1 2 3
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
11/6/23 10:29 p.m.

Is there a parental block for classifieds? There should be. 

My beloved biscuit (99accord) is getting a little far along. The clunks and rattles are worsening, the whining is getting bad, the plastic is disintegrating, and the electrics are giving up. It still has some life, but I'm ...hesitant... to put any more dollars into it. Even where parts are available. Just lost another hvac actuator, LH rear door handle broke, trans leaks, steering leaks, rear main leaks. Clutch is starting to go. Recurring CEL for "cam sensor" which means distributor. All this is to say, it's easy to justify a cheap replacement. That said, I cross my heart, I wasn't thinking about that while browsing CL this morning. 

So. xB. I've never even driven one. I text the guy, he's good about sending more pictures and has a pretty open schedule. I test drive, scan for codes, check tires and stuff. He's firm on price and it won't last around here, being a Toyota and all. So I jumped. 

The driving experience is a bit silly. It isn't fast. 1NZ means 1.5. It's light. Steering is smooth at speed but when you lean into it, it's really worth a laugh. Guy claims it was his daily since 30k, but there's a strut bar and an Apple sticker, so??? It's fine. VSC and TRAC lights are on. Whatevs. Guy says it's on clutch 2 and replaced the timing chain/tensioner at 150k. Sticker says it's due for oil. 

So I parked it down the road at a friends place until I can get a ride up to drive it home. So technically this is the obligatory "start the thread before getting the car" introduction, even though I do have the title. 

Party on. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/23 10:47 p.m.

Oh I always liked these. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/7/23 12:28 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I didn't. I remember distinctly hating all the "stupid square cars" when they came out. These, ford Edge, Elements, Juke, all of them. 

That was a long time ago. I also remember thinking the PT cruiser looked cool, so obviously I had some maturing to do. 

These days, I don't mind the looks. And I really like the funkiness of the entire experience. Nobody needs 10" of headroom. Nobody needs cubic yards of storage space on the dash. Nobody needs a factory body kit that grinds every curb and speed bump. But it isn't always about needs. 

LionPride
LionPride Reader
11/7/23 9:35 a.m.

I've never owned an XB, but I do appreciate the headroom.  It's nice not to have to drive leaned over or head brushing the headliner.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/7/23 10:10 a.m.

For family chores I think you'll find the xB to be excellent. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/7/23 10:40 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Family chores yes, but it's fully challenge legal. Just so we're clear. I don't know what the plan is, but I'm trying to keep my options open. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/7/23 10:27 p.m.

Drove it home. Super windy and dark out that highway. 

The good: 

Runs like a champ. Peppy, and the suspension and steering are great. Shifts well, rides well (for what it is) and moves down the road. 
It's a giggle to drive. 108hp and 2450lbs. Super chuckable. The seats and steering wheel have had covers since guy bought it so they're all in great shape. Hotchkis strut brace is neat. 

dirty. Super dirty. 

good spare, fix-a-flat and FREE JUMPER CABLES! Not bad.

The bad:

Guy installed DICKHEAD headlights. ABS light (lots of codes) and VSC light (probably related). And two CELs. Evap small leak and...

P0420 catalyst below threshold. 
boo. 

eh. It has 256k miles. It is a running and driving Toyota, manual w/ functioning AC. The upside is we don't have emission testing, and I am a Toyota employee so pricing is as good as it gets. Still don't know 1-the actual price and 2- availability. But, life goes on. I don't regret it. 

Coworker decided it would be funny to print out a "wishlist" of all the factory accessories that are still available. Some of the stuff is absolutely ridiculous. 

Anyway. Tucked away until the Honda sells. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/8/23 6:19 a.m.

I love those  wierd little boxes. 

Always wanted one in yellow. Id put Velveeta on the side. 

Looking forward to seeing you and it at the challenge! 

barefootcyborg5000
11/8/23 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I can't make any promises, but I hope I can make it work. Envelope class still leaves plenty for suspension tricks and tires. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/8/23 1:42 p.m.

Boxes are good for a lot of things. I was a little unsure about getting a Box but I'll tell you what, It's been a great addition to the fleet. Coming up on 1 year in the fleet and it's already been to 20 states. Adding 21 and 22 this weekend. 

Nice ride. one of those with the blower they made for them is a hoot for what it is. 

Powar
Powar UltraDork
11/8/23 3:26 p.m.

I'm currently working on one of these to take over daily driving duties from my '92 900S, and recently bought a wrecked parts car to donate some things to the project. Let me know if you need anything that you can't find closer to home.

I have wanted one of these since they were first announced for the US market when I was an impressionable teenager. I never got one because I never had the right combination of need/desire/money at the right time to buy one until now. Sadly, the one I picked up is a $500 roach, but it won't be when I'm done with it.

And I may regret asking this, but do you mind sharing that wishlist?

barefootcyborg5000
11/8/23 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Powar :

Sure. I'm seriously considering the hubcaps. 

Now. I said wishlist. What it actually is, is all the accessories that are still available. Some are technically discontinued, but still exist on the ground. Likelihood I actually order any of it is pretty small. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
11/8/23 4:16 p.m.

I love my box, have fun with yours!

Powar
Powar UltraDork
11/8/23 4:18 p.m.

Can you guys actually get that spoiler? I thought they were discontinued. My parts car has that goofy LED interior lighting in it. I might see if I can remove it to use in the good one. The armrest seems like a worthwhile upgrade, but I'll reserve judgement until I get mine on the road. I like the funky hubcaps on my parts car:

The ones that show up for your part number look like second gen xB caps.

barefootcyborg5000
11/8/23 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Powar :

Google images is wrong. I thought the same thing. 

And my facing PDC has the spoiler in stock in my right color. I think it is technically disco-ed. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/9/23 1:58 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Family chores yes, but it's fully challenge legal. Just so we're clear. I don't know what the plan is, but I'm trying to keep my options open. 

Almost. 63" tall, 57" track. 1" spacers and 2" drop is easy but still not enough. Shorter tires and wheels with more offset may be necessary. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/10/23 1:59 p.m.

There's an upside to hanging around all these Toyota lifers. 
I get to remove the power ranger lightshow JVC unit installed by the PO

barefootcyborg5000
11/13/23 1:36 p.m.

Turns out, when you want wheels and none of the Toyota people have any laying around, just ask the Honda guys because 4-100 is 4-100. Makes me wish I still had the race wheels from the mudstain. 
But, the price is right when I need two tires anyway. 

17" w/ almost new jimmys. Gonna test fit and make sure the steering still steers. I'm super excited. According to the internet, I'll be losing 2/10ths diameter, so that's like a gear reduction and I'll be super fast. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/14/23 1:30 p.m.

Let's have a vote. 

A- Fix/replace cat

2- 2" drop

I don't think I have the budget right now for both. So really it's a which one should I wait for?

barefootcyborg5000
11/15/23 8:16 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/23 8:22 p.m.

Drop it.  Gotta look good before you run good.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/15/23 8:27 p.m.

Cat? You mean hollow cat can and o2 spacer, right?

barefootcyborg5000
11/15/23 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Likely next on the list. I was "worried" the wheels would make dropping necessary. And they did. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/15/23 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I replaced the gas cap (small evap leak) and the CEL didn't return on the way home... fingers crossed. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/16/23 12:50 a.m.

One of my guys recalibrated the VSC and TRAC stuff. Codes said it had lost zero-point, which is consistent with the recently replaced battery. And we changed the oil, trans sauce, and air filter. There's a hint of left pull, but I'm going to put off aligning it until the lowering question has an answer. The 17s add a lot of "road-feel" which is to say you feel more of the bumps. Eh. 

Im digging the xB. It's such a laugh. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BofgT1gzFFCmBe50jBEr3ZAgNhk2AE2Spb6EK9q18QCbyqLjMHXik9jiteXR3lG2