1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/14/23 4:06 p.m.

Removed water/methanol injection system(those two brackets weigh 9lbs!, they will be severely lightened as I plan to keep the two tanks in the spirit of the original build.) Moved engine compartment wiring out of the way and cleaned engine compartment for painting.

Two Facet fuel pumps showed up, one will be operated by a Hobbs switch and come on under boost ...  It will be my "spare" if the other quits by bypassing the Hobbs switch and keeping out of boost.

Next step is to paint engine compartment  :)

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/21/23 4:46 p.m.

Engine compartment painted, water/methanol tanks brackets lightened (3lbs lighter :) ),

surge tank sanded and painted.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/21/23 4:52 p.m.

So fresh

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/24/23 4:47 p.m.

Brackets and tanks mounted, made coolant catch can out of an aluminum automotive freon bottle
(making oil catch can/breather out of one too). Since the Facet fuel pumps do not have a check valve and I will not have both running at the same time (one will turn on with boost) I made my own check valves with no springs so there is very minimal "cracking" pressure, gravity will close them or pressure back flowing from the other pump. The check valve is to prevent fuel from just looping back through the non running pump and never make it to the carb. The "seat" for the valve was made by just using a hammer and punch with bearing in the fitting and gently persuading the fitting to take the shape of the bearing.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/24/23 7:40 p.m.

I like this catch can idea, and I've already got a junk yard run planned this weekend... Have any pics of the freon bottle you are using?

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/24/23 9:14 p.m.

It is fairly rigid to be able to handle the pressure of the Freon.

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/24/23 10:00 p.m.

Oh, even more interesting. I thought you meant an AC drier canister.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
8/24/23 11:01 p.m.

I'm almost certain that GRM contains more Europas per capita than any other motorsports forum around. 

It's a beautiful thing, really...

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/25/23 9:35 a.m.

between my father and I, we account for about 6 of them. I need to get him on the forum

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/23 9:44 a.m.

Such a cool build. Carry on!

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/26/23 8:53 a.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

Pics of any of the other ones online somewhere?

gixxeropa
8/26/23 9:12 a.m.

In reply to TurboFource :

no, unfortunately, there's a twin cam and an S2 getting restored, and then several free europas sitting in the woods (its not just on GRM that people give them away, british cars have a way of just making people give up) one of them is an S1 that actually got seperated from the frame at some point

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
8/29/23 5:22 p.m.

Finished Freon bottle breather system and got some pulley bling in the mail today :)

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/29/23 5:26 p.m.

That catch can turned out sweet.

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
9/10/23 5:10 p.m.

Hot and humid .... perfect weather to silicone bronze weld some Y's for my fuel system! I previously modified the fuel float valve for more flow, upgraded tank outlet to 3/8", will drill carb and upgrade inlet to match the 5/16" outlet from the Y.

Also got my seat tracks apart by soaking them in a toolbox full of vinegar and salt for a week ... some repairs required ...

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
9/11/23 5:39 p.m.

Pumps mounted .... because of no room had to drill one hole using a carbide burr and twisting it my fingers, good thing it was just fiberglass! Also pic of modified float valve and new carb inlet ID is now larger than original's OD

It burnt a valve in '77 taking it off the road .... hoping to avoid any future fuel supply issues!

Don't worry about using hose clamps this will be running at less than 4 psi ....

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/23 11:57 a.m.

vinegar and salt for rust removal?  that's a new one on me.  i know vinegar is acidic, but what's the benefit of the salt?

gixxeropa
9/12/23 1:40 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

for flavor?

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
9/12/23 3:44 p.m.

Increases the acidity is what I read somewhere....seems to help

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/23 8:08 p.m.

Ketchup is salt, vinegar, and fruit acid.

I have successfully derusted things by putting them in a baggie full of ketchup.  Seemed like a good thing to do with 30 packets left over from McDonald's, and I got to clean out the shop fridge at the same time.

Keep it sealed, it smells horrible!

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
9/19/23 7:40 a.m.

Installed needle bearings on throttle shaft, turbo apart for rebuild and billet compressor wheel.

My Bluetooth programmable distributor came in .... you can program mechanical and vacuum advance, boost retard, soft rev limiter and has anti - theft, all programmable with your phone, and it's not made in China!

gixxeropa
9/19/23 8:38 a.m.

That's a pretty slick system, I'm definitely interested to see how it works. How does the anti-theft work?

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
9/19/23 8:44 a.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

The car won't start if your phone isn't nearby ... haven't had a chance to look at it in depth.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/23 12:45 p.m.

Those 123 Ignition distributors are slick! 

I was debating one for my car as well

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
9/19/23 3:12 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

Some of the guys on the Lotus site running them say good things about them!

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ompHlzlEmpK4bVylX7nX2WPehogtvyqW0sUQhYif79VkJwclUyK5LQ2zHsqAf1PR