loureeve
loureeve New Reader
2/17/15 2:42 p.m.

Hi guys. I just got this waft mobile. Its in disrepair right now but i plan on addressing those problems and then id do some light modding as this will mainly be a long distance cruiser. Any thoughts on the car? Please feel free to contribute. Im from the middle east by the way...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/15 2:58 p.m.

Welcome! I'm curious to see what your plans are for it.

I don't know if rust is ever a concern over there, but those vans may still rust in a vacuum, so that might be the first thing to check.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/17/15 5:01 p.m.

loureeve
loureeve New Reader
2/17/15 8:40 p.m.

Yep its got some. ill take more pics when i get the time. Im thinking of a way to patch it up myself.

loureeve
loureeve New Reader
2/17/15 9:46 p.m.

ive been reading up and that is the last model released. but i think i like mine more :D and i just found a potential problem. My Lug size is 5 x 1.08, which is a pain here coz apparently its just used by Ford and Volvo, which are not very popular here so wheels might be a problem. In reply to moparman76_69:

loureeve
loureeve New Reader
2/17/15 9:50 p.m.

Well i have a lot of ideas but i cant make up my mind. most likely it will continue to be a waft-mobile but with some added toys. anyhow, its in the shop and getting a complete assessment of its many faults so i'll find out where to start. Earn money i guess coz i googled "1998 Ford Windstar Problems" and boy there were a lot. but i'm not gonna give up. theres something about this car that just got me hooked. inIn reply to petegossett:

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
2/17/15 10:00 p.m.

www.autoblog.com/2008/12/01/ebay-find-of-the-day-saleen-windstar-seriously/#image-1

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
2/17/15 10:18 p.m.

Excellent.

In reply to JFX001:

loureeve
loureeve New Reader
2/17/15 10:37 p.m.

In reply to JFX001: That's really something! But a bit too serious for me though. :D I'd like to add that this car was given to me and is a low budget project (My Limit is $5,0000) and that's not an immediate budget. this may take years as i can only aside about 300 or so a month. But who knows? I may end up with some extra cash and decide to blow it on the van.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
2/17/15 10:57 p.m.

Take your time and have some fun, the Saleen was just to help you get some ideas.

loureeve
loureeve New Reader
2/17/15 11:46 p.m.

Im digging the Rear Spoiler, but i want to keep the roof rack... anyhow i gotta get it going first hahaha!

-Update- Issues Identified so far: All 4 shock absorbers are leaking, Rear Air Suspension is leaking at the airbags, All 4 brake rotors need resurfacing, AC doesnt cool, Overheating Engine, Clutch Slip, Windshield Crack, Some Rust issues and Cruise Control Doesnt Work. So A lot then hahaha... But the mechanic says parts are quite cheap because apparently this car is almost identical to the Ford Taurus Wagon underneath so thats a relief.

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
2/18/15 2:44 a.m.
loureeve wrote: ive been reading up and that is the last model released. but i think i like mine more :D and i just found a potential problem. My Lug size is 5 x 1.08, which is a pain here coz apparently its just used by Ford and Volvo, which are not very popular here so wheels might be a problem. In reply to moparman76_69:

And Ferrari, so depending on just where in the Middle East you are, this may be less of a problem!

loureeve
loureeve New Reader
2/18/15 5:48 a.m.

Interesting Hahaha, well im in the right part of the Middle East (Abu Dhabi) but i guess not coz a set of Ferrari Dustcaps probably cost more than the car! More to the point ive found a dealer here that sells the right lug size i just have to make up my mind on Rim Diameter Size as well as Tyres. i have my eyes on a set of Lenso RS5s with tyres and is within budget. any thoughts?

Ambitious_But_Rubbish
Ambitious_But_Rubbish New Reader
3/12/15 9:23 p.m.

My wife had one when we were dating. Running gear was solid. Did surprisingly well in the snow. Lots of electrical issues. It had been driven through high water at one point, which I'm sure was the cause of at least some of them. Toward the end it was in the shop almost constantly for one electrical gremlin or another.

Traded it for the Durango we have now when we got married. Had 120K miles, zero rust, almost perfect paint, ran like a top but we were tired of the gremlins. My experience with them leads me to believe that most, if not all the common ailments with the Windstar were sorted out by the 1998 model year (hers never had the head gasket done, nor did it ever run hot). Good luck!

Ambitious_But_Rubbish
Ambitious_But_Rubbish New Reader
3/12/15 9:29 p.m.

One more thing I just thought of: The Saleen wheels on the 'eBay find of the day' are readily available. The Windstar shares its bolt pattern with the Taurus and the Thunderbird. Replicas of those Saleen wheels are sold for Thunderbirds in black, silver and polished finishes at supercoupeperformance.com

Will
Will SuperDork
3/12/15 9:53 p.m.

Which Taurus does it share parts with? If it's the first gen, SN95 brake calipers should bolt right up.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
3/13/15 7:26 a.m.

My dad had one of these. He had some crazy notions about swapping in higher performing parts from the Taurus line....but I'm not sure how much hotter the tauri were in those years...

Pretty sure there was no SHO in that bodystyle, but were there bigger V6s than the van had?

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
3/13/15 7:48 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:

I like that...a lot!

loureeve
loureeve New Reader
3/28/15 1:21 p.m.

got all the major problems sorted. Been hella busy with stuff. I managed to get the lenso rs5 18" wheels and tyres for 800 bucks. Ive also bought a subwoofer and an amp. ill try to post pics when ive put it all together.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t4gcbl73rX2sVNi8pfMS9i4zDDPEWeMJBhOnykolbh8c0NEUrxUuWpTucsyDGMRq