1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23
2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
7/31/15 4:05 p.m.

sobe death: dude. . . cottonwood pass would be excellent in a rwd. driven the 280 over it but I worked way to hard on that car . . . not much of a drifter anyway. the car and myself both prefer grip

also, I found you another 4kq in Denver if you are still looking. oh and a friend of mine is trying to unload another 4kq parts car for basically nothing. that one is in Denver as well

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
8/3/15 10:00 a.m.

In reply to 2K4Kcsq:

I would be interested, but my focus has become to get my Civic back on the road and then find something to carry gear with. As much as I wanted a turbo-5 Audi this year, I think it's going to have to wait. Even then, I think I've been swayed over to the 5K to get that wagon swag :P

Also, took the S2000 over Cottonwood on the way back from Crested Butte this past weekend. That car has way more grip than it should on a dirt road.

de80q
de80q New Reader
8/3/15 1:07 p.m.

In reply to sobe_death:

Beware of the typ44. I have had 2 of them, and nothing but problems. Parts are getting very hard to come by, and they all have rust issues unless not driven in the winter at all.

I say this, but would pick up another one in a heart beat if given the chance...

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/4/15 10:10 a.m.

I just can't stand that body. . . Avant or sedan I think they are big, ugly, heavy pigs. But that's just my 2 cents. Lol

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/16/15 10:57 a.m.

Since I am still on the challenge diet, and it was free, I pulled an 01A as a part of my search for taller gears but I doubt I will ever install it. I really want the 3.89 016 but will probably end up building mine into that with the 01A 4th-5th because I like doing things the hard way. Plus getting inside a quattro trans and familiarizing myself with it is something I feel I need to do

de80q
de80q New Reader
8/16/15 7:08 p.m.

The 01A is way different than the 016 you are currently running. Aside from the torsen center diff, it is shorter than the 016. You would need a B3 drive shaft to run it.

Is this one from a CQ or a sedan?

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/23/15 9:38 p.m.

it was a sedan. like I was saying I wont likely ever put it in this car but an extra 5spd under the bench ought to be something you can appreciate I bet.

had an awesome weekend at the local dragstrip for vw mania. a friend of mine brought his 200 running around 30lbs of boost and E85. his cars always have a way of inspiring me

it was hot and the car was a little slower than it ran last time at this track but it was consistant, just like a 10v ought to be. I was smoking the tree all night even pulling off a perfect .000 reaction time the timing system was having issues again so all we had was a win light and hand written tickets but I liked it. felt a lot more like grassroots racing

the group was much smaller than Denver and I was one of three watercooled cars in the entire vw field. launching thru the sport (slow) class all the way to the final, I told myself there is no way im missing a gear in the final race again! lining up against a square back with a 22.80 dial in, I had some time to sit at the line and think. using a little more clutch, giving the turbo more time to spool, I found the right way to launch this car for the first time all summer. chased down the squareback with time to spare, I had no intention of lifting. wound up breaking out with a 15.4 and my fastest run of the night albeit the "slowest" reaction time at .396 combine that pass with a good rt and its right at the 14.96 mark I was running a couple months ago.

another second place trophy and a cool $100 I wont complain one bit. just curious what I might run at sea level

it must be said if I had tapped the brakes before the finish I might have come home with $150 more

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/24/15 9:51 p.m.

I may have found an 016 trans and diff with the 3.89 final drive. it will be so nice to give this car the highway legs it deserves and I much prefer the taller 5spd over a 6spd swap like all the kids are doing now days. one downside will be a torsion center vs the locker but I cant imagine it being very tricky to swap the ring and pinion and or the locker/case one way or another. im not scared of a manual gearbox. . . even if it is quattro

de80q
de80q New Reader
8/25/15 9:27 a.m.

Honestly, I would keep the torsen center, and locking rear. It's pretty hard to beat that combo. I've driven both, and would take the torsen everyday.

And yes, I can appreciate having a spare trans around. Even though I seem to be the only one destroying them...

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/30/15 9:42 p.m.

My starter finally died on me saturday. . . For the first time ever something actually quit in the driveway so that was nice. Even nicer I had a free one that I kept from the same car I got the 01A Trans out of. Thing cranks faster than a 1.5 Honda now! I never realized how bad that starter was. . since the day I brought it home 4 years ago. . . Now it cranks like a new car. Starts much quicker also.

There must be a couple hundred union pacific diesel engines all hooked together sitting in the grand junction yard right now. . . . Kind of strange. Never seen anything quite like it

de80q
de80q New Reader
8/31/15 10:10 a.m.

It's funny how slow these can crank, and still start. Until my new grounds, battery, and starter went in, it was painfully slow cranking.

It is strange to see that many people engines coupled together. I have seen as many as 20 coupled up though. Wonder what's going on there.

Car is looking great as always!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
8/31/15 8:21 p.m.

I totally agree. I guess I just summed it up to that's how it was on this car with both the speed and sound of the starter. it used to make a terrible squeal when it spun down but I cured that with some grease. then one day it made a nasty squeal while cranking and stopped completely.

more fun this morning when I killed it at a light and it didn't wanna start despite its super fast "new" starter. I realized after a few try's the fuel pump wasn't priming. tried my usual quirky connections with no luck. after pushing the car 180 starting up hill and putting a nice A pillar shaped goose egg on my shoulder I started tracing fuel system wiring. everything seemed fine and I was certain I was hearing the fp relay (though it could have been the main relay) but no pump. about ready to hoof it to walmart at 6 am hoping to find another relay, I decided to try the distributor connector again since I have had an issue with it before in wet conditions, the pump primes and fires right up on the next key cycle.

I guess what I wasn't getting was continuity thru the hall?? I only question it because with the crank trigger playing the primary roll I thought the distributor only had any effect on rpm signal or while spinning. not surprised that it wouldn't start but I just don't get why the priming pulse wasn't happening. either way I ordered a new pigtail for it as well as a pigtail for the TPS since im still running three spade connectors with heat shrink in it not sure if the pigtail is my problem or the ebay hall sensor inside that distributor but I will get to the bottom of it eventually.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
9/7/15 6:48 p.m.

Found the short at the butt connection for my distributor hall sensor. I guess I should start staggering out my connections so this sort of thing doesn't happen anymore

de80q
de80q New Reader
9/8/15 3:55 p.m.

I hope that is the true problem. That's an easy fix. You may want to solder those connections.

dangerwillrbnsn
dangerwillrbnsn
9/13/15 9:33 p.m.

What a fun read, front to back. Awesome work, Jay. When I see your car in person it looks amazing. Now that I'm aware of the depth of your build, I have so much more respect! I smell an Audi/BMW showdown coming.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
9/13/15 10:17 p.m.

Just read this page and felt the need too point out that reaction time has nothing to do with E.T. reaction time is how long it takes you to start the ET clock after the light turns green. Sorry but its a pet peeve of mine.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
9/22/15 10:30 p.m.

Thanks Shane. It's cool how similar we our with taste in cars. Can't wait to see both of yours on the road again. It's also nice having someone else in town with the right kind of d.i.y. motivation.

dropstep, thanks for clearing that up. I never knew and always assumed it was about the light not the trap which now sounds dumb that I would assume that. lol

Back in the garage tonight. Replacing the passenger front cv axle, also switching back to the k24 spoolmaster. Going to spend some time fixing a few connections and will probably simplify the fuel system back by the pump, ditching the last remnants of CIS related parts.

Last weekend we took the quattro on a cruise called Das Kolorado Treffen in the central part of the state. I always look forward to this small one day event. good people who just like to drive.

I like how much the landscape changes on this drive. Tried to illustrate that with the pics but a video is better

After the last stop we headed south to check out the sand dunes and to visit a friend. If you go back in the thread a ways you will find the same backdrop seen here

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
9/23/15 3:55 p.m.

Every time I see you go on a drive, I realize how much of this state is left to visit.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
9/23/15 7:58 p.m.

In reply to sobe_death:

The Ouray double cruise is the 3rd. One of the last events this year for me anyway. A long way I know but Ouray does not disappoint and the pre-cruise we are doing is pretty much my favorite road.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
9/25/15 2:16 p.m.

Aw man, I'll be in DC! I would love to come out, and I even have friends going to Telluride that weekend, but the trip to DC is netting me about $5k towards projects

de80q
de80q New Reader
9/27/15 2:24 p.m.

Those are some awesome pics! Looking good as always! What boost are you running now?

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
9/27/15 8:36 p.m.

funny you ask, I just swapped back the the K24 I had on it last year, cranked the boost controller all the way back down and I'm making 13lbs, 3 more than with the k26 at any rpm, and getting it about 800-900 rpm sooner. it also sounds much quieter spooled up. I guess that k26 was a little more worn out than it seemed. I have always heard/read the k24 does everything better and I must agree at this point.

going to take it out on the interstate tonight to make sure I was right about the shake weight effect going on with the passenger front cv axle. I also fixed a few wiring issues, fixed the slow leak on the lower radiator hose, changed coolant, re-torqued the exhaust manifold studs, most of them had backed off a little even with new studs and new steel locknuts. something I better keep an eye on. the car is running awesome though. glad I took the time to swap turbos while I had it in the garage for the axle.

de80q
de80q New Reader
9/28/15 4:30 p.m.

I have only ever driven on a K24 so have nothing to compare it to. I'm glad it's working for you though.

What struts are you using for the exhaust manifold? I have the upgraded studs from 034 with their nuts and thick washers, and have never had one back out. In fact. When I pulled the head, I ended up pulling most of the studs from the head, and not the nuts off the studs.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
9/30/15 10:27 a.m.

In reply to de80q:

it was just a set of new ebay hardware. . . I know. . but because challenge budget. im gonna try some copper washers my friend offered. I should also add that after breaking a couple off on dissassmbly, drilling and helicoil install, I decided to use a high temp anti-sieze on all the exhaust hardware. so far the head to manifold is the only thing to come loose but that could also be to blame.

turns out I was wrong on the front end vibration that has materialized this summer. there are really only three parts up front that I haven't replaced but could be to blame. the wheel bearings, tie rod ends which all feel fine or maybe its the bent tie rod itself. I have a better one that is straight and with the weird one to compare I might just bend another tie rod one time instead of three times to get it right plus id rather start with a straight one than that weird factor bent one I started with the first time.

I wonder if a cleverly placed go pro could help me diagnose if its the subframe bushings?? I have solid ones machined by de80q himself. . . just haven't made the time to install them yet

de80q
de80q New Reader
10/1/15 7:06 a.m.

Thanks for the props. I have a few other things I'm making for these old Audi's as well, but doubt anything your interested in.

Megasquirt question for you. Do you have your fuel pump set to turn off under zero throttle deceleration? Mine is set this way, and suddenly I'm having problem with the engine just shutting off. Not sure if the pump is bad, or if the control circuit is messing up.

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z89OZi3CCxrq9nMhJRY78bbKfOzvsf7X00TVBpqyNzGytSi3wEgcc5tN03cLgyxC