1 ... 7 8 9
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/6/24 2:31 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Galvan in Harrisburg nc can do galvanized for you. They do trailer frames and stuff frequently. Today the had 60 ft i beams 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/6/24 2:53 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Galvan in Harrisburg nc can do galvanized for you. They do trailer frames and stuff frequently. Today the had 60 ft i beams 

I'll keep that in mind, but if I go that direction I'm hoping there will be a place a bit closer to me that can do it (I'd guess there's someplace in Cinci or Louisville if there's not a place here in Lexington, and if not there has to be a place in Indy) as Harrisburg is a bit of a haul from here.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
5/6/24 4:25 p.m.

POR-15 applies pretty easily, and holds up well as long as everything is prepped right, and it's not exposed to much UV.  But, I'd avoid applying anything until you've got the frame fully mocked up and modified for the new drivetrain.  I've heard it is not fun to wire wheel off.

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/6/24 4:41 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Whatever gets done to rust-protect the frame will be done after everything (rust repairs, modifications for drivetrain, etc.) is done- essentially the last thing to be done before I start putting things back on the frame for good. So realistically, I'm not in a huge hurry for that- especially if getting together things like the batteries, inverter, etc. take a while and I wait until I've gotten everything on the body side of things worked out (which will be a whole other- mostly electrical wiring- ball of wax).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/24 8:36 p.m.

On the Rover, I did minor rust repair then POR-15. It's actually pretty easy to grind off on a small area, weld and repaint. 20 years later, it's just fine. The rear bulkhead is exposed and has seen two decades of harsh high altitude sun, and it's just a bit faded. Highly recommend. 

I would not do powdercoat on a project car. That's a show car thing. Project cars are too mutable. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
5/6/24 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I wonder if there was a formula change at some point.  The POR-15 that is most exposed on my Beetle is pretty chalky, it's only about 5-6 years old and the car spends a lot of time under cover.  The stuff in the interior is still pretty good, though.

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/7/24 8:12 a.m.

So the place here in town got back to me with a quote- $650 to media blast the frame clean, and $275-$350 to powder coat it if I decide to go that route. 

I'm actually a bit surprised that the quote to blast it is as high as it is and the quote to powder coat it is as low as it is- but I suppose that about $1k to clean and cost a frame isn't all that bad these days... 

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/8/24 3:03 p.m.

Waiting to hear back from several mobile blasting people/companies to see what they'll charge- but I was able to get pretty much everything else off of the frame last night. The only things still on it are the two front flex brake lines that go through brackets on the front of the frame because I cannot get the nuts on the fitting that goes though the brackets to come loose, in no small part due to the fact that the brackets are just bent sheet metal welded to the frame and any attempt at breaking loose the nut just results in the flange bending and starting to tear away from the frame. I imagine that I'll just have to cut the brackets off completely and make new ones to weld on (and replace the brake lines- I already have to replace at least one hard line that snapped when trying to get it loose).

Keith Tanner
5/8/24 10:41 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I wonder if there was a formula change at some point.  The POR-15 that is most exposed on my Beetle is pretty chalky, it's only about 5-6 years old and the car spends a lot of time under cover.  The stuff in the interior is still pretty good, though.

That was the story 20 years ago too, that it would go chalky. Maybe I'm just not picky enough about the finish on an exposed piece of frame on a 48 year old off-roader :) I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow, but iirc it just looks a bit oxidized. You can always topcoat it. 

Keith Tanner
5/9/24 1:02 p.m.

Here it is today. This has been outside continuously for two decades and is fully exposed to high altitude, high UV sunlight. I think that's dirt on the center section (had a trans fluid spill in the back that covered the center secton mid-trip a while back, and that glued dust to the rear) but the paint is definitely not shiny anymore. I guess that's the chalkiness. I haven't tried waxing it to see if it'll buff up because, well, this is not a waxing kind of vehicle.

Closer.

The sections underneath and inside are still black and shiny when I clean them off. For a frame that's inside/underneath a car like a Delorean, I wouldn't hesitate to use POR again.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/9/24 2:52 p.m.

I sandblasted and powder coated a Miata chassis (after seam welding).  Couldn't be happier. 

It's not UV safe, but that's ok. 

On a Delorean I'd do it again in a heartbeat. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/9/24 3:02 p.m.

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/10/24 6:37 p.m.

Called up one of the other places I was referred to about getting the frame blasted, and their ballpark was $7-800 and are about 20 minutes away so would have to come and haul the frame there, so it sounds like the local place will be the way to go.

Currently reconsidering the timing of it though since I won't be able to really do anything with it once it's blasted until at least the beginning of the month since the garage is going to be occupied by the non-profit's yard sale stuff until then. It may be a while as well before I really have figured out what modifications will be needed for the new drive train, batteries, and such- and I'll need to figure out a temporary rust-protectant measure between when I get the frame back from being blasted and when I coat it however I end up doing (I'm actually somewhat leaning toward the POR at the moment, because there are several places that will be somewhat encapsulated once I weld up all of the repairs so I'd be able to put the POR on before closing up the repairs).

Ashyukun (Robert)
5/20/24 3:37 p.m.

Over the weekend I got the go-ahead from the place that is going to clean up the frame to drop it off today, so I finally broke out the angle grinder and cut out the really badly rusted part of the front frame box so they would be able to blast off the old epoxy more easily.

This morning I grabbed a trailer from U-Haul and with KYAllroad's help loaded the frame up on the trailer and took it to the shop for them to blast clean. They said it could be from 2-3 weeks for them to get it done (they primarily do commercial stuff, so it will get done when they have the time between other jobs), which works out well for me since it will mean it's not in the way for the yard sale this weekend and I'll have time to do some clean-up and organization of the garage after the sale to things will be better set up for working on it when I get it back.

I'm trying to track down a few cheap engine stands to make into a cheap DIY rotissarie to put the frame on when I get it back so I can easily work on it from different angles.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/20/24 5:21 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

I'm trying to track down a few cheap engine stands to make into a cheap DIY rotissarie to put the frame on when I get it back so I can easily work on it from different angles.

I did this with my TVR frame and it worked out great.  I did put in a little effort to make sure the pivot points on the two engine stands were both level and at the same height.  Beyond that, it was easy and super helpful.

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PpeqprA4qM1D0vFvBSRLqhotCSIBKY3q9fRkEVUGlhV9h2kzJarB0J2aN8K6zWp5