theyseemebrolin
theyseemebrolin None
9/22/19 8:04 p.m.

never bother with posting pictures and details during the process but have had some ppl ask questions and recommend putting a thread on here. 

I'll try to throw some reasonably chronological stuff up here. but car is built and has run 1.5 rallies 

was on craiglist as parts car to go with nicer car... found and checked out by friend that also has e30 rally car. 

filling it up with gas on the way home late June 17 it leaked gas.... and i did not full tank again for a long time

daily taco x-runner was rally-cross truck for 5 yrs

a new friend... just kidding there were three of them thats where the 3 in 325i comes from...

pressure wash and took winter wheels from moms mini that she no longer owned and i tried to sell for her but noone wanted.

oh yes it was full of holes... 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
9/22/19 8:11 p.m.

And for those who don't know, this is the famous Kevin Brolin, who also navigates for Dan "Send It" Downey, and these guys repeatedly kick our ass at every stage rally we are entered together. :)

Kevin is the cool motherberkeleyer in the middle

theyseemebrolin
theyseemebrolin New Reader
9/22/19 9:09 p.m.

Ya I also wanted to know what a Berkeley was... 

This was one of the tapes in the car. (i still play it sometimes) so car is also called the polka machine. 

Rear brakes were leaking had toped off fluid on way home initially. And then pinched off later but was still leaking alot so hd trip at lunch to by some new pliers before taking to friends shop. Where put bleeder in master cylinder heck port. (note at this time was burnout machine). 

Replaced the rear calipers and rotors. Car had a set of shoes for the Ebrake in the trunk, along with spent shotgun shells. Ran new brake lines to the rear from just behind the regulator. 

Here is earliest pic i could find of rust holes... Rust is love rust is life... 

Was able to replace that hose and fitting to do team o rallyfest in August 

And thank you Josh 

Azryael
Azryael New Reader
9/22/19 11:12 p.m.

Seeing these cars doing these kinds of rally events is really making me want to build up my own rally car, be it an E30 or something else entirely.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/23/19 7:32 a.m.

This thread needs more XRunner.

theyseemebrolin
9/24/19 7:24 p.m.

Can do

When i got it vs more recently 

theyseemebrolin
9/24/19 7:39 p.m.

I having ridden in a e30 that samshed its oil pan i took the approach of welling a giant ass piece of square tubing to some roll cage tubing on to some reinforcement plates to make a hoop then got a local place to cut a piece of 10ga plate and bent it with a sledge hammer then welled some mounts on it. Originally thr back tied into the steering rack mounts but it now goes to the subframe also and i eventually welled some runner on. Don't have a pic handy. 

Did a few rallycrosses while starting to patch holes and eventually put it on jack stands for the winter to fill holes. 

Fram rail

bent a pice of 16 ga up no pics

driver side pass was similar. 

Pro tip variable speed angle grinder set lowish with wire wheel takes off the undercoat without melting it and making a mess. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
9/24/19 8:10 p.m.

good God Kevin....didn't realize that was a true "new england" car lol. Down here that kind of rust-out = scrapyard haha....

theyseemebrolin
9/28/19 7:47 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

ya it was worse than it looked at first but i can weld pretty decent now.

theyseemebrolin
9/28/19 8:49 p.m.

Frame rail 

Drivers floor

Oh ya took the pass shock tower out patched and welded back in

New tow hook and battery box

Also the rear fenders and some other rando spots in the floors 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HljsrSKqczimCSbeH2mVGESy14BFirY48xY9AFqLSK3547CBnIWlQhaoiddzKrlE