1 2 3 4 5
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/27/20 10:39 a.m.

Dropped the m coupe off for paint today. 

My new valve cover gasket is leaking  oddly from one grommet bolt.

Of course its directly over the exhaust so I have a nice little cloud of smoke under the hood.

I never got to change the CCV out. Not sure if it is some how pressurizing the system and forcing oil out.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/27/20 10:53 a.m.

Can't wait to see to see the post paint pics 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 7:38 a.m.

Scored a set of double adjustable TC Kline coilovers off of Facebook for $540.00 shipped.  They don't have the rear springs or the camber plates but are complete other than that.

Calling TC Kline in a few minutes to order the missing pieces.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
5/29/20 10:51 a.m.

The tc Kline stuff is great.  I've used their coilovers on a few of my past bmws with great success

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 4:16 p.m.

Ordered new lower control arms to install with the coilovers when they show up.  I also ordered new control arm bushings and new swaybar bushings as well.  

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/4/20 12:03 p.m.

You're really making some fast progress on this. Great to see!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/4/20 12:20 p.m.

Went by the paint shop today.  I need to pick up a new mounting bolt for the rear bumper so I swung by to grab the bent one.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/4/20 12:36 p.m.

god that rear end is sexy!

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
6/4/20 5:46 p.m.

I love these cars. I was in the market for one probably 15 years ago, but never found one. I'm glad to see this one get the love it deserves. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/8/20 8:43 p.m.

The coilovers showed up today.  All the shocks seem to function as they should based on my highly scientific test of pushing and pulling on them.

I will order new springs and the camber plates tomorrow.   The seller even refunded me $20 since shipping was less than he thought.  I am super excited, the best $520.00 shipped I have spent.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/9/20 8:33 a.m.

You might want to send those Koni's to tru-Choice for a rebuild before you install them....

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 9:44 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I would prefer not to spend $200 a shock plus parts if I don't need too.

MTechnically (Forum Supporter)
MTechnically (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/9/20 10:13 a.m.

It's understandable to not want to spend money where you don't need to, but I think docwyte was trying to save the headache of installing them just to realize that they aren't okay. Really comes down to your tolerance for doing a job more than once. It does look like those shocks have seen a good amount of use, so I would tend to agree with a rebuild before you go through the work of putting them on the car.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 11:36 a.m.

In reply to MTechnically (Forum Supporter) :

Good points.  I contacted truechoice and they can dyno them for $35.00 each to make sure they are working correctly.  That's a lot more palatable than $200 plus parts each

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/9/20 12:03 p.m.

Does true choice really charge $200/shock to rebuild them?  That's not a whole lot less than just buying new ones.  I know Bilstein will rebuild their stuff for $65-75/shock.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 12:09 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

$198.50 each plus parts.  These are double adjustable so I guess that makes them more expensive to rebuild. 

The rears are approximately $350 apiece new, fronts are $550.00 each from TCKline

dps214
dps214 Reader
6/9/20 1:27 p.m.

Based on my experience with truechoice, those dyno charts are going to be illegible and largely useless, and probably only test one adjustment setting. If you want them tested, I'd at least find someplace better. Unfortunately, the side effect of being better than truechoice is that they'll be busier and have longer turnaround times. My experience with konis have been that pretty much they're either bad out of the box or good forever. Or if they do go bad, it's in a very noticeable way.

Being double adjustable they might already be degassed. But if they aren't they will be after a rebuild which won't be great for noise or ride comfort on the street.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 1:32 p.m.

None of them are visibly leaking anything.  They also feel stiff and consistent when you push on them in either direction. 

I am leaning towards installing them and seeing how they feel and drive.  That's free other than my time.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/10/20 10:30 a.m.

Getting closer, she should be finished up by Monday.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/20 11:01 a.m.

i spy with my little eye a green gremlin

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/10/20 12:08 p.m.

There is a gremlin in the parking lot.  There is also a sweet 70's conversation van inside that he just painted.  I will try to grab a picture of it when I pick the car up.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
6/20/20 12:35 p.m.

Picked up the car from paint.

Very happy with the results!

I had to redo the valve cover gasket but it seems to have fixed the problem.

I won't have a chance to install the TCKline coilovers before next weekends autocross so I am going to race on the old bilstein unknown spring setup and lexani tires.  It should be interesting to say the least!

Also installed my limited edition GRM Dork sticker.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/20/20 12:36 p.m.

Looks awesome!  Did I mention I have dibs when you decide to sell it?  wink

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/20/20 12:50 p.m.

New paint looks spectacular!

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) New Reader
6/20/20 1:51 p.m.

Shiny!