1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
3/25/18 5:33 p.m.
EvanB said:

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I wish i had kept that red wagon, if only to swap the drivetrain to this. I have a lot more space now than i did back then though.

Can't say I blame you. That turbo was a diamond in the rough of turbobricks FS forum that I picked up. It totally transformed that wagon. With the miles that were on that car I could hardly believe how well the transmission had held up. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/18 6:39 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

I did have some fun with it while I had it. Including driving through downtown Chicago with it and my NA wagon with no exhaust. 

EvanB
3/27/18 3:45 p.m.

First video is up, obviously very delayed from the actual progress of the build. I was disappointed, I wanted to see some cutting. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/27/18 4:03 p.m.
EvanB said:

After the above discussion i am still going to buy the hf brake. The money spent is worth not losing time and momentum on the build.

Today I welded the driver door and handle shut. Then cut down some trees.

I'd do it over again. Doing all the mods would only take an afternoon. 

I'm pretty sure I did mine while waiting for something to cool off, or get hot. 

EvanB
4/1/18 1:50 p.m.

All of the Harbor Freights in town were sold out of the brake, I guess I'll have to wait a bit and not use the 25% coupon. 

The windshield needed to come out to do rust repair before paint. I was trying to take it out in one piece but accidentally cracked it so we had some fun getting it out. There will be video of that at some point. 

The rust wasn't quite as bad as I thought after cleaning everything up with a wire wheel. There is only one small hole. I was expecting to have to do some welding but I will probably just fiberglass this and use filler on the pitted sections.

I got the trim holes welded shut on one side. We also took the front fenders off. The driver side fender had a sizable rust hole at the bottom so we are going to swap on a better spare, we decided to take both off to make it easier to paint. 

The roof is mostly done. It did warp a bit in the middle as I wasn't as careful as I could have been but I'm not used to welding sheet metal. It just needs a few more welds touched up then it will be ready for filler. 

The door on the left side will need a bit more filler than the right side. It had some minor accident damage and the gap was larger in some areas. 

Project86fox
Project86fox New Reader
4/1/18 6:30 p.m.

This is why I love grassroots!

EvanB
4/2/18 10:52 a.m.
EvanB
4/7/18 9:15 p.m.

Not a whole lot to report. The new rockers came in so I cut out the passenger side rocker which was the bad one. 

The reason why I cut it out to replace. 

I still didn't have a sheet metal brake from harbor freight so there wasn't much we could do today. I decided it was time to build a loft so we went to home depot to get supplies. The roof on my garage wasn't constructed to have things stored in the rafters so I took everything down a few weeks ago. I wanted somewhere to store larger stuff so I built a loft over the workbench. 

I framed it out with 2x6 then used 4x4 for the legs and anchored it to the wall with tapcons. It is sturdy and should reduce the clutter. 

After that I drove an hour north to the harbor freight that had a sheet metal brake in stock and bought that. Tomorrow I will finish replacing the rocker and maybe do some filler to ger ready for paint. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
4/8/18 9:28 a.m.

Cool project,I'd just use some all metal filler on the pin holes. Works good and its waterproof

EvanB
4/8/18 5:48 p.m.

Another day of failure. 

Last gas cylinder I got for the welder only had 700 psi. I didn't think much of it because I didn't know how much it should have. It ran out quickly and I called the gas store and they said they would switch it out for me. I got the new one last week but didn't hook it up till today. This one only has 800 psi indecision. There isn't much I can do about it today so I started patching the hole in the floor. I got the patch cut and tacked in then ran out of wire. 

So for the entire day I accomplished tacking a patch into the floor...

EvanB
4/8/18 7:29 p.m.
EvanB
4/15/18 5:21 p.m.

Turns out the new gas bottle wasn't empty, my gauge was just sticking. I did buy a new spool of wire. Yesterday the wire feed on my welder stopped working. After taking the feed motor out and jumping it on a battery it started turning again. After putting everything back together it is working fine. 

The passenger side rocker is on and the driver side is patched. Also started welding up the bottoms of the rear doors. 

I bent up some caps for the bed rails and we started doing body filler. The roof has a couple of passes and still needs some more. I put one coat on the passenger door seam. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/15/18 5:59 p.m.

Keep going! My Forester is begging for the same treatment. 

Campbelljj
Campbelljj New Reader
4/16/18 7:58 a.m.

Roof section looks great. Nice work!

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Reader
4/16/18 11:03 a.m.

Your garage has needed that loft for so long its not even funny. 

EvanB
4/16/18 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Yea, it's a lot better with that. 

Now I need to put in more outlets and lights. 

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/16/18 12:45 p.m.

This build is cool as funk.

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
4/16/18 2:20 p.m.
EvanB said:

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Yea, it's a lot better with that. 

Now I need to put in more outlets and lights. 

I was amazed at how much of a difference adding a few lights made in my garage. One of the best investments I've ever made. Really transformed the feel of the space.  Much nicer place to spend time now

EvanB
4/16/18 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

I think adding more lights, outlets and painting the walls will go a long way to making it much nicer. Along with fixing a few leaks in the ceiling, and finishing the back storage room. 

EvanB
4/16/18 4:18 p.m.
EvanB
4/23/18 8:25 p.m.

Another video up. Not a whole lot has been done since, i have been working on other things while Jake does body work on the volvo.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
4/23/18 9:23 p.m.

Be sure to make a badge attesting to this.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/24/18 3:49 p.m.

Been watching the videos, I love this project!

Campbelljj
Campbelljj New Reader
5/6/18 6:57 a.m.

Hey Evan we need an update. 

EvanB
5/6/18 7:42 a.m.

In reply to Campbelljj :

Yea I know. I have been working on other things and doing yardwork and occasionally getting back to this. There should be some more progress soon. I'll get some pictures of the current state up soon. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RCzv14Q98XAswtEbUAULQZ2yrmde4UjR5ZI4FLpPl9G8YDBbDZgb6ZGlYX4muYsD