1 2 3
ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
8/5/24 4:39 p.m.

Super successful trip to the scrap guy.

Four S10 aluminum wheels (didn't even have to take the tires off) and I got this load, still a few more pieces I have to pick up when I bring him the leftover prices of the body.

I don't know what the old body weighs, but the flat bed is approximately 100 pounds.

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
8/9/24 1:06 a.m.

Finally, I was able to track down Lextec for the correct pinout to do the 0411 swap; my buddy Dan managed to talk a buddy of his into buying my spare s10 frame and some body parts.

I should be able to bring the rest of the parts home this weekend, and I don't even have to haul the carcass of the parts truck home from brighten.

Lowering should occur this weekend, and maybe get started on fabricating the rest of the bed.

The 0411 swap should start next weekend, and if that goes well, I should be able to start on the turbo within the next two weeks.

Thats all the good news for the week.

The bad, Doudeack wants my other set of aluminum s10 wheels before he will let me pic up the rest of the parts for the flat bed, I guess I misunderstood, oh well. I missed out on the fiberglass one-piece front end that I was counting on, it just took me too long to get the truck into shape for a road trip, and there was no way to do it with the car; he did give me my deposit back, though. Most of the roll cage tubes I bought cant be used, as the pipe bender I have to use will only hold a die big enough to do 1-5/8.

so, I will continue to drive it with no fenders or hood, I already sold the grill and bumper, I will probably just buy some 1-5/8 mild steel for the roll bar. woulda have been cool to use 1-3/4 DOM, but was really overkill and the only use I had for the other set of wheels were for the winter, I should be able to pick up some steelies.

so, all in all, its been a very good week so far.

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
8/11/24 2:32 p.m.

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
8/11/24 2:36 p.m.

Well, for better or worse, it's lowered.

Now I can figure out what height too mount the bed at.

Eventually I will have to get lowering springs instead of blocks, this is not going to handle speed bumps... Or much of anything well.

The blocks push the lowest point of the truck down to like 2.5 inches of the ground.

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
8/29/24 11:53 p.m.

I finally have all the parts from the parts blazer home.

There are boxes and boxes and boxes, some of it I'm not sure is S10 related. Will try to sort it out and take pictures this weekend. 

We have been back on 70 hours at work so I've had very little time to do anything. But I have daily driven it for the last two weeks without incident.

I get slightly more smiles and compliments than head shakes or dirty looks. 

I'm running on about 4 hours sleep today but the trip to Indiana before work was worth it!

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
8/29/24 11:59 p.m.

Will this ever go fast enough to need a cage? No. Not unless I engine swap it later, but this is being built to tow my Vette Kart around so it will never get the full high performance treatment. But an S10 (ok Bravada) kart hauling around a Vettekart makes me happy.

Yes I'm wired that way, no I'm not ashamed.  Especially not for $200!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/24 7:20 a.m.

I like what's happening here

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/30/24 7:57 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I like what's happening here

Same 

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
9/9/24 10:13 p.m.

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
9/9/24 10:17 p.m.

Roll bar installed. Body mounts are different between the s10 and bravada, not sure my original plans for closing up the cabin (making a convertible hard top) are going to pan out.

Flat bed about 75% finished, need to install the hardware that will allow it to slide open for under bed storage.

Looks a bit strange as high as the bed sits, but while if like it to not look too stupid when finished, function is definitely going to be priority over form

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
9/14/24 9:49 p.m.

So, this will be the third weekend in a row that I haven't gone through the boxes of parts that came with the eBay turbo kit and parts truck

There is a lot of junk, like dude just cleaned out his garage of anything he didn't want, S10 related or not.

I have yet to identify this part. He says it's from a syclone and it's for using coil overs, but none of the parts I've been able to locate online look anything like it 

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
9/14/24 9:52 p.m.

I got out of work at 5:30 am, jumped in the truck and drove 854 miles round trip. Took 15 hours, I'm totally beat.

But, when deals line this come up, you fly, or you miss them.

Supposed to be rebuilt, with a mild cam, definitely has the 2114 intake and a really nice paintjob

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
9/14/24 9:56 p.m.

He was asking $700, went down to 650 to help me out with the cost of the trip, and when I explained about the challenge in person he let me have it for $500

I'm super stoked, but he has no info about the cam, said he "thinks it's an RV cam, and that it was really snappy but not lopey"

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/16/24 8:56 a.m.

What in the what is going on here

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
9/16/24 9:18 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Ounces make pounds taken to an extreme?

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
9/17/24 11:05 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
maschinenbau said:

Ounces make pounds taken to an extreme?

Flatbed BravaduhKart?

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
9/17/24 9:54 p.m.

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
9/17/24 9:56 p.m.

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
9/17/24 9:59 p.m.

The flat bed attachment is a removable "tool" as is the crane, the brush guard and several more "modular" upgrades I have planned.

Including but not limited to a front splitter, belly pan,  tent, mattress, PA system, winch, machine guns, rocket launcher... You know, just the essentials 

ThePoors
ThePoors New Reader
9/18/24 9:30 p.m.

I had a person ask me questions at the gas station tonight.

And I realized that I'd never really explained what I had going on to anyone before.

On the rear of this truck I am building what is essentially a piccatinny rail. Currently it is built from whatever scrap steel was available but if I ever manage to find some 1 5/8 tube of the appropriate length at scrap prices that will change and it will look prettier.

Ultimately the rail will stiffen the chassis as well as provide an attachment point.

I hope to go to wasteland next year with a tactical load out, side mounted machine guns and a rocket launcher.

But minus all the sillyness I hope to run it in the 8th mile and at autocross events.

In addition it will also serve as the tow vehicle for my Vette Kart and do occasional duty out on the two tracks (takes about an hour to crank up the torsion keys, swap the tires and the lowering blocks in the rear).

Now, trying to make it do all this is a lot of trial and error and a lot of compromise.

To be honest, most people just think it's foolish (even the ones who like it) I keep thinking people will get it as I make progress, but maybe they won't.

Oh well.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W1aoDrQzEA1WXN8f05pWrv5rQn6MDbAF4ZlMO2IWbNy79wwa0QBrVuKz0Trnt5ky