1 ... 157 158 159
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/15/24 12:43 p.m.

Watching the vid, some observations

I like starting at the bottom because gravity becomes my friend once the bottom is in place.

I have a bunch of old toothbrushes that I grind the end of the handles down to act as pushers if I need to attack  the rubber for some reason like pushing in those upper corners from the outside. I also have a couple of metal spatulas bent in various shapes to help with unruly rubber like where it does not go in place as the string passes. 

The video does  mention a "ledge" that needs to be seated if the rubber is in the correct place. Is this something you can verify? From the outside it looks like the rubber seal needs to be 1" higher at the top of the windshield/roof panel. Your daughter does call it out.

That piece of paracord should be dripping lube. Same with the rubber window seal. Whenever I do this it tends to be  real messy. A lot of places you kinda have to "walk" the rope out of the rubber to get the seal on; not always the smooth pull as shown in videos. 

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/15/24 3:05 p.m.

Also - Get a couple of pieces of 1" dowel, or failing that, just a stick from the yard, to make into handles for the cord.  Will be WAY easier on the hands.  

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
8/15/24 4:35 p.m.

"We're not hiring anyone!"

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
8/15/24 4:36 p.m.

The gasket does not look symmetrical- I have no idea but are you sure you have the inside inside?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/15/24 4:52 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

The gasket does not look symmetrical- I have no idea but are you sure you have the inside inside?

Yes, the outside of the bottom portion is hugely wide. It would have to be "inside out" to be "backwards" if you catch the drift.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/24/24 3:18 p.m.

Just mocked up, but it looks pretty good. I'm still thinking white grill and gunmetal bumper. Thoughts?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/24/24 4:38 p.m.

I think it looks pretty impressive. Remaining color choice details  are up to what makes you and the school  happy, I don't think you can go wrong at this point.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/24 5:05 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I'd go white grille for sure but see how the black bumper "feels". Then keep it or change it some more. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/24/24 5:35 p.m.

I actually really like the industrial grey against the yellow 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/29/24 3:08 p.m.

Finally got the headlight surrounds in, as well as a few other things you can't see.

Does anyone remember the original grill? There was some black involved.

So maybe the chrome bits of the grill showing above get painted gunmetal along with the bumper and the black parts of the grill get painted white

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
8/29/24 3:39 p.m.

Wait, did i miss the part where you succeeded with the windshield battle????

edit: nvrmnd.  zoomed in.   it will happen!

1 ... 157 158 159

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jficn9mkACmMogdYKCse7JGVtZfGyC8oQsJMF16nnrtrZsOQmbguvyOqkSSug1rF