1 ... 10 11 12
malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/22/23 5:23 p.m.

4g63s are known for filling catch cans.

For a friends Toyota, I built a breather tank...2 -8 lines from the valve cover to the tank.  I made a V baffle (kinda like a Flowmaster) with a 1" vent placed directly behind it that was connected into the air intake(to help create a low pressure area).  The tank expanded in size after that.  Then the tank had a drain that Y'd into the turbo drain.  Maintaince free and also reduced the turbo smoking.

TimM
TimM Reader
12/3/23 3:41 a.m.

malibuguy:  Impressive piece - exactly what it appears we need!  Not having those skills, we are seriously considering a product from AT Performance:

https://atperformance.com.au/product/mitsubishi-evo-4-5-6-oil-catch-can/

We are running their air box setup and pleased with the quality.

This catch can supposedly uses existing bolt holes and is pretty hefty size which is likely our current problem (not enough space for air/fluid separation).  Not inexpensive, but if it solves the issue...and won't curtail our next Nurburgring visit...well worth it!

Thanks for posting!

TimM
TimM Reader
12/21/23 11:50 a.m.

Minor update, satisfying!

The original radiator stays were a bit of an eye sore.  Planned to have them powdercoated, but in the end new ones from Mitsu was a cheaper way to go (hopefully they don't rust like the originals!)

The kit:

Comparison:

Mechanic getting after it:

Thumbs!

Trunk detail:

Few more projects this winter...

TimM
TimM Reader
12/23/23 11:58 a.m.

Decided to look at what will be involved with freshening our rear suspension...swapping the cast iron Evo 5 pieces with later OEM aluminum arms.

Attempted to use a nylon wheel to remove the heavy undercoating that was applied to the UK sourced arms...no luck.  Brass wire wheels made mince meat of it, however changes the finish unfortunately.  We had investigated soda blasting, but minimal options in Stuttgart that are not cost prohibitive.

A bit over restored...we also have Hardrace ball joints to install...unsure what to do about the other bushings:

3 years ago, we were bothered that each arm was going to cost $200 (x 6).  Now most are not available...only the bottom arm is at ~$300+.  Ouch!

TimM
TimM Reader
1/14/24 2:18 a.m.

The cold storage for the winter hasn't been kind to the Evo...

AYC motor leak:

Engine oil leak:

Guess, we've got our work cut out for us...along with new hydraulic tappet adjusters, new oil separator system, and possibly a new clutch and flywheel.

TimM
TimM Reader
2/15/24 1:48 p.m.

Temps are warming so Evo energy is growing!

Few goodies showed up...

From Australia - premium ATP catch can...installs with no mods to the car - love it!:

Also, fresh rear suspension direct from Japan - OEM Evo 6 aluminum will replace the OEM Evo 5 cast iron pieces:

Quick weigh in:

We'll see what the heavy metal ones come in at...

TimM
TimM Reader
2/19/24 2:36 p.m.

Great weather today...did a bit of brake bleeding today filling up on Motul 660:

And swapped front engine mount for a fresh OEM example - hope to cure a bit of vibration:

Looking forward to spring!

TimM
TimM Reader
2/25/24 11:10 a.m.

The Evo was due its 2 year inspection...and it failed:

Due to a cut tire...or really a manufacturing defect.  Actually three of the tires have similar splits - not uncommon for this particular tire, but inspector couldn't pass it (can't blame him).  

Tirerack is shipping out a new set at 25% off - so that was pleasant surprise.  These still have several thousand miles (12,500 so far).

Since the car will down for a bit (no registration!)...decided to pull the rear suspension apart.  Quite easy as remove and replace with OEM...

Old:

Inwork - loves the impact!:

Getting involved!:

New:

And:

And the big question - how much weight was lost?  Old cast iron pieces:

10.5 pounds between the 3 arms per side x 2 that were exchanged between OEM Evo 5 and OEM Evo 6 pieces.  Likely not cost effective if weight is your goal, but you do get all new joints in the swap - piece of mind! 

TimM
TimM Reader
3/6/24 1:48 p.m.

Yesterday was a happy day at the post office - car full of BFG Rival rubber!

Made progress fitting the ATP catch can along with my -10 to 10 mm hose barb:

...some tweaking and repositioning the carbon canister - looks factory!

Close:

We'll see how it works on the next track event...Nurburgring opens 17 Mar!!!

TimM
TimM Reader
3/9/24 1:25 p.m.

Had the tires levered on:

Then put on the alignment rack to adjust the tracking to -2.5/-1.5 camber front/rear:

Drives like a dream!

However, I think the custom UK exhaust has to go...had to put a decibel plug in the tail pipe to pass the noise limits.  I hate to say it, I like it quiet!  Allows more throttle fun without the attention - and local folks give you scowls at the twitch of my big toe, it seems!

May give consideration to HKS Hi Power and/or Silent models...

Manual_Trans
Manual_Trans New Reader
3/9/24 2:24 p.m.

These are such cool little cars. There's something special about a clean, white EVO. The EVO IX was my favorite here in the states, but I imagine I'd have some serious fun with an older one like this. I enjoy your clean approach to this vehicle. Maybe I'm getting old, but the super duper modified ones just don't do it for me anymore.

My oldest is 14 and she's showing signs that she is interested in cars. It makes me happy. I hope she maintains this level of enthusiasm and is willing to work on things like yours. Keep up the good work!

TimM
TimM Reader
3/10/24 4:53 p.m.

We were very fortunate to come across this specimen.  The right year and couldn't ask for a better project start.  Car was in better condition that we expected - still not inexpensive, but thankful so many parts were still available.

Daughter wasn't always jumping to go to the garage, especially when it was 35 degrees out there, but she always ended the 'session' with a smile and unbeknownst to her, much more knowledgeable!  To the point, where she taught a classroom of BSA Scouts (boys and girls) portions of the Automotive Merit Badge - that put a smile on my face!

Possibly not surprising, she isn't scared of mechanic things now and is able to connect cars to other vehicles including airplanes now - starting taking flying lessons since in Germany you can't drive a car until 17 (even that is VERY early), but you can solo a Cessna at 16!  Today's hour trip aloft:

The flat 6 cylinder is certainly simpler without a turbo or liquid cooling and she thinks the 'boxer' name is cool.

No time like the present - I almost feel we started late at 12 years old...Good Luck!

TimM
TimM Reader
3/21/24 4:32 p.m.

Well, my primary track car is sidelined...so the Evo 5 will be making the trek to Spa F1 track Monday. ~5 hours distant and then 3+15 hours of track time. Crossing our fingers it will be uneventful! Two visits to the Ring resulted in concerns with oil separation. But hopefully that has been addressed with the sizeable ATP piece. I checked today for fluid and zero was present, admittedly - only couple hundred miles and no track time.

Unfortunately, rain (and snow!) is forecasted - the challenge of an early spring track day (of significant cost!). Likely the best car for it, no matter.

Will also be putting in my other assistant engine builder for a go. He has driven this car one time! I think the F1 track will be good practice with wide surface and lots of run off.

Wish us luck!

TimM
TimM Reader
3/24/24 4:25 p.m.

Transit day was uneventful - 300 miles skipping from base to base for refueling (food too) and landed at Spa in underground parking! Helpful as we were able get a rinse before calling it a night...overnight temps will be at freezing!

First stop at Ramstein for Panda Express with a bit of Berlin wall in the background:

Yes, we have to drive 2 hours for this delicacy!:

Spangdahlem brought a surprise meeting with an Evo 6! All original and just imported a year ago - nice!:

And finally, clean, fuel of fuel, stiffened Ohlins, and oil topped up!:

I did take advantage of the co-driver driving...and adjusting the cruise mapping - fine tuning the fueling and adding a bit of timing. The Link ECU can be quite user friendly.

Tomorrow's weather is now calling for no moisture! A high of 48 degrees ought to keep all the hot parts happy!

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/26/24 3:27 p.m.

Just a comment on your tire cracking.  Super sticky ~200TW tires do not want to ever be at freezing or below.  When my toys go away for the winter (Very similar weather to Germany in Ohio) the tires/wheels go downstairs and the car goes on jacks till it warms up.  Just a thought, maybe not the issue but can;t have helped.

TimM
TimM Reader
3/26/24 6:23 p.m.

84FSP:  Great reminder on the tire temps.  We haven't been as considerate with ours.  Buying Tire Rack's 'old stock' didn't do us any favors either (they were 6+ years old).  

Track Day:  Success!  144 track miles (@ 6.2 mpg), no lost parts, no blown up 4G63 motor, no oil leaks, not even an overflow on the oil catch can!  Thought it was going to be snow and we ended up with IMO perfect conditions - blue sky, no moisture, and 45 degree temps to keep the hot parts cool!

Our prep consisted of - dumping the trunk:

And affixing the big "L" for looser...I mean beginner.  I say under sell and over deliver!:

Day started wet - but quickly dried off for session #2.  Very slippery it was!

3rd session we let the turbo boost with a bit more gusto.  Car is a hoot!  Yes it leans quite a bit and it is too soft, but it exeeded my skills with even bouts of oversteer which was fun!  Other than a 488 Ferrari, GR Yaris, ZL1 1LE Camaro, and our Evo, it was a sea of P cars.  911, 718, GT3RS, etc.  Admittedly, the organizer was working with less than 50% attendance due to the weather, etc, but prefer to see more of a mix. 

We drained the catch can after first two sessions with hardly anything to show for it.  That ATP unit from Australia was money well spent!

Tires took a beating...showing my fast in/slow out approach (I'm rusty!)  But the rears don't look too much better, which in my experience is pretty good with a front heavy / AWD / typical understeering chassis.  

Very enjoyable track.  The altitude change is thrilling and challenging.  Car pulled to 6600 rpm in top gear on the long uphill straight (~140) mph) and never showed any distress!

For comparison, this track day was $708 for the entry fee with fuel at $8 gallon (~$200 total) for 3+15 hours of track time.

I did also offer the wheel to my senior assistant who did great focusing on his lines and getting the shifts correct (did better than I)...recalling this is the first time ever he has driven a high performance car, right hand drive, on a race track, over 100 mph.  His head was about to explode!  surprise

A simple video:

TimM
TimM Reader
3/30/24 5:29 p.m.

Couple of updates:

Oil separator - went to drain it again after my 'hard' session and another 5 hour drive home...expecting minimal release...well nearly a quart dumped out all over the engine and floor beneath!  Wasn't quite expecting that!  Guess the system works and I will have to figure another way to catch the result!  Heading to car wash...

Additionally, went to drain the oil for refresh and see if any metal flakes are there to greet us...came across a large glob of grease!  Traced to a failed inner front axle boot - split!  What a mess and I guess we will get a chance to install those boots we've had for few years!

Axle came out easily fortunately:

Having never done this before, Youtube made it look easy...fortunately, it seemed to be.  Partially reassembled:

After running 3 cans of parts cleaner and brakeclean thru the bearings since this was the joint that was exposed...Going back together:

Complete:

Note:  I had on hand one OEM outer boot and an aftermarket inner boot.  The OEM is more plasticy, but fit like a glove with robust clamps.  The aftermarket was thicker rubber, but had less robust clamps (easier on the pliers!).  I'd prefer the OEM's...I could tell the boots on the axle were not OEM and may contribute to the 'early' failure.

Motul fluid arrived today so will replace all driveline fluids.  Fun!

TimM
TimM Reader
10/6/24 4:38 p.m.

Been enjoying driving the Evo daily - a 7700 rpm blast in second never fails to put a smile (and even a giggle) on my face.

Did make the trek to the Ring...not much season left and it was not weather perfect - fog!  Delayed for 2 hours which meant the cars piled up.  So only got 3 laps before the track closed for offs, etc.

Best was an 8:40 (9:01 previous) which still isn't much to write about.  A clear track will help...surely it will go into the 7's with me driving.  Misha would likely drop another 45 seconds!

Today's claim to fame is a solid jump...highest I've been and excellent shot!

Ran like a top!  Hit 7000 rpm in 5th at least 4 times each lap!  The 6 hour round trip at 3800 rpm is wearing, but again the car doesn't miss a beat.  16,000 miles on the owner built engine - that we are proud of!

Video to follow...

TimM
TimM Reader
10/7/24 3:58 p.m.

I'm certainly not used to the car.  I still fumble with left hand shifting, the finicky twin disk clutch with no flywheel along with the the soft suspension (hits the fender liners still after raising the car twice).  It handles quite well and the engine just keeps going.  Even the catch can is now a non-issue too.  Just need more laps! 

The water bottle was to provide a reference to the 'g' forces at play ;-) ...(I was monitoring - certainly a foul to have loose items in the car...)

TimM
TimM Reader
10/12/24 9:51 a.m.

Another trip to the Ring before season end...5 laps:

Lap 1:  09:06 Warm Up
Lap 2:  08:29
Lap 3:  08:20
Lap 4:  08:37 Warm Up 
Lap 5:  08:18

40 degrees, bit foggy, but the Evo ran like a top!  No cautions and low traffic - wonderful thing!  My skills are still not up to the car's performance.  I'm still not comfortable with the suspension, but the handling is without surprise otherwise.  Likely, I just need to use the settings Ohlins recommends...;-)

6.9 mpg for the 66 track miles.  22 mpg for the 415 road miles...along with one blast 155 mph. 

Video to follow... 

TimM
TimM Reader
10/17/24 1:39 p.m.

First time mounted on the helmet...obviously it needs to be an inch or two higher...little car works like a champ in the corners and not too bad on the straights!

Gzwg
Gzwg New Reader
10/18/24 3:50 a.m.

That looks like fun!

The speedo ending at 200 (120 mph?) is hilarious! Even in stock form this car should exceed that?

TimM
TimM Reader
10/18/24 11:22 a.m.

Gzwg:  The car is a Japanese Market import so it was actually limited to 180 KPH stock.  We've since swapped in an aftermarket ECU, but still reads in kilometers, of course.  Fun to say we bury the speedo multiple times on that track...laugh

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WzINQZoh5PaawU2MSKgddv2IbdCxI2Gb6PkBGvoNRYVVMdmNiqDHlX3VHLf9ETnB