1 2
Box4VIR
Box4VIR GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/24 11:16 a.m.

I've been collecting parts for this project for sometime as I waiting to "finish" the Boxster build.   I've always loved these 540i's, prices of M5s have dropped so much that this kinda thing doesn't really make sense but this is GRM so guys will get it.  I have "most" of a VF supercharger kit, missing some hardware, AC bits, dip stick and some other annoying pieces but nothing I can't piece together.  I have the ECU which is big.   I also have a 6 speed swap pieced together, some headers, etc.  first order of business is installing the supercharger and manual swap...watch that first step.  The idea is to create a reliable fun kid hauler. Not a racecar...really...I promise...  I'll keep you all posted, wish me luck.  

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
6/9/24 11:56 a.m.

Sadly VF doesn't support any kit bought used.  So finding parts will be a challenge for sure, you're really lucky you've got the tuned ECU...

Box4VIR
6/9/24 12:24 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Over the phone they said they'd send me pricing...we'll see.  I was shocked.  The AC lines are the only thing I'm worried about and even that's solvable. Worst case I'll just ditch the AC and turn it into a raceca...wait no!  

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
6/9/24 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

Fingers crossed for ya!

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
6/9/24 3:57 p.m.

Following. I have an E39 fetish as well.

Box4VIR
6/14/24 6:18 p.m.

Well buying a used kit was a mistake but after hours of fab it's in....   next I need to reprogram the ECU. 

Box4VIR
6/14/24 6:19 p.m.

Anyone have experience dying leather? I'm considering dying the grey interior to cinnamon next.   

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/14/24 6:34 p.m.

I've used these guys to re-dye my Miata seats back in the day but it was an original color.

https://leatherique1.com

original site is Leatherique.com but that one looks very ancient and barely opens any links with Safari

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
6/14/24 6:49 p.m.

I love the casual inclusion of the boxster insanity in the foreground of the first Pic, heh.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
6/15/24 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

That's how buying a used kit always goes, unless the car you're taking it off of is directly next to the car you're putting it onto.  That way you can swap parts between the two cars and make sure you got every single part of the kit you needed.

Box4VIR
6/15/24 12:29 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Ya after seeing how complex this kit is there's no way you're getting a used complete one.  Luckily I had the important bits and was able make the rest.  It's all buttoned up and ready to go.  Unbelievably tight fit for most of the components.  I had to cut the hood bracing out for the hood to close. It's not a factory hood so I'm assuming the bracing is not the same design.  

spandak
spandak Dork
6/15/24 8:39 p.m.

This should be very fun

Box4VIR
6/17/24 5:11 p.m.

This car is an auto, I've collect the 6 speed swap parts but wanted to get the supercharger running first.  The ECU supplied us a manual so I was going to use NCS expert to switch it to auto and then back to manual but it appears that requires wiping the tune. Still unclear.  Either way I have time on my hands so I started pulling the interior.  I'm planning on dying it cinnamon like the interior below.  I've never dyed interior before so fingers crossed  if you have any advice let me know  

the goal 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/17/24 5:33 p.m.

A friend of mine has a 540i 6 spd with a supercharger. It's been his daily driver for well over 15 years and more  than 200K miles.  Most of that time with the supercharger.  Occasionally he breaks it, but he loves it so much he fixes it.  

Box4VIR
6/17/24 5:40 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

The supercharger breaks?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/18/24 7:42 a.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

I don't think so, although after 100K+ miles, he may have rebuilt it.  I'll try to remember to ask him the next time I see him. Mostly just typical "broken BMW" stuff, from what I remember.  Long ago he accepted that "Add HP + Drive the car hard & often = break or wear out a lot parts." 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
6/18/24 9:41 a.m.

The Vortech's do need to get rebuilt, although I don't remember the recommended interval...

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
6/18/24 8:01 p.m.

Someone here listed a bmw for sale and they painted or dyed their interior to that same brown.  It was a few years ago but maybe you can search old listings and find it

Box4VIR
6/20/24 5:53 p.m.

Interior tear apart continues. I also visited the local yard and took my chances on the posted wildlife warnings and scored these sport seats for $100 and some angle eye HIDs.  Nothing like owning a car you find in a junk yard.  There were three msports there, wild. 

Box4VIR
6/26/24 4:55 p.m.

This has already become an annoying project. The electrical work, pedals and hydraulic install all went well but the people supplying parts have been a disaster.  Earlier the supercharger kit turned out to be incomplete which I d already talked about.  Last week the header company canceled my order.  Then the junk yard couldn't pull the sport seats. I asked them to pull other comfort seats and those two had an electric problem. They were able to pull one of each🤦.  

the leather dye finally arrived, they sent me two bottles of the same color but they're clearly very different colors (see below).  

the driveshaft seller on eBay flaked on me and hasn't sent out the driveshaft (it's been weeks).  I ordered another one but that one hasn't shipped either.  This is the third driveshaft I have bought.  The first one was supposed to be included in the kit I ordered but it was lost.  The seller refunded me for that one.  Man... gotta take up basket weaving or something the gods are against me on this one. 

I did have a good bounce in the junk yard. I found some rare window shades.  Pulled the door panels and the window surround ls for $28 total.  They sell for $500+ on ebay  

peanutpckrupper
peanutpckrupper Reader
6/26/24 7:37 p.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

Which yard did you go to? I go to Chesterfield auto parts and they never have anything cool 

Box4VIR
6/26/24 8:14 p.m.

In reply to peanutpckrupper :

It was chesterfield auto.  I was shocked!  They had 3 e46s, two e39s (one 540i), some new 5 series, couple x5s, a first gen Saab 900 turbo (I know I know), and some decent Audis.  Years ago I pulled a dealer installed turbo kit off of an e21 320i.  There's cool stuff, just few and far between. 

peanutpckrupper
peanutpckrupper Reader
6/26/24 8:17 p.m.

In reply to Box4VIR :

Wow you're in luck on the BMW side! Occasionally they get in a W204 I can pick apart but their Mercedes options are usually too old for my GLK. 

Box4VIR
6/30/24 7:56 a.m.

The dye project is coming along. Carpets have been painted black and most of the interior has its first coat of cinnamon.  In total there are 11 panels that need to be sanded down stripped and repainted.  It's a huge project, I'll easily spend 30 hours before it's over.  The color is looking great but on the complex panels I'm going to need to switch to an air gun to get a consistent finish.  

panels prior to dye.  It's amazing how much sanding them cleaned them up 

peanutpckrupper
peanutpckrupper Reader
6/30/24 11:53 a.m.

That's coming along great. Are you doing the seats as well or will you be looking for OEM cinnamon seats? 

I want to dye my seats in a peanut butter color. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uoD0t7w0Ts4DmIdCN5dtC8oZ5J1epauLjWyrnIPYJNH0w5cia8EfsaB5x1a76MSl