a.m.

Slowed down lately as all the damn events keep getting canceled! Damn El Nino... no snow for the snow events....

any ways few things last night.

Door cards back in as they are required. Stock ones are free compared to buying some alum or plastic.

Along with a window smasher and door pulls made from extra ratchet strap slack.

Co-driver/snacks bag

So much to still figure out.

If the car sputters when starting it dies and takes forever to get going again. Aux lights need to be moved and possibly add a LED light bar in-between. Roof vents cut out and installed. find ways to secure everything in the trunk.

Wrapped the door bars in athletic tape. but I dont like how it came out. Seems like it will all fall off a week. Dont know what to use.

Bigger skid plate must be made. HPDE ordered to cover other areas.

List goes on. Getting stir Crazy doing all this work and having no races to do. Is this what Autox people feel like over winter?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/1/16 6:48 p.m.

I see you've been watching my thread If you add Husky zipper pouches to the doors, I'm gonna expect some royalty payments, lol.

Why are you wrapping the bar in athletic tape?

If you're looking for protection, two good options:

1. we have the low-density foam wrapped on the door bars. No fun knocking a knee on them when getting in/out....

2. other option is to buy some Lamin-X rolls (about $20 gets you 30 feet of the stuff, IIRC). Put it over the tubing in areas where you want paint protection. This is what I'm going to do soon once I get all the mud off my door bars, lol.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/1/16 10:43 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

yeah the tape did not work out. Though I had seen it in other cars.... I will find something else out. Not really banging elbows and such off it. just paint protection and keeping it clean.

I did copy the bag. and the hammer was on the same site. Got triangles from them at the same time! Door pulls where always on the list once the door cards went back in!. really only wanted to copy the bag. Its perfect since there is ZERO places to hold small things now.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/2/16 8:45 a.m.

Another successful shop night at banchwerks.

Replaced fuel vapor line cover thing. Mostly to clean it of dirt and protect from rust.

Gross

New Covered inside and out with undercoating

Also continuing the job of cutting holes in my car to make it a rally car. Worth it for roof scoops!

Bonk

Now officially a rally car. lol. Anyway fitment was pretty tight due to my roof bar configuration. But I was able to get them in the normal place for them. Blows air directly at me and passenger. Keep cool when working hard with no Power steering.

Not the most important, but good to get done.

Car still hates warm starting. Will have to continue to try and figure that out.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/10/16 10:36 a.m.

Updates in the log wait for events

Firstly it was my Birthday and my Girlfriend made me this lovely Trophy shelf. Complete with LED lights, BMW embelems, and M stripes.

She knew nothing of power tools and made this. Very awesome.

Second Got many things in for to do later.

2 new front shocks Billstine HD so I can use this and half the old ones as spares. Will have to find spare strut tubes. Some Rear shock tower reinforcment plates, coolant temp sensor, o2 socket for my dumb subaru, 3 new lug studs to fix broken ones, 12 volt outlets. and BIG SPONSOR STICKERS. Thanks eeuroparts.com

Plates in the "paint booth"(garage wall)

Some tires i found put on some extra wheels I had for the summer driving to events.

Also super secret paint job has commenced with the warm weather.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
3/11/16 4:29 p.m.

Great project, been following along.

I bought a few bits from eEuroparts today and I was going to mention you/your build but there wasn't anywhere in the checkout process for comments. Could've been me being on a mobile device? Might want to pass that along to your sponsor.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/11/16 4:50 p.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: Great project, been following along. I bought a few bits from eEuroparts today and I was going to mention you/your build but there wasn't anywhere in the checkout process for comments. Could've been me being on a mobile device? Might want to pass that along to your sponsor.

Ya! That's awesome! Thanks for your support. Not sure if it a mobile vs desktop thing where there is no comments section. Would have to check. I'll let them know that it is something people would use.

What did you buy anything good?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/11/16 5:49 p.m.

just posting to get this thread to the next page. With all these photos, this page takes like 3 minutes to load on my high-speed FIOS line lol.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/11/16 6:28 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Yeah realising that. To lazy to downsize the photos before posting. Maybe in the future.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/11/16 9:57 p.m.

if you use photobucket, it resizes them for you automatically for forum posts....

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/13/16 9:00 p.m.

Worked through the weekend to bring you a classic BMW livery

And the lovely trophy shelf made by the GF.

And the reveal

Uploaded to photo bucket for your pleasure. Lot of work but I think it came out great. still some minor details to add to it but over all great and should stand out well.

Skid plate arrives Tuesday. First rally sprint set for April 16th. :DDDDDDD

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/13/16 9:43 p.m.

Photobucket = much faster. Looks good. Now you just need some gold wheels to be just like Snijers!

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/13/16 9:55 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Photobucket = much faster. Looks good. Now you just need some gold wheels to be just like Snijers!

Thanks for the tip. maybe I'll update posts on other forums.

I have gold paint but these wheels paint is too clean to spray can paint over. Nicest wheels I own.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/16/16 8:10 a.m.

So the new skid plate is a little bigger than the old one.

Thick steel. Runners for stability and anti bending strength.

Bolts right onto the old hoop bar. Will remove via Unboltable hoop bar and the two bolts at the rear.

Another successful Tuesday night. Needs to be painted one color. I only have gold left

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/17/16 10:16 p.m.

Two hack jobs today.

First the real hack. The car still has interesting random starting troubles. Smashing the gas broke the plastic at the bottom of the pivot point.

Fixes with little hinges!

Despite being ugly could be stronger than stock. Oh well it works. Will have to reajust later

And! a Roof rack for 4th tire and other nonsense. I dont have my own tow vehical or trailer so most events are driven to. Fine before, now with the full cage cannot fit much in the coupe.

Super hipster points.

30 days till rally sprint.

brian_c_ahearn
brian_c_ahearn New Reader
3/27/16 7:27 p.m.

Welp, I'm caught up on your build and must say that it does not disappoint. My wife and I rallyX'd my e30 last year and had a blast. Hopefully we'll see you out on the stages in a few years. Congrats on the logbook, and good luck at the rallysprint next month!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/27/16 10:03 p.m.
brian_c_ahearn wrote: Welp, I'm caught up on your build and must say that it does not disappoint. My wife and I rallyX'd my e30 last year and had a blast. Hopefully we'll see you out on the stages in a few years. Congrats on the logbook, and good luck at the rallysprint next month!

You guys should plan to come down to the Eastern States Championship in July here in Maryland. Will definitely be worth the hike, and lots of e30s running :)

brian_c_ahearn
brian_c_ahearn New Reader
3/28/16 7:21 a.m.

In reply to irish44j: When in June? The NER site says it's July 9th and 10th. We live in Norfolk, VA but we'll be headed north for a few weeks mid-June

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/28/16 7:33 a.m.

In reply to brian_c_ahearn:

Welcome! Glad you you enjoyed it! Awesome to see yet another e30 out there in the dirt. If you are from VA get talking to Josh (irish) here. He would be your local e30 rallyx contact. Don't bother with his thread unless you have a week. Find us on face book and ask as many questions as you like.

paperpaper
paperpaper New Reader
3/28/16 8:30 a.m.

Stay at home Easter lent to many many little things to be taken care of.

New H4 bulbs, H1's are still in route. As well as rewiring for new location of Aux lights. Glad I let myself enough slack. Still convincing myself to buy the LED bar.

Windshield banner for sun protection and style points.

Repainted the red on the front of the hood as its always been terrible.

Finally decided it was in my own intrests to find the gas leak that occurs when I fill the car with gas. The puddle when I fill it.

The culprit turned out to be the pump itself. right around where the sender fuel pump sits in the tank did not seal at all. Ultra grayed the crap out of the rim. should seal up nice now. Improve my gas mileage and fire risk.

Was also able to test the sender pump make sure its still working back there. Side note I can still yoga my way into the back of the car with the seats in. Also adjusted pedal stopper on gas pedal to not snap cable.

Also sunny nice day car wash party.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/28/16 4:31 p.m.
brian_c_ahearn wrote: In reply to irish44j: When in June? The NER site says it's July 9th and 10th. We live in Norfolk, VA but we'll be headed north for a few weeks mid-June

Sorry, I meant July.

If you're in the HR, you should come up to our next event in April, it's at our new venue south of DC, so only about 2 hours from you.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/28/16 4:33 p.m.

lol, the LED bar, just buy the Chinese ebay ones. That's what everyone uses that I've seen so far, except people who like to pay 4x as much for a "US Name Brand"

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ykFVfpEP8jMc8KEKisoeXiQQwHBSMGf3FpQymNfVdTqRpXLPpvhIIkoCPwUCfFGY