1 ... 14 15 16
Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
3/20/16 1:40 p.m.

I also ordered this.

My kid is excited, too.

The seat cushion is blown out, so it had to go. It was killing my back. I was looking for an E46 or an E90 sport seat, but I couldn't find one at the price I wanted, plus an E46 seat might have gotten tossed in a couple of years, too, depending on the year I was able to get. I haven't gotten to gutting it and recycling the steel frame yet.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
3/20/16 1:55 p.m.

Installing the frame to the base.

It looks so good! This mod is worth 5 hp, haha. This car is definitely a STX car now.

I did have to spend a little time to get the seat belt mounted.

It has no lower back support, so I bought a small travel pillow to put on the small of my back. It's pretty confortable with the pillow, especially since it's a race seat. It's the Corbeau Sport seat, I didn't have the guap to get the Forza Sport that's approved for SCCA Time Trials, but that will have to wait. This was all from a few months ago. I still have a few more updates to do.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP New Reader
3/21/16 9:23 a.m.

To set the front toe, you really should use a set of toe plates. You can buy them or make a set. The only down side of using toe plates to set the toe, there is no way to center the steering wheel.

I think to use the string method, you need to set up a jig front and rear. Just a piece of steel or aluminum to hold the strings, clamp that to each bumper. Then you might be able to set toe and center the wheel. I think to toe plates will work better though.

CV joint bolts, always use a torque wrench and check the SPEC for proper torque, typically if they come loose the will also shear off.

For hardware, McMaster carr is great. Also make sure you use the proper grade (strength) bolts. Macmaster will typically have better stuff than your local hardware store.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
4/10/16 8:21 a.m.

I replaced the center support bearing.

This was quite a while ago, and I also bent the driveshaft over Christmas, I ended up needing a AAA repair shop to replace it with a refurbished driveshaft I found on ebay.

I bought these since I don't have bumpstops, but they are actually useless, because...

...I bought racing springs! The front spring rates are around 517 lbs/in and the rears are around 1028 lbs/in.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
4/10/16 12:31 p.m.

Here's some more shots of the Dynamat installation that I couldn't upload before.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
4/10/16 1:39 p.m.

I did replace the headliner a few weeks ago.

I had to scrape off the adhesive.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
4/17/16 4:47 p.m.

You're going to have crazy oversteer with those spring rates.

1 ... 14 15 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jgBn012xK4uFfiwL9y031LsEf42hLfRcfui35iSZMRUZPGpkv8wG45HeiQ3RLIqg