Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/5/24 4:12 p.m.

My latest auction buy 2004 Sab 9-3 convertible with 85,000 miles. 

The front end damage is not too bad, looks like I will need a new hood and a bumper. 

For the salvage inspection to go from a salvage title to the rebuilt title it is easiest if you don't replace any parts before you go. 

Had the inspection today, only took about 15mins so now I have a rebuilt title. 

First issue other than finding some replacement body panels is to figure out why the convertible top won't go down. 

If anyone knows what to check first on the a Saab 9-3 convertible top and trouble shooting why it won't work let me know. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/10/24 6:15 p.m.

Congrats! The Saab forums and Facebook groups are generally pretty helpful. I'd always recommend a search before asking, because the topics have likely been covered in detail before. And post up here, there are a few of us in here with some Saab stories!  Here's mine: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/hazel-the-saab-2004-9-3/214268/page1/

4/10/24 8:10 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks! 

4/10/24 8:10 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks! 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/11/24 8:15 a.m.

When you push the switch to lower the top does it make any noise?  Ours blew out one of the hydraulic cylinders so you could hear the pump going but nothing would happen. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/11/24 8:45 a.m.

Oh, and I'll add that it's a common failure mode.  I see a lot of Saabs listed for sale with "top failed, but can be raised/lowered manually."  So I'm sure there's some good information out there.  Youtube is another good source as well, here are some of the people I follow with good Saab-specific content:

Auto Autopsy

Cyclone Cyd

WeekestofWeeks

SaabDr

TheFlyingMechanicDIY

OnTheWorkbench

And here's the most popular FB group: 

https://www.facebook.com/share/HbymFGYh2EDoE94w/?mibextid=K35XfP

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/24 9:27 a.m.

85K miles is the end of the break in period for a Saab, you can now feel free to open her up a bit. I don't know a lot about Saabs, but I know a little and and happy to help if I can.  (https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2004-saab-9-3/246900/page1/)

Aaron_King
4/11/24 9:30 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

That is very true, ours has @280K miles on it with the original clutch.

4/13/24 5:46 p.m.

Found out both hydraulic cylinders leak. Got the top half way down and then stuck. 

Got the top back into position and the manual lock at the front of the top is total stripped out. 

There was also a spring on the folding mechanism that looked broken 

Tomorrow next step is to take off the trim to see what I can see. 

Aaron_King
4/15/24 9:51 a.m.

Unfortunately those cylinders are not cheap.  I found a video of a guy that "rebuilt" some on his car, tried to do that and it didn't end well.  I ended up grabbing some from a PNP.

wae
wae UltimaDork
4/15/24 10:27 a.m.

I bought a replacement cylinder for mine off of eBay from a seller called "hydroelectric2009".  It's a different one, of course, but it was $130 +tax and so far seems to be working well.

I have the old one here still that I've been meaning to rebuild for when the other side fails, but I'm sure I'll not get around to that until after the failure has already happened....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zjf4bgBVDbPkcQjk1YemJWq7vELCNMY9KU20Su7c1STkLuonZ4SjqdPOTdlqzCra