1 2 3 ... 13
a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/24 11:51 p.m.

Well, its been a long weekend. My buddy, my son and I set out to inspect and buy this Saturday AM.

No description available.

A c2 vette has always been really high up on my lists of wants. I love it for how nearly abstract it is. One of the few times that 90% of the concept car made it into production. 

They aren't cheap. Heck id say they aren't even affordable. But this one was attainable. It was the low rung on the dream ladder. It was a '65 convertible, 4 speed, 327/365 car. 

This car had issues. That's why it was in my budget range. If somehow you run across it one day... its a very manageable project. I'm not knocking the car. 

We spent hours looking at the car, and quite some time negotiating. The seller was a great guy. The issue at hand is that we had different financial plans for the car as a project. I was looking to affordably build a driver, he was looking to make a minimum return on his investment, where he could either resell the car, or run it through his shop and sell it at a higher price with a lot of investment on his part. His outlook was 100pct legit. He has a great shop, and it makes sense that the time he spends finding project cars needs to be fruitful. Its what he does.

So we break, agreeing that i'd think on it, and that he was not in any hurry to decide wether to keep it on the market as is or not.

We went to Sonny's BBQ. Cooled off. Ate a great lunch and just talked about what we had been doing for the last 5 hours... :)

I quickly realized, in the cool restaurant, without the specter of the c2 setting across the room staring at me that I had nearly broken my #1 project rule.

NEVER buy the cheapest one of a particular car that you want, just to "get started" on that type of car without any concern for whether or not its a good deal.

So... we starting talking about that idea, and what good deals really consisted of.

The subject of a previously observed FB marketplace ad came up... "What about the yellow c3, did you ever consider that one?" Of course I had not. It wasn't a c2. However after having spent several hours trying to talk myself into what probably would have been a disaster of a project.... the idea  of a project that resided much more with in the confines of my disposable income spectrum was a relief.

Well as far as the yellow c3 went, I had actually half written it off as either already sold or a scam.... too good to be ture.

I sent a FBM text. Took a bite of my sliced pork sandwhich, and wondered....

bing

Instant response.

3 phone calls at the table  later, and we were having a show of hands on a vote to leave Gainesville and head to Sarasota. It was unanamous. 3 hours later we were again looking at a project. It was a smoking deal.

With that, I introduce my first driveabeater (thanks Duster) thread. 

1969 Corvette Roadster - Matching Numbers

350/350 hp

m20 4speed 

factory side pipes

power disc

upgraded rear gear with locker

no ac, no PS, no PW, no PL

hardtop car.

On the trailer, at night, at the gas station... IYKYK

18 hours later after an intial cleaning:

AND it came with thousands of dollars of new and used parts. We filled the car, the trailer and the suburban. We will have to go back Friday to get the rest!

Goal will be to get it back on the road and into presentable driver status.

Encouragement craved.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/24/24 12:16 a.m.

Gorgeous! As cool as a c2 is that c3 is my favorite body style of corvette. Well bought. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
6/24/24 12:16 a.m.

Other than the one year only "split window coupe", I like the C3 better!

in my forumlative years (cool cars if the '60s, were the hottest) I loved the big fenders of the stingray... except there was a dive bar in town that the owner drove a vet that I did not know was one year only, and already worth mor than others. I just know it had "something" that I liked!

Great looking project!

spandak
spandak Dork
6/24/24 1:09 a.m.

Yea, that's gonna be fun

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/24/24 6:01 a.m.

I have the aluminum heads you need. 

And nascar slicks. 

This is going to be FUN to watch!!

peanutpckrupper
peanutpckrupper Reader
6/24/24 7:16 a.m.

The C3 is such a beautiful car. Good luck with the project! 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
6/24/24 7:22 a.m.
peanutpckrupper said:

The EARLY  C3 is such a beautiful car. Good luck with the project! 

Fixed that for you.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/24/24 7:36 a.m.

Following

"hardtop car"?

a_florida_man
6/24/24 7:43 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Factory built with two tops. Soft top and removeable hardtop. Hardtop was not included as it was lost to time, but the option is on the build sheet. The hardtop also had a vinyl cover.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/24/24 8:07 a.m.

It took me years to realize that buying the cheapest one you could find was never a good idea. I had a few boats that taught me that. 
Wise move on your part. Thanks for sharing. 

johndej
johndej UltraDork
6/24/24 8:07 a.m.

The fact that it's yellow makes it faster.

yurme
yurme New Reader
6/24/24 8:08 a.m.

Nice!  What are your goals for this ride?

a_florida_man
6/24/24 8:18 a.m.

In reply to yurme :

Reliable, presentable driver status.

Fun to drive.. with no worries for the wear and tear of driving it.

Somewhere between a "patina car" and a survivor in terms of appearance, with intelligent upgrades for function and performance. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
6/24/24 8:20 a.m.

IMHO the C3 butt is the most beautiful of the Corvette butts.  Ample, yet somewhat restrained... It's like Thicc, but not thiccccc

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/24/24 8:30 a.m.

Handles good, looks good, runs out good, few creature comforts, not afraid to park at the hotel over the weekend. 

Good driver. 

I love this plan. 

You have any certain directions with systems yet, or are you still at the assessment of what you bought stage?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/24/24 8:39 a.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

Sounds like a good plan.  A nicely built and presented chrome-bumper car can still be a great investment.  A friend in MD got a deal on a C3 project from a widow and built it (finished it, really) as a "Covid project" and then sold it on BaT about a year ago for a lot more than he was expecting:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-chevrolet-corvette-121/

It was originally an automatic car, but he converted it to a manual with a Tremec 5 speed. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/24/24 8:48 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
peanutpckrupper said:

The EARLY  C3 is such a beautiful car. Good luck with the project! 

Fixed that for you.

Agree 100%. Early C3 models are really incredible looking - especially convertibles! Excited to see this progress!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/24/24 9:05 a.m.

I prefer the lines of the hardtop to the fixed head roof line.  Here's some inspiration:

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/24/24 9:06 a.m.

When I think of the word "Corvette" I first visualize a C3. It's the most Corvette of Corvettes. Love that coke-bottle Mako shark body shape. Especially an early metal-bumper car.

I didn't know this until recently, but there is no trunk lid on a C3. You can only access the trunk from behind the seats. Truly a practical sports car!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/24 9:12 a.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

Congratulations, my friend! C2 and C3 are on my list of "someday" cars. I too will get a convertible with removable hardtop. I really love those lines.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/24/24 9:15 a.m.

I keep thinking about a rubber bumper smogger c3. Not because they're good. Because they're actively BAD. And I wouldn't feel bad about rat-rodding one. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/24/24 9:20 a.m.

15" Torq-Thrust wheels.

a_florida_man
6/24/24 12:23 p.m.

Thanks guys.

The scary part is over... I just successfully applied for the title.

In Florida out of state titles are never a gimmie!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/24/24 1:56 p.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

15" Torq-Thrust wheels.

Its....beautiful crying

a_florida_man
6/24/24 7:36 p.m.

Removed the pinstripes.

Less is more....

1 2 3 ... 13