fomoco01
fomoco01 New Reader
2/12/20 5:37 p.m.

Alright, I haven't actually posted on a forum in a long time, but as I just saw that someone has a similar project going on and decided I should probably post what I've been working on.  I have a "Stock Impala SS" that I decided to put a Mustang 3.7L with a little turbo and go run some autocross, hill climbs and time attack.  Now, I know that it probably won't be all that competitive in whatever class I decide to run, but I figured since I got the chassis for free, that it would be a pretty cool car to build, learn some car setup tricks and then apply all of it to whatever car I build next.  Plus, I can only imagine how much fun this car will be when finished.  Anyways, I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.  Enjoy!!

fomoco01
fomoco01 New Reader
2/12/20 5:45 p.m.

i

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Reader
2/12/20 5:45 p.m.

Nice! More about the car and what went into it?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
2/12/20 5:47 p.m.

Looks interesting, any goals on power output?

fomoco01
fomoco01 New Reader
2/12/20 5:48 p.m.

fomoco01
fomoco01 New Reader
2/12/20 5:53 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Nice! More about the car and what went into it?

The car is an older RCR Xfinity series road course car and had been raced in the K&N road course series before a rules change retired it.  I traded some work for it and decided it was too good to pass up.  The body and chassis are in great shape, just need to fix a few spots on the body.  I'm hoping to have it at least running this summer and driving next year sometime.  

fomoco01
fomoco01 New Reader
2/12/20 5:55 p.m.
Donebrokeit said:

Looks interesting, any goals on power output?

I'm hoping for around 450 Max.  Stock engine for now, May build one down the road, but these things are so cheap for the power and dime a dozen.  Wanted to be able to find one locally if I have any issues when I travel to events.  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/13/20 7:08 a.m.

Can't wait to see the final result!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/13/20 7:12 a.m.

What engine management are you running? The 300hp 3.7 is on the short list of interesting swap candidates....

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/13/20 7:14 a.m.

Awesome!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/13/20 8:59 a.m.

Sweet!

Make some hilarious headlight decals for it that make it "look" like an oddball car. Like a Suzuki Esteem.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/13/20 10:05 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

The 300hp 3.7 is on the short list of interesting swap candidates....

Agreed! I am watching both these 3.7 threads to see how the engine management and tuning goes

fomoco01
fomoco01 New Reader
2/13/20 5:14 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

I have an MS3Pro Evo.  At the moment, I'm wiring the car and trying to figure out what I need to do to get an extra cam sensor VR input.  

fomoco01
fomoco01 New Reader
2/13/20 5:14 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Hahahaha that's hilarious!  I've been trying to figure out what I want to do with vinyl when I get to that point!  The stickers on it aren't in the best shape 

fomoco01
fomoco01 New Reader
3/18/20 9:26 p.m.

Super busy last few weeks.  Completely moved to a new shop and new house and finally able to start a little project.  Working on exhaust routing at the moment, I'm about 12 hours in at this point and there's still a LOT to do, but I am having fun with it.  Considering what to do for wastegates.  Going to be putting them in either of the 90 degree bends, but want to keep the dump tube as clean as possible going back into the exhaust.  Was thinking about doing both of them off of the merge pipe 90's and mounting them close to each other right above the turbo. Open to suggestions, send me your ideas!

fomoco01
fomoco01 New Reader
3/18/20 9:40 p.m.

This is what I was thinking for WG's.  They won't stand vertical, they will come out towards the front of the car and the dump tubes will branch into a single larger tube and merge into the down pipe a few inches down stream.  Thoughts?  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TwSSfauw0cEx46qJSLFW9lb0vOeg9RRIvI4vxkxvE3ilJrp6APceDlJ6a8lBIDVS