1 2 3 4 5 6
1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
3/14/19 7:51 p.m.
java230 said:

Sweet! I want to do cheap LS turbos..... 

It’s could be done cheaper than I am doing it, but my set up is still very budget oriented.

Burn outs are still some way out, but I’m hoping eventually this thing will be able to light them up from highway speeds.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/14/19 8:18 p.m.

GMT400 and budget turbo LS? Yes please.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
3/16/19 10:51 a.m.
Furious_E said:

GMT400 and budget turbo LS? Yes please.

I’m just trying to give the people what they want.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
4/15/19 8:10 p.m.

So over the last two weeks I’ve just been picking away at piddly stuff. New brake line to rear diff. Heater core hoses. Power steering pump installed tonight. Removed and welded pin hole leak in drivers side manifold. 

List of things to do is getting smaller!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
4/16/19 6:57 p.m.

Two steps back tonight. Went to bleed the rear brakes only to find the shoes were conspicuously absent.

Clamped the whee cylinder shut and forced fluid back to the master with my high tech bleeder only to find the small line from the center union( which is where I already ran new line to) is leaking now.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
4/16/19 6:59 p.m.

Bleeder set up is legit though right ? 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/19 7:11 p.m.

Dang. This is cool. I’m in for more. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
4/20/19 3:27 p.m.

Installed a new wheel cylinder today on the passenger rear. Installed the lovely miss matched tail gate (actually very solid). And did a general clean up around the truck so it wasn’t such a pain to work on.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
4/21/19 2:12 p.m.

Maybe some gm guru can confirm this theory before I start the truck with a serpentine belt next weekend. 

I think gm used the same fitting for the low pressure side of the steering box as they do for fuel line. If not it sure looks it so I went ahead and installed it. With that complete the accessories should be done.  One step closer to the road. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/12/19 8:26 p.m.

Pictures not included but lots done over the last couple weeks.

-cab mount fixed

-friend made a dip stick brace 

-brakes on all four corners working 

-power steering working and not even whining(I’ll give it time)

-still needs some work on the fuel table but I was able to drive it up the lane and back!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/13/19 4:14 p.m.

Rocking those Canadian spec cab mounts.

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
5/13/19 5:47 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Beauty eh? 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/13/19 8:02 p.m.
GoLucky said:

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Beauty eh? 

Sad part is this is very clean for a truck of this age this far north. 

I know some people will look at that cab mount rust and shudder, but the fact it only needed a plate welded to the top and the uprights were still solid is rare up here.

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
5/14/19 3:06 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Haha! Oh for sure. It looks pretty good, I was going for a Canadian accent in print and without a maple leaf emoji it is tough to get across. 

Sorry for sounding like a hoser eh.  

The mis-match tailgate is definitely +10 sleeper points. 

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
5/14/19 3:13 p.m.

What are your fuel and engine management strategies if you don’t mind sharing? De-capped or aftermarket injectors? Tuned factory pcm? 

Interested for reasons of turbo LS envy. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/14/19 5:02 p.m.
GoLucky said:

What are your fuel and engine management strategies if you don’t mind sharing? De-capped or aftermarket injectors? Tuned factory pcm? 

Interested for reasons of turbo LS envy. 

Injectors are deka 60 pounders (will try decaps next time). Management is provided by a MicroSquirt and fuel pump is a walbro 450.

The truck might be a little rough but most of the components are semi legit.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/18/19 5:41 p.m.

Swapped the water pump today to a good used. Eliminated a small coolant leak. Played with the tune and TunerStudio for an hour or so as well. It’s yard driving pretty well. Need a wastegate soon!

Also the brakes still seem to be spongy so I think I’ll pull the front wheels again and start inspecting things.

Tomorrow I plan on buying some 3” exhaust flanges and a glasspack to complete the exhaust as my wife informed me it’s too loud.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
5/19/19 1:55 p.m.

In reply to GoLucky :

To be fair, I thought 1SlowVW was pointing out that the bushing on top of the cab mount plate looks like a hockey puck. That would be perfectly Canadian.

Great job on the build so far!

P.S. Go Bruins!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/19/19 7:06 p.m.

Nope, rednecks up here used to use hockey pucks as cheap cab lifts for years. So when I found my cab mount to be in terrible shape I went to the hockey bag. Then upon finding I didn’t have any pucks in my bag I went to the store and bought a bunch. 

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/19/19 7:15 p.m.

I used hockey pucks as cab mounts  on my GMT400, as well! Love the build!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/19/19 8:37 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 :

I never claimed to have pioneered this technology, only to have mastered it using a cheap power drill and a sawzall.

In other news my glasspack came in but what I believed to be weld on flanges were not. So tomorrow will be exhaust mock up day not exhaust finalization day. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/20/19 4:14 p.m.

All just hanging in place under the truck. Going to use a walker mega clamp to joint it to the downpipe I think. Also hangers are mocked up and there’s about another foot on after the bend so it will exit just before the passenger rear wheel.

Hoping the glass pack and turn out will take the edge off enough to keep the mrs happy. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/26/19 11:05 a.m.

Why do small rust holes always expand when hit with the wire brush? 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/26/19 11:06 a.m.

Back to semi solid metal, just need to find some floor.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
5/26/19 11:07 a.m.

This should work.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7352mZPFcPcdDMl7Pd4HgeTNsqlMUUqKuTHelZbCvU7uqHFwMynkYSlTodPhBUI3