Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
4/1/20 9:33 p.m.

I did an engine swap in a 2008 Honda Civic for a friend. Her engine had a hair line crack behind the water pump in the block. Its a low mileage engine. I believe it was around 80,000 miles. So below are photos of said engine. I'm new to Honda engines but not new to building things. So my question is. Is this engine worth doing anything with? I know I can fix the block. I just don't know enough about this engine to know if there is any rear drive transmissions that will work with this engine.

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
4/1/20 9:34 p.m.

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
4/1/20 9:34 p.m.

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
4/1/20 9:35 p.m.

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
4/1/20 9:36 p.m.

This is where the crack is. It's hard to see until its at operating temps then it leaks coolant.

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
4/1/20 9:37 p.m.

If it's worth screwing with I do have this I can add..

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
4/1/20 9:37 p.m.

No off the shelf ways to adapt it to rwd that I know of.  That's an R18 motor, they don't have much performance potential. Overshadowed by the K20 motors from the Si.

IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing
IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing New Reader
4/2/20 8:28 a.m.
Run_Away (Forum Supporter) said:

No off the shelf ways to adapt it to rwd that I know of.  That's an R18 motor, they don't have much performance potential. Overshadowed by the K20 motors from the Si.

What he said^^. Im sure with enough money thrown at it and a big enough turbo it can be fun, but its not a performance engine. And its not worth anything to most....scrap it

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
4/2/20 9:29 p.m.

Thanks! That helps make the decision to scrap it a lot easier! I knew I could count on this forum to give me the straight up answer I was looking for!

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
4/2/20 9:31 p.m.
IHaveNoClueWhatImDoing said:

What he said^^. Im sure with enough money thrown at it and a big enough turbo it can be fun, but its not a performance engine. And its not worth anything to most....scrap it

Sounds like a good idea. I dont know much about Honda engines sothanks to both of you for the quick response.. Now I have to see of the Scrap yardis an essential business before I load it up.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/2/20 9:34 p.m.

Not that it helps much, but I am pretty sure there is a recall that covers this problem. You usually get a new block free of charge. 

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
4/5/20 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

Nice! Maybe i'll see if I can get a new block and rebuild it,so to speak since this engine is really low miles.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Di6WWid9xVAXv8FeOY1oqw2d6z6emAfE68h3OTVszxx53Dx1gmzTqVLy8j6bh00p