1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23
2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/20/15 11:53 a.m.

I was spiking at 15 lbs then falling off above 4000rpm. Now that I have some very specific information, and datalogs to go with it, We can do some fun things that should get me just over that 200 mark, like putting a little timing back in after peak torque to help flatten out the top end. It was also nice to see hard evidence of things that I have felt for the last year, like how the overall power and torque fall off as the head gets more heat in it as you can see from runs 4 and 5.

de80q
de80q New Reader
12/20/15 1:03 p.m.

Intersting, 200whp at 15lbs. I would have really thought it would have been more.

I'm hoping that Mark from EFIexpress brings his dyno to Carlisle this year. There are no AWD dynos around me that will work with MS. Hopefully I can finally get some factual #s on my new setup then.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/21/15 9:05 a.m.

In reply to de80q:

Not sure what you mean by that. Like the owner of the dyno refuses to run a car that is on megasquirt? Or just no one knows how to tune it? And as far as it being low, like I said that's uncorrected all wheel so if it was corrected numbers or if the dyno was closer to sea level (not 5200+ft) they might be closer to what you expect. I estemated 215-230 which I think I can get there without too much trouble. But the torque was better than I thought and honestly that's the number I care about more. Especially being 10v

I spent a little more time trying to work out the baro correction and it's just not good enough for what my car does on a regular basis given where I live. Next upgrades will be second map sensor for real time elevation adjustment and I will be rounding up the parts needed for E85. Already have injectors, just need a fuel pump and flex fuel sensor

de80q
de80q New Reader
12/21/15 10:03 a.m.

The owners of the dyno's around here will not let you on knowing you are running megasquirt. I have been told by at least 3 places that MS does not work for E36 M3, and they will not allow me to use their dyno to tune my car. I couldn't help but laugh each time.

So, for some reason, I can't remember this. Are you running MS3, or MS3X? If you are looking to run e85, I'm pretty sure you need the fully sequential fueling and ignition of the MS3X.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/22/15 8:24 a.m.

That's ridiculous. Probly because people show up with a basket case and expect the dyno tuner to work miracles.

I am running ms3 no expansion and I believe your mistaken on that. The only thing I need to add is the flex sensor and write a map for e85. I'd like to upgrade to sequential and cop eventually but it's not required. In fact E85 is arguably easier to run because it doesn't knock like regular gas giving you a bigger timing cushion and less need for a knock sensor.

de80q
de80q New Reader
12/23/15 3:23 a.m.

You are correct. You don't need the sequential for E85. Sorry about that.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/23/15 11:52 a.m.

In reply to de80q: Meh. . . I still can't decide if I should just do it all at once. A five cylinder really shouldn't be on batch fire anyway. It's a success story that both our cars have run as well as they have but if I want to keep improving I need to get with the times

de80q
de80q New Reader
12/23/15 12:29 p.m.

There are quite a few people running batch fire on these old 5 cylinders. It's not ideal, but it does work. I'm going going MS3x mainly because of the turbo I will be running. I will probably do E85 at some point, but until that happens, I will be running water/meth injection to compensate.

On a different note, I guess I'll be getting a new intake manifold with my header. The guy making it is insisting on making me a large plenum intake. As he put it, why run a good exhaust/turbo setup with an inferior intake. Should be interesting...

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/24/15 8:37 a.m.

That's cool I'd be interested in seeing what he comes up with. I'd love to get my hands on one of the old group B or trans-am 10v intakes. Not sure how much gold they fetch but I'd like to have one.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
12/24/15 8:47 a.m.

Had to post. I left the snowboard in the rack for more downforce on the rollers, easily gaining 5-10hp

Also I feel like I should thank Bluewater Performance for not taking part in some sort of megasquirt segregation that's apparently going on. I understand if a car isn't safe or ready for dyno use. But to not allow testing time based on what engine management they are using is absolutely stupid. I'm sick and tired of all the megasquirt bashing from people who have never used it. Anyone hating while they read this is more than welcome to take a 12+ hr road trip in either one of my ms powered vehicles while I lecture you on how wrong your unfounded opinion is.

End rant.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
12/25/15 8:30 p.m.

Christmas day flog session

snownuts

de80q
de80q New Reader
12/26/15 5:44 a.m.

I wish! It was 73° here yesterday and raining!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/30/15 9:29 a.m.

I spent all my Christmas money at DIY

looks like my goals for wuste 10 are starting to fall in place

de80q
de80q New Reader
12/30/15 10:33 a.m.

No knock board?

And you make me sad with all the snow pics/vids. I really wanted to go play in it this year, and we have only had maybe 3 days below 35°!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
12/31/15 8:28 a.m.

it didn't even cross my mind but your right, knock sensor would be a good idea. As for the snow, the guessers say we are going to dry up while the moisture shifts your direction but who knows. Id be perfectly content getting all the snow this year

de80q
de80q New Reader
1/4/16 11:47 a.m.

Yeah, I got the real time and knock sensor add ons for mine. I'll be shipping that to Eric soon to be assembled.

As for the weather. We are in the 20°s now, so I would assume the guessers may have been right on this one.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
1/17/16 9:09 a.m.

Not much to post. My ms3x and map sensor arrived awhile back. Been so busy trying to get the snowcat running that I haven't touched the audi. I do know after this winter that it needs a bigger catch can. That thing reaches the full mark in 500 miles when it's wet out.

de80q
de80q New Reader
1/17/16 11:24 a.m.

Why are you getting so much blow by? I do not have a catch can at all, and it lets very little oil out of the breather.

I was worried I was going to dump oil out of the Intercooler when I pulled it yesterday, but it was just a film on the inlet and outlet.

de80q
de80q New Reader
1/17/16 11:34 a.m.

I do have a question for you though. How close to the trigger wheel is your hall sensor? Mine is about .025"-.030" away from the teeth. I'm just trying to make sure that's close enough.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/16 3:57 p.m.
2K4Kcsq wrote: Had to post. I left the snowboard in the rack for more downforce on the rollers, easily gaining 5-10hp Also I feel like I should thank Bluewater Performance for not taking part in some sort of megasquirt segregation that's apparently going on. I understand if a car isn't safe or ready for dyno use. But to not allow testing time based on what engine management they are using is absolutely stupid. I'm sick and tired of all the megasquirt bashing from people who have never used it. Anyone hating while they read this is more than welcome to take a 12+ hr road trip in either one of my ms powered vehicles while I lecture you on how wrong your unfounded opinion is. End rant.

What did it end up making? I'm curious.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/16 4:21 p.m.

Dyno won't let you tune Megasquirt? That is hilarious. MS is a much better platform than a lot of the "big name" units out there.

Curious to see how you do with E85. I'm really looking at flex fuel (it (looks trivial to implement with MS3/MS3Pro), but I am also looking at making 400+ crank HP, and MY GOD injectors are expensive if you want decent ones. (Injector Dynamics) At least the fuel pump should be fairly easy, Walbro 400 and a hotwire setup.

+1 on the intake manifold. The five really looks like it wants a big plenum on those runners.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
1/21/16 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Knurled: I agree man. Injectors are pricey. But I haven't heard of much trouble running a flex setup on ms3. Just gotta write 2 good maps so the computer can blend.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/16 7:51 p.m.

It was almost comical when I put together a shopping list for a 6 cylinder engine making a certain horsepower. The injectors were more expensive than the turbocharger! I'd like to say it was $1600 just for the six injectors...

Oooooof.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/16/16 8:46 a.m.

4 out of 5 ls2 coils have arrived. I'll be working on a COP mounting bracket soon. I've also decided it's in my best interest to ditch the throttle linkage and figure out a cable setup along with relocating the TPS to the throttle body. Too much trouble it's caused me.

In reply to de80q: I don't believe it's all blow by filling my catch can. I am pulling a vacuum from my charcoal can to the catch can, some have suggested I ditch that. Also, how in the hell are you getting away with no catch can at all? Mine was an embarrassment before I put one on. Lol I have been wanting to do a compression test for awhile so maybe that will explain more.

In reply to crankwalk: dyno sheet is on the previous page. It made 193hp and 249tq at 4300rpm @14psi. Uncorrected all wheel on a dyno that resides over 5000ft elevation.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/16 1:54 p.m.
2K4Kcsq wrote: In reply to crankwalk: dyno sheet is on the previous page. It made 193hp and 249tq at 4300rpm @14psi. Uncorrected all wheel on a dyno that resides over 5000ft elevation.

Ahh sweet, I don't know how I missed that. I was thinking 220 whp based on your mods and me only dealing with stuff at close to sea level. Very respectable numbers especially for 5000 ft.

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IMF6TYK9DTRH1vDtgIC3eU4RVMA8FPZNtCx2usrspyR6H8s89HSn5BZftv1v5cS1