1 2 3 4 ... 30
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/2/20 10:04 a.m.

Rear brakes check out fine. I ckeaned and adjusted them anyway, and upon closer inspection i realized there is no way to ise the wrong parts for the backing plate. 

So im back to the drawing board. Maybe spring bushings?

Or, could the abs be doing something wiered? Any way to test that isea?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/2/20 10:12 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Rear brakes check out fine. I ckeaned and adjusted them anyway, and upon closer inspection i realized there is no way to ise the wrong parts for the backing plate. 

So im back to the drawing board. Maybe spring bushings?

Or, could the abs be doing something wiered? Any way to test that isea?

Don't rear-ABS equipped Chevy/GM trucks from that era have some valve that disables the rear brakes under certain circumstances?

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/2/20 10:20 a.m.

Make sure you have some drag on those rear brakes, they really need to be in proper adjustment to work right.  They will still have a mushy pedal feel with the ABS though, a good bleed (and new fluid) won't hurt.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 10:21 a.m.

If you don't fall in love with it send it to me

9/2/20 10:27 a.m.

So I just got back from a test drive. The brake Shake is far less violent now. It's still pulses through the brake pedal real significantly. Don't feel it in the steering wheel. Could the rear drums be out of round? Or am I barking up the wrong tree looking at the rear drums at all? I will say it stops an amazing amount better with properly adjusted rear drums though

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/2/20 11:17 a.m.

Were they assembled backwards? 

9/2/20 11:56 a.m.

Not following that,  Chandler. 

Also, i tried unhook the abs. No change.

And its right back to violent shaking. 

But, brake light switch fixed the no brake light problem,  and i ran it through the full service car wash.

9/2/20 12:04 p.m.

even clean,  i don't like the color. But it looks FAR better clean and with the toolbox and bed rails removed 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
9/2/20 12:08 p.m.

Nice.

Let's talk about my front brake scheme sometime.

My duo:

9/2/20 12:13 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Thinking of going six lug with the ld2500 stuff?

solfly
solfly HalfDork
9/2/20 12:21 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

No. I'm looking at the possibility of:

~ 2004 2wd Astro knuckles

~2000 2WD Grand Cherokee hubs

~2005 13" grand cherokee rotors

13" gmt800 calipers.

All I've been able to do so far is look at pictures. I can't find a good source of ball joint dimensions. I assume they will need to be reemed. Not sure about knuckle height either. May grab the knuckle when I can.

The 4wd Astro knuckle swap onto the 4wd K1500s is bolt on. The GC rotors are almost identical dimensions to the 13" GMT800 rotors except 5x5" bolt pattern.

KurtAKX
KurtAKX New Reader
9/2/20 12:26 p.m.
solfly said:

In reply to solfly :

No. I'm looking at the possibility of:

~ 2004 2wd Astro knuckles

~2000 2WD Grand Cherokee hubs

~2005 13" grand cherokee rotors

13" gmt800 calipers.

All I've been able to do so far is look at pictures. I can't find a good source of ball joint dimensions. I assume they will need to be reemed. Not sure about knuckle height either. May grab the knuckle when I can.

The 4wd Astro knuckle swap onto the 4wd K1500s is bolt on. The GC rotors are alost identical dimensions to the 13" GMT800 rotors except 5x5" bolt pattern.

OK now I need to subscribe; I see some B-body applicability here.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
9/2/20 12:29 p.m.

Like I said this is all speculation at this point, I haven't laid hands on a single part and I see nothing on the internet about it so I'm expecting a roadblock at some point.

9/2/20 12:39 p.m.

In definitely interested in seeing where that thought process goes, solfly!!

I think my next step is to turn all the rotors and drums. Make sure they're round. I think it will help, but not cure the problem. But, step at a time.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 12:45 p.m.

How about the steering stuff you mentioned needing replaced exacerbating a slightly warped rotor?

9/2/20 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Possible. But with how much i can see the bed move in the rearview,  as well as not feeling much in the steering wheel,  im not sure. But ill turn the fronts as well to eliminate the possibility of it.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 1:10 p.m.

Not following that,  Chandler. 

Also, i tried unhook the abs. No change.

And its right back to violent shaking. 

But, brake light switch fixed the no brake light problem,  and i ran it through the full service car wash.

Leading or trailing edge shoes.  Get them backwards and things can get interesting.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Possible. But with how much i can see the bed move in the rearview,  as well as not feeling much in the steering wheel,  im not sure. But ill turn the fronts as well to eliminate the possibility of it.

Bent axle(s)?

Blown shocks can cause excessive bouncing, but I've only experienced it in certain circumstances and braking didn't seem to effect it.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/2/20 1:18 p.m.

Yes, sorry; the shoes can be switched leading and trailing and it causes exactly what you are describing 

out-of-round drums can make for pulsation worse than you might imagine. i'd start by putting round drums on it.  also as mentioned by Stefan, each drum should have a short lining on the front aka primary shoe, and a long lining on the rear aka secondary shoe.  i've seen people install them backwards, which is 100% doable because the shoe itself is universal ie only the lining arc length makes it a primary vs a secondary. i've also seen people install both short ones on one side of the car and both long ones on the other.  long lining in primary position will make the brake very grabby.

The shoes appeared to be the same size on all four. However,  ill confirm when i have the drums off to turn. Same with front rotors. Im taking it to dads tonight to put on the lift. If it will fit. If not, i can pull them on hos concrete driveway. This truck is a foot too long to fit in my shop and close the door.   .

What are yall thoughts on replacing the shoes and pads? Plenty of material left on all, but im chasing problems. 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
9/2/20 3:14 p.m.

most replacement drums are garbage these days

9/4/20 12:07 p.m.

Dad and i spent the morning on this. We turned the drums and rotors,  inspected suspension,  lubed the front end, put new pads on the front,  etc.

Brake shake is completely gone. 

Needs pitman,  idler, idler bracket and all four tie rods. Boots on upper and lower ball joints torn. Shocks shot

However,  despite the play in the steering,  it drives like a worn example of one of these should!

solfly
solfly HalfDork
9/4/20 12:44 p.m.

Mevotech.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/20 2:00 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Were the drums out of round much?

1 2 3 4 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners