1 2
TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
8/18/24 8:17 a.m.

Nice!

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/24 11:56 a.m.

That Rotoflex suspension is a great way to fix the handling of any early Spitfire. I just installed on on a client's 66 Spitfire that is getting and engine upgrade. Not inexpensive to rebuilt, as you will find that the bolts are all rusted in the uprights. I have done three of them, all combined with an R160 differential and CV axles from a Subaru. But for your use, stock GT6 parts, differential and the original axles should be fine.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/19/24 3:55 p.m.

If you don't feel like making them yourself, Canley Classics sells the rear lower control arm brackets to convert a Spit to Rotoflex. 

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?product=rear-wishbone-mounting-bracket

oppositelocksmith
oppositelocksmith Reader
8/19/24 7:58 p.m.

Thanks Dherr and Ian. 

DHerr, we're actually stuck right where you mention. Any suggestions on freeing them? I hate to cut them and drill them out.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/20/24 2:19 p.m.

Yes, a very common problem as the bolts that go through the uprights have steel inserts that rust to the bolts. The guy who rebuilds these for me mentioned the following, which might be helpful.

ADDITIONAL CHARGES BROKEN OR STUCK BOLTS:

• Remove any stuck or broken bolts. Almost always the radius rod bolts are seized in the vertical link. We have special tooling to remove these without damaging anything. This service is $75 per bolt. Sometimes we get lucky and this is not needed. If perhaps in removing these from the car it was necessary to cut them off we can extract the cutoff bolt without further damage to the vertical link.

oppositelocksmith
oppositelocksmith Reader
8/20/24 9:26 p.m.

Thanks David. I'm guessing you're talking about Gary H?

dherr (Forum Supporter)
8/20/24 10:21 p.m.

Absolutely, he is the master, has done two sets for me so far!

oppositelocksmith
oppositelocksmith Reader
9/10/24 7:14 p.m.

Another exciting parts finding trip. I found a guy with a parts horde near my parents. 

Mom n Dad headed over to see what they could find. 

They came home with a nice pair of clean doors, complete chrome set and too many other parts to mention.

Piguin
Piguin Reader
9/10/24 7:39 p.m.

Nice haul!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7uaBM3PUWADW5NA09FIa5FHhlwb8B0IKHtFqHo2WcInYozDYNCrmwb3r2i2S7Aen