1 ... 5 6 7 8
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/31/13 11:29 a.m.

rather than spending $30 plus shipping I am going to put in a real gauge that well tell me the exact temperature.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
5/31/13 8:10 p.m.

I found a how-to for replacing the guts of the OE voltage stabilizer with solid state components. Sounds pretty cheap.

http://www.minimania.com/article/2130/Voltage_Stabilizer

And the how-to (from a Volvo site, but many used Smiths gauges as well):

http://www.164club.org/spanreg.html

EvanB
5/31/13 8:26 p.m.

I may try that eventually. I wanted a temp gauge that actually told me the temperature anyway so this is a better way to go for the moment. I can deal with an inaccurate fuel gauge for now.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/1/13 5:00 a.m.

True. Can't argue that. When you find a sender that fits in the OE engine threads, let me know.

At least you have a partially working fuel gauge. Neither of my gauges work at all, but Heritage warned me the wiring in the car was a bit kludged up. So like you I may add aux gauges until I can tear the car apart to rewire it.

EvanB
6/1/13 11:28 a.m.

I got a adapter through work. it is actually a bulkhead connector but it is the right size.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 New Reader
6/2/13 4:11 a.m.

A bulkhead connector?

Do you have an image of it?

I installed an afermarket electric fan on my 79 Midget and found no way to get the temp switch threaded into the thermostat housing.

Maybe your idea would work for me...

EvanB wrote: I got a adapter through work. it is actually a bulkhead connector but it is the right size.
EvanB
6/2/13 7:43 a.m.

I'll get some pictures when I install it.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/2/13 7:55 a.m.

I think what he meant is do you have a part number for it? Very interested as well.

EvanB
6/2/13 8:00 a.m.

I will get a part number tomorrow.

It will need modified since it is a bit long but it is the only thing I could find with a 5/8-18 male and 1/8NPT female.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/2/13 8:17 a.m.

Cool. Thanks. I put about 120 miles on my car yesterday... working gauges would have been nice...

EvanB
6/2/13 11:09 a.m.

Bulkhead connector/fitting.

Trim it down with a cut-off wheel, I just cut it to the length of the adapters that came with the gauge.

Installed.

EvanB
6/2/13 5:42 p.m.

Got the gauge installed and started the car. The gauge climbs quite rapidly and was pegged in a couple minutes of idling...time to check the grounds.

I used PTFE tape on the threads. Is that bad?

EvanB
6/3/13 7:15 a.m.

Where to buy:

http://www.suremarineservice.com/FIT-690.aspx

http://store.rocklinhydraulics.com/22inth1fepix.html

EvanB
6/3/13 5:21 p.m.

Ran a new ground wire to the gauge and it appears to be registering correctly now. After dinner I will take it for a spin to see how it does.

EvanB
6/3/13 6:36 p.m.

I took it for a drive to get some cat food and it stayed steady around 150, creeping up to 160 once. It is interesting since my thermostat is 190 but I'm not complaining for now. I'll take it to work tomorrow for the real test.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/3/13 6:57 p.m.

Your thermostat is failing, likely stuck open a hair.

EvanB
6/4/13 8:03 a.m.

Drove it to work today and it seemed to do fine. I need to adjust the valves and re-torque the head.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
6/4/13 9:20 a.m.

Yay! Great progress.

EvanB
6/4/13 7:33 p.m.

It got up to 180 on the way home today, still much better now that I know the actual temp

I really need to replace the bushings/mounts in the front end.

I also need to add a radio.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
6/4/13 7:56 p.m.

Sweet. I've got to see this car in person sometime.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
6/4/13 8:56 p.m.

Yeah... I've been debating a radio as well. If I know I'll be on the hwy for more than 30 min, I bring ear plugs... And my car has a fair amount of insulation. At the show on Sat, a friend said if you can seal the speedometer port on the engine side it apparently helps a lot. I don't ever expect the car to be quiet, but merely tolerable would be nice.

I also discovered on Sat more oomph would be nice as well...

EvanB
6/4/13 9:01 p.m.

My main problem is the drive home from work. Half the time is sitting at stop lights so I would be able to hear a radio fine. When I am moving it isn't such a big deal.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/4/13 9:04 p.m.
EvanB wrote: It got up to 180 on the way home today

Dang, that car's fast.

EvanB
6/4/13 9:08 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
EvanB wrote: It got up to 180 on the way home today
Dang, that car's fast.

At work today my two immediate bosses were checking out the car. One asked how fast it went. I said, well the speedometer goes up to 140...kilometers per hour.

viking
viking New Reader
6/4/13 9:09 p.m.

[/URL]" /> Here is mine--just finished it

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
978RHDN5nnYP3ECc6xh47NkU3doWU9h2LIMixaospzOPwgDW105Pfdgv1VGI3TB2