1 2 3
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/15/14 7:23 a.m.

Of course you got killer toys ready for it. I just need to move somewhere that isn't a parts desert.

Hopsonn
Hopsonn New Reader
8/15/14 12:23 p.m.

I wonder if with enough trickery with the header tube lengths you could get this thing to sound stupid enough to be mistaken for a Subaru engine? Surely not worth it.

thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
8/15/14 1:07 p.m.

What a find!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/15/14 1:28 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: This whole thing just got progressively stranger the farther i read. WRX for $1050? Runs and drives? A berkeleying V8?!?!
And yet I feel like the other shoe still hasn't dropped somehow. Next he's gonna open the trunk and there's gonna be a pair of 80mm ball bearing turbos he somehow got for scrap.

Remember those two T6 framed IHI heavy machinery turbos i bought for $240 brand new?

Yeah. Wish i had kept them.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
8/15/14 1:35 p.m.

I just can't stop thinking about how absurd this car is.

I remember back in the day, shopping with Pseudosport for a 3rd Gen F-Body project locally, and going to look at one particular IROC that had the TPI 305/700r4 removed for the ol' carbed "double pumpah" 350/350 combo, and thinking to myself "why the hell would anyone remove a perfectly good multiport EFI engine and 4-speed OD tranny for this???"

This WRX brings that "WTF" to a whole 'nother level. It has ZERO business being under that World Rally Blue hood, and I don't care! I've been telling all my friends about it. I wish you were bringing it to the Challenge this year.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
8/15/14 1:41 p.m.

All of the winning. Cannot wait to see more.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/14 1:41 p.m.

apparently PO launched the motor 2 years ago, 2 years into a 4 year 12k loan, after driving with bad headgaskets. i give him credit for sticking with his payments, he just paid it off in june.

fuel cell condition - there's a perfectly good plastic cell inside that scary rusty metal, it looks like it was chopped out of a circle track car. for me, perfectly good factory tank with factory pump is desirable. anybody who wants that fuel cell can come get it.

more pics later, HVAC delete finished, since he chopped into both cores with sawzall to clearance tunnel. with my 6' long spud bar the HVAC components all came out rather easily.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
8/16/14 10:19 a.m.

Elite find! It sucks when certain engine swaps or turbos make you delete air conditioning since it gets hot in the summer in most of the continental US.

patgizz
8/16/14 1:02 p.m.

it was completely unnecessary, and a lighter hand wielding the saw would have done wonders. actually very little really needed to come out, but lots did. no big deal, have welder will fix.

it was nice yesterday so worked on truck, today probably a bit more of the same.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
8/17/14 8:51 a.m.

Outstanding... really this makes me want to come to the $2015 Challenge just to see this thing.

patgizz
8/17/14 10:51 p.m.

got a little time this evening.

first deal was bypass all factory fuel pump garbage. relay, controller, etc. pump will be run off switched relay like any other real racecar. so i figured out which of the 6 wires on the tank plug were fuel pump hot and ground, removed factory wires, and soldered on 12 gauge stuff, run through grommet in the fuel pump cover, ready to hook up. tested and have fuel to engine bay.

second deal was start actually mounting the EFI bits in non test mode. first order of that business was create a mounting panel for the ECM, map sensor, and whatever else will be located there.

I know that the challenge budget rules specifically state having to FMV "stolen" parts, so this is the back side of the bracket. FMV on half a pound of aluminum is a quarter.

the stuff fits well, bolted bracket to factory holes on top, drilled a couple at the bottom. also found a nice bolt hole to mount a couple junkyard relays for the fan(s)

then began actually building a proper length harness from the box of spaghetti. i got as far as TPS, IAC, temp sensor, crank trigger sensor, map sensor wired neatly before i had to come in and help get kids ready for bed. soldering/heat shrinking everything.

i also got the front end up in the air and found the scariest bit of the whole car. the left front brake line is hooked up to the front brakes port on the master cylinder, the right front brake line is hooked up to the rear brakes port on the master cylinder, and the rears are not hooked up at all. luckily the rear lines are still uncut and clean, and hooked to the junction block under the hood, so i can hook stuff up properly. it'll cost me a few bucks, but looks rather simple to fix. the ABS stuff is long gone, for some reason, so i think i'll have to get a combination valve for the brakes.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/17/14 11:24 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
mndsm wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: This whole thing just got progressively stranger the farther i read. WRX for $1050? Runs and drives? A berkeleying V8?!?!
And yet I feel like the other shoe still hasn't dropped somehow. Next he's gonna open the trunk and there's gonna be a pair of 80mm ball bearing turbos he somehow got for scrap.
Remember those two T6 framed IHI heavy machinery turbos i bought for $240 brand new? Yeah. Wish i had kept them.

I do too. I wanted one. For.... Reasons.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/18/14 8:28 a.m.

I swear off this board for almost 9 months... and nostalgia brings me back to lurk and I find something like this... Man I miss this place! That's a crazy build, an even nuttier find. I can't wait to see it!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/14 11:21 a.m.

Who needs brakes?

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
8/18/14 12:01 p.m.

I've heard people jokingly talk about putting a small block in a Subaru but I never thought anyone would actually do it...

kanaric
kanaric Dork
8/18/14 12:26 p.m.

So yeah. This is going to be the most epic challenge car.

Get some 1080 P video when it runs up on youtube for 100k+ views.

patgizz
8/18/14 7:33 p.m.

the spaghetti incident shrinks every day. ninja edit with better picture

i've found that hood pins are a great spindle for a spool of wire while you're working with it.

Opti
Opti Reader
8/19/14 12:43 a.m.

Why did you run the 3.8 coils instead of the LS coils. The reason I ask it out of general curiosity, given the popularity of the LS coils and how abundant they are.

Do you expect any problems given the difference in length of the plug wires from one side to the other? I have never seen it cause problems but I have read speculation that it can cause problems.

patgizz
8/19/14 9:23 a.m.

because that is how electromotive made the TEC2 engine management. it's straight out of the factory that way - ecm, ignition module, coils all as one unit. very straight forward. the hardest part so far has been making the trigger wheel and bracket for the pickup sensor, and if money were no object $200 would have bought stuff ready to bolt on the engine. kind of like $80 will buy me a distributor plug/oil pump drive, but $7 bought me a whole box of old chevy distributors that i can cut up on and try to make one myself first.

patgizz
8/19/14 12:15 p.m.

cleaning up top of engine. trying to get yard ready for a party in a couple weeks, but keep popping into the garage and spending a few minutes on the wiring.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/14 9:13 a.m.

It will be running in time for the party, right?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/20/14 9:18 a.m.

Tbi and dis? Never thought of that combo. Badass nonetheless.

patgizz
8/20/14 10:09 p.m.
Gimp wrote: It will be running in time for the party, right?

that's the goal, shouldn't be unrealistic as it did run and drive into the garage a couple weeks ago. and i did test fire the new ignition with starting fluid. tomorrow's goal is finish the engine bay wiring, battery cables, and get my switch panel put in, though it will be dangling in limbo until i put dash back together. i want to test the transmission before i patch the floor up.

have my brake lines to make the rears work, started that too.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/14 11:25 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
Gimp wrote: It will be running in time for the party, right?
that's the goal, shouldn't be unrealistic as it did run and drive into the garage a couple weeks ago. and i did test fire the new ignition with starting fluid. tomorrow's goal is finish the engine bay wiring, battery cables, and get my switch panel put in, though it will be dangling in limbo until i put dash back together. i want to test the transmission before i patch the floor up. have my brake lines to make the rears work, started that too.

Cool. I'll have a trailer with me.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
8/21/14 7:09 p.m.

I'm curious to see what he did for the rear and how the front subframe was modded, I know for the LSx you have to drop the rack a coupe inches and more or less fabricate the whole center section of the crossmember.

However, it would appear hood clearance wasn't a huge concern on this build.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XmLvoVcGlligzyM1FbU78NzkNh9OzHdDWWRV5cZNRV77f2xFPqsuTSbxniJ1if7v