1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/20/13 8:58 a.m.

Worked on the car a bit more yesterday. First, I made the small patch for the hole behind the driver's seat. That took all of 5 minutes, but it's ready to weld in.

The next thing was trying to figure out why it won't start. I again sprayed carb clean in the throttle body and it sputters but won't catch. I then turned my attention to the fuel system. I went down to the fuel filter and pulled the lines. Everything was bone dry, so the pump is not working. I then looked for the fuel pump relay to see if it was unplugged, but according to the wiring diagram, there isn't one. I talked to Pseudosport yesterday, who after a quick Google search, found that it's controlled by the logic module and a combination relay (the ATS relay or something like that). I will have to trace the fuel pump wiring back to see if it's getting power. I want to confirm this before I drop the tank. It's crusty back there.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/13 10:58 a.m.

Don't need to drop the tank to change the pump. You can wiggle it out the side after popping the locking ring.

You can pull the connector on the tank and apply power directly to the pump as a test. Use small clips leads on a jump box.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
5/20/13 11:36 a.m.

ASD relay. As in "Automatic Shut Down" relay.

I think the point of it was to have one relay that could be used to shut down everything in the case of an accident.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/20/13 12:00 p.m.

Good call on the jump box on the pump! I'll try that.

Where is the ASD relay located? I know there are three relays on the D/S shock tower. Is it one of them?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
5/20/13 12:51 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Good call on the jump box on the pump! I'll try that. Where is the ASD relay located? I know there are three relays on the D/S shock tower. Is it one of them?

If I remember correctly, yes, it is one of them. The other ones there are electric fan and something else?

I'm sorry, bro. I haven't had a P-body in years now.

Pat
Pat Reader
5/20/13 4:30 p.m.

The ASD kills spark too. If it sputtered on carb cleaner, the ASD is likely not the issue. I bet the pump is bad. Test the pump. Mif it doesnt work, you can remove without dropping the tank but definitely get a look in the tank. Its likely pretty crusty in there, which will kill a replacement pump fast.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
5/20/13 4:34 p.m.

Have you tried starting fluid to see if it fires up?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/20/13 9:02 p.m.

Well, I think I have more problems than just a fuel pump.

I went under the car tonight to look for the fuel sender part of the tank, and I noticed that the tank is now seeping fluid down the strap.

But wait.. there's more! The tank around the pump/sender is very soft. It's all a ball of rust. And all the lines are garbage.

So now I'm looking at a tank, straps, lines, and a fuel pump/sender.

This is one of those nights where I want to just pack it in with this car. I really was hoping to have it be in the Under $1k class at the Challenge, but now I'm questioning even continuing with the project. Urgh...

Winston
Winston HalfDork
5/20/13 10:22 p.m.

Don't pack it in! This car is totally worth it.

Fuel cell time, IMO. Get a cheap 5, 8, 12 gallon fuel cell (depending on the highway range you want), cut out the rusty spare tire well, and have your buddy weld in a square fuel cell well.

turboswede
5/21/13 12:15 a.m.

Lines, tank and straps are the same from newer P-bodies. Time to hit the yard and scavenge some. Luckily they are all the same, especially the V6 pumps cross match to the Turbo 4s.

Yeah, its disheartening, but once it is done you'll not have to do it again.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/21/13 8:01 a.m.

There aren't many in the yards around here anymore. It's rare to see even the later ones. I'm looking at new parts, and it's a big budget hit. Unless it's a "safety item"...

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
5/21/13 8:07 a.m.

There are a couple here, maybe we can arrange something.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
5/21/13 8:15 a.m.

I bought a brand new gas tank from JC Whitney online for like $100 once. I coated the outside with spray-on bedliner for some rust proofing and bolted it right up.

EDIT: I just checked; they have them for $111.

turboswede
5/21/13 10:51 a.m.

Yeah, I have a new one in storage for mine as well. The cost to ship it to you would probably be more than it would cost to get one from JC Whitney or RockAuto.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/21/13 10:57 a.m.

Ahh, New England!!!

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/21/13 2:29 p.m.

Isn't not having your gas tank leak fuel all over the place considered a safety item?

Winston
Winston HalfDork
5/21/13 2:51 p.m.

There are 8-12 gallon fuel cells on Summitracing.com for under $100. Unless you can replace it with a stock piece without a budget hit because of safety reasons, why not upgrade to a fuel cell for the same money?

Mazda787b
Mazda787b New Reader
5/21/13 11:18 p.m.

http://www.inlinetube.com/

Call them up, they do neon lines, maybe they'll do P-Body stuff?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/22/13 9:34 a.m.
Winston wrote: There are 8-12 gallon fuel cells on Summitracing.com for under $100. Unless you can replace it with a stock piece without a budget hit because of safety reasons, why not upgrade to a fuel cell for the same money?

I want to keep it close to stock mainly because it's going to be more than just a race car. I plan on driving the car all the time and it will be registered and insured. I will drive it to work from time to time, and I have a long commute, so having a 14 gallon tank comes in handy. I'm trying to keep things as cheap as possible not only because I want to compete in the Under $1k class at the Challenge, but because I don't have a lot of money to throw into my car hobby right now.

Running a stock replacement tank is just easier.

I have found a new tank for $71 shipped, but if I can get one cheaper, I'm all ears. I'll have to ask the magazine guys if it's considered a safety item.

Also, pre-bent lines are expensive!!! If I am replacing them, I may upgrade to a larger diameter line anyway, and I'll just get a roll of line and do it myself. I need practice with bending lines anyhow.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/22/13 9:38 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Ahh, New England!!!

You ain't kidding.

I feel like I've done a gas tank in just about every project car I've owned. I should have known better. It doesn't help that the underside of this car looks like it sat in the Atlantic for a decade or so.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
5/22/13 11:27 a.m.

RUST

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
5/22/13 11:35 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

There are two P's in the yard. I can pull one and bring it to SDAC and give it to someone. I can check and see if they are viable replacements if you want.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/22/13 12:33 p.m.

Come on, you knew you were in for it with an 80s Chrysler from New England.

When I lived in Hawaii the salt air ate these things away to dust before the powertrain warranty was up.

Also, this post is meant as encouragement.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/22/13 2:00 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: There are two P's in the yard. I can pull one and bring it to SDAC and give it to someone. I can check and see if they are viable replacements if you want.

I appreciate the offer. I am going to try and go with a new tank. If I'm going to be driving this car as much as I hope to, I really shouldn't cheap out with something this important. Besides, I don't know anyone local going to SDAC anyway.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
5/22/13 2:03 p.m.
Harvey wrote: Come on, you knew you were in for it with an 80s Chrysler from New England. When I lived in Hawaii the salt air ate these things away to dust before the powertrain warranty was up. Also, this post is meant as encouragement.

I had no idea that one of these could rust this bad. This is my first foray into the wonderful world of Mopar cars. I've only dealt with rusty GM cars, Fords, and Nissans before this. None of those (including the '79 Trans Am sitting in my driveway) are half as bad as this car. And the Trans Am is 8 years older!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D3D0dy3DK2Xor56Eh6gUhXmhqtUbPUc6MctyhQJFZxmOp6bscnohlXOQJKh4Fk5n