Shiver
Shiver New Reader
10/20/24 6:20 p.m.

I originally wanted to build my 73 opel gt with a Ford 1.5t 3 cylinder to keep it as light as possible but now I'm thinking about more power.

The body isn't strong so it would twist with too much power.  I've decided to look at a torque bar to take it instead of the body.  Then I thought putting a transaxle like an Alfa Romeo or Porsche would be lighter than a Corvette transaxle but still would be able to take the power that I plan to run through it.  300-350hp and 300ft-lbs torque.  The Corvette uses a transverse leaf spring in the back but is very heavy.  Ive been looking at other options that are a lot lighter, possibly a Volvo?

I'd like to know if anyone has a lot of experience, could chime in to suggest another transaxle or transverse leaf spring suspension?  I have seen some pics online but they don't say what vehicle they are from.  I'd also like to know if there are aftermarket parts that could be swapped to make them lighter. 

I'm not to bother if I can't keep this setup light.  I might as well use a torsion bar VW for ease if weight isn't so important.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oQzqkAUjJePNICJv8hFFZTXmurLF7LvP66DAU0dEEboh6984gK2j32FAzb01htYL