1 2 3 4
TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/20/17 5:00 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

Nice combo on the cheap. Vortec heads flow air extremely well.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
7/20/17 7:38 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
BlueInGreen44 wrote: Looks like fun! If I remember correctly you and I live pretty close. Give a shout if you ever need a second set of hands.
Same. Looks like a fun little project.
Ok guys, you're on. Planning a junkyard run very early Saturday morning into Detroit(be there by 8) and another on Sunday in Pontiac at 10. Wouldn't object to someone riding shotgun either, or both days. Could use a hand in the garage both afternoons to drop the gas tank and bleed the brakes. There are things to clean, bearings to be packed, and beer to be drunk.

Darn, of course it's the one Saturday morning this month I'll be busy. I could come help on Sunday afternoon for awhile.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/17 3:11 p.m.

Forecast calls for rain tomorrow morning so. I'll double up on junkyard runs Sunday.

java230
java230 SuperDork
7/21/17 3:57 p.m.

Ok I like this.

Gearheadotaku
7/22/17 6:50 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: If that currently has the 2.0L in it with a carb and you don't need the engine I could use the distributor and some of the engine electronics from it.

I have a complete distributor for you! I ended up at that junkyard today after all and got it for you. Let me know where to ship it.

Gearheadotaku
7/22/17 7:05 p.m.

Ended up at the junkyard today afterall. Got a wiring harness, grille, and a peice of dash trim I needed. Will most likely be at the Pontiac yard tomarrow.

Dug into That's suspension this afternoon Upper control ams are out and old bushings are removed. Awaiting new ones from Rock Auto along with other peices. It amazing how cheap stuff is there. I need new lights and mirrors, Rock has new ones cheaper that used stuff at the junkyard! Need to check Amazon and E-bay too.

These were traction bars, how does this happen?

The ground off one is from the left side.

Opened the diff cover and found this

Yeah thats a 'Lincoln Locker" for sure...

Finally, the left axle shaft is different than the right. Performance upgrade? Right looks stock.

Left

As a bonus, the left wheel cylinder is blown apart and 3 of the studs are stripped. I wonder if this thing lost a wheel at some point and slid along on the traction bar?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/23/17 1:17 a.m.

Dude was doing donuts, C-clip failed and the axle shaft peace'd out? Bent and/or sheered splines in the process so he pieced it back together, explaining the mismatched shaft?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
7/23/17 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

I would guess the axle itself failed in the usual manner (twisted off at the splined end). Must have happened before it got welded up. One wouldn't think the traction bar would get ground down that far doing donuts though, I wonder if it lost a wheel on the highway (explains the wheel studs) after the axle replacement and welding. That would be enough momentum to grind it down that far.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
7/23/17 1:57 p.m.

You know how I said I might have a few hours to help out this afternoon? Turns out today is my one year wedding anniversary. So... yeah I should probably do something with my wife

B757Captain
B757Captain New Reader
7/23/17 1:58 p.m.

I'm betting axle failure after the home-made spool escapade. Then a trip to the j/y with a "close is close enough" mindset.

einy
einy HalfDork
7/23/17 5:39 p.m.

On this evening's episode of "Automotive Forensics", the case of the mysteriously thinned down traction bar. This show is brought to you by RockAuto, where new stuff pricing beats that of junkyard stuff !!

Gearheadotaku
7/23/17 9:37 p.m.

Good thing Rockauto's a sponsor, I just placed a big order with them...

Gearheadotaku
7/26/17 9:46 p.m.

Got the holes in the firewall patched, not the best way of doing it (pop rivets and rtv) but its a step up from duct tape right?

And a coat of paint (could use another)

Wiring is mostly done. Underdash is cleaned up and made a new engine harness from a donor. Will need to make a little harness for the fans and CD box later.

chaff

wheat

mic drop.

On our next installment, I'd like to thank Rock Auto...

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
7/26/17 10:10 p.m.

I was about to use wood screws, so rivets and RTV is probably a step up.

einy
einy HalfDork
7/27/17 6:34 a.m.

Hoping you already know of the typical 5% discount on RA parts, via the codes they typically post on the Shop Talk section of this forum !!

Gearheadotaku
7/27/17 8:11 a.m.

Yes, I use (abuse) the discount codes for sure!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/27/17 8:43 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Wiring is mostly done. Underdash is cleaned up and made a new engine harness from a donor. Will need to make a little harness for the fans and CD box later. wheat mic drop.

Is that pretty much all that's needed to run a SBC with a carb and vacuum advance distributor? Maybe I should rethink trying to run the original TBI on my v8 swap.

Gearheadotaku
7/27/17 9:03 a.m.

That harness will handle starter, coil, alternator, oil pressure, coolant temp and aux power point for future. Oops, need to add a wire for electric choke.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
7/27/17 9:21 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: That harness will handle starter, coil, alternator, oil pressure, coolant temp and aux power point for future. Oops, need to add a wire for electric choke.

Really? I need to find a carbbed V8 for the Corolla then. I'm not much good with ECUs and such anyway.
In fact, I know where there is a 1978 Camaro Z28 motor and trans for $400. That would be carbbed. Seller claims "Built by Gratiot Auto Supply","Engine is a street racing motor, trans is beefed up", what ever that means.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
7/27/17 6:07 p.m.

Any carbed engine with a self contained distributor only needs an ignition power wire and block ground to run, everything else is accessories (starter, alternator, instrumentation).

Gearheadotaku
8/1/17 9:49 p.m.

so I'm lagging alot on my updates.

Last Friday Adrian came by and help me test my wiring (it works!) and pull the fuel tank out.

The truck had a carb when it was built, but somewhere along the way the fuel sending unit was changed to an injected tyoe with an in tank pump. We saw the wiring and debated as to what was inside.

What the berkley was someone thinking?

A chunk of hose with a fitting on the end was clamped to the sender then shoved into the strainer. Electrics for the absent pump just swinging inside the tank, waiting for someone to put juice to it. Probably wouldn't arc but the thought is there.

front control arms have been rebushed, idler arm replaced, good used intermedtiate shaft installed too. Rear overload leaf removed, all missing hardware on the rear end and under the back of the truck has been replaced.

Inside there is no climate control at all. As the truck formally had A/C the footwell vents are blocked off. I installed vents from a non A/C truck because fresh air is a thing, even when its raining. Repaired the parking brake while I was under the dash.

More parts to arrive soon from Rock..

Gearheadotaku
8/10/17 9:53 p.m.

Another weeks gone by and the progress continues at a slow rate....

Putting the upper control arms back in did bring about a scary moment. With the engine and trans out, there was not enough body weight to properly compress the springs. Of course I didn't notice this untill I tried to jack up the lower arm only to have the whole front of the truck come off the lift and start moving toward me! Some poo may have come out... Was able to get it back onto the arms without damage. Had to pile whatever I could find onto the corner for enough weight to get everything together.

Fuel system is all buttoned up. Proper sending unit installed and all the excess lines have been removed from the truck. Previous had an external eletric pump with retrun line. All nice braided stuff which I reused. The tank was barely hanging by one strap, new hardware added and tank is now secure. New vent line and repaired wire for sending unit.

One more hole to fix in the firewall. Previous owner had made the hole for the throttle cable bigger and was too sloppy. Not to mention the gaudy chrome and braided cable coming throught it.

Made a little peice the fit the factory cable started by drilling a hole then worked out the shape with a file.

More rivets and rtv. Someday I'll buy a welder.

Tied up the last of the eletrical loose ends and put the dash back together. Found a good peice for the center as well as an ashtray. Never thought I'd be so happy to score an ashtray at the junkyard! The S-10 had a different dash from 82-85 and they are getting really tough to find here in rust counrty. One of the mounting tabs was broken, a little epxoy and a bit of plastic that was cut from the kick panels. Fixed for $0.

Dash all together. Need to get a different e-brake release handle and a few special screws to finish it out. Not sure if I will put the radio back in or just make some block off plates. No more jungle of wires

Engine trial fit. Well, it fits. Trans will be tight and the headers are still a question. It was all in there before but not sure of the quailty. This is with the V8 pad style mounts.

Taking a week off for Woodward cruise week and visiting with family.

Gearheadotaku
8/17/17 7:54 p.m.

Get in the hole!

Motor and trans are bolted up. Headers are setting in place but not bolted up.

Had to pull off the trans stick tube to get it in. Took some twisting and shaking but it fit. Once the motor was bolted up, tried to slide in the headers. Not happening. Unbolt motor and lift up a bit, crawl under truck and pull trans to one side while someone else beats on the header from above. That was an extra hour of fun.

since they might be important, the brakes are working now too...

Gearheadotaku
8/22/17 10:13 p.m.

So last night I bolted up the torque converter only to take a better look today and realize the bolts are too small. The heads are nearly pulling through the holes in the flywheel. Have I mentioned how much I hate automatics? At least the dipstick tube install has not needed any extra attention. A quick look at the way too long shift cable and brackets left my head spinning so I moved on to the left header. After nearly having it bolted up, I remembered that the engine oil dipstick tube wasn't installed yet. Pulled the front tube back out and fitted it. Some bending and testing was needed to clear the header and steering shaft.

a little tweek and it fits.

Progress right? Now lets spin on that oil filter...

Yeah, no way to get the filter past the tubes.

I need a remote mount kit, or possibly a LT1 offset adapter.

Also, still shopping for an intake and the driveshaft may need to be shortened...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
8/23/17 6:47 a.m.

You mentioned the way-too-long shift cable.

I've not used one of the aftermarket automatic floor shifters yet. But when I have shopped for them I've always seen that they come with something like a 5' long cable. Frankly, this is one of the reasons I haven't used one. I realize too long a cable is better than too short...but 5' seems ridiculous. I wish they listed an option of a shorter cable.

Maybe they're available-but-not-advertised (?).

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mo4UznTXSQmFG6Yozg9nAlxViDlj1VuZvs0OlzUd2lBwzOjoRwhlO8aYQPgf7i9K