1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/10/13 5:28 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: But not weld naked. That's a bad idea.

Butt what? Lol

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/10/13 5:59 p.m.

Apparently I've been doing butt welds wrong for a while now

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica New Reader
7/10/13 6:15 p.m.

If you grip the stinger with yer cheeks, do you man the trigger with yer hootus? That's impressive dexterity.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
7/10/13 6:53 p.m.

Did you get some poly mounts bushings for the steering rack?

Those + all poly in control arms + proper depower = I love the steering feel in my '90

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/10/13 7:37 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Nerp. The donors' bushings looked suspiciously new, so we saved it to make sure we end up under $20k. Poly bushings might be a future upgrade, but the lightness of the car will serve the same end.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/11/13 9:29 a.m.

Had some pretty serious setbacks yesterday, but we're back in the groove now and should still get it to powdercoat today. I had to pull an all-nighter to make up for the lost welding/fitment time. I feel like I'm back in Formula SAE.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/11/13 10:17 a.m.
Warren v wrote: In reply to z31maniac: Nerp. The donors' bushings looked suspiciously new, so we saved it to make sure we end up under $20k. Poly bushings might be a future upgrade, but the lightness of the car will serve the same end.

Keep the stockers?? BLASPHEMY

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/13 10:32 a.m.

Show me how to "window weld" a set of stock Miata steering rack bushings. I dare you.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/11/13 11:12 a.m.

What was the setback? I can't see that one pic for some reason.

Keith Tanner
7/11/13 11:27 a.m.

Welder problems.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
7/11/13 12:01 p.m.
Warren v wrote: I feel like I'm back in Formula SAE.

Atlanta...SAE...Are you a yella jacket?

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/11/13 1:02 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Atlanta...SAE...Are you a yella jacket?

Yup, so is the owner, Kevin. I was very involved with GT Motorsports, the Solar Jackets, and the Invention Studio. Many of the contacts and business relationships we've made were through Jackets as well.

Speaking of GT-derived relationships, OUR PERMITS CAME THROUGH TODAY FOR OUR NEW BUILDING! FINALLY!

Building is already standing, it's just being renovated from an old warehouse.

Estimated move-in is mid-August. We had to promise the property owner and real estate agent that we'd do some donuts inside before moving everything in.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/11/13 1:18 p.m.

Big thanks to Jason at Enthuza Car for getting our custom exhaust done a day ahead of schedule. He just delivered it to our shop personally. We're super lucky to have THE Miata exhaust expert in our backyard.

11 lbs, 10oz. That's a bitty little resonator. It has a slipjointed downturn right under the halfshafts. Our muffler spins at 150k RPM.

According to my weight spreadsheet, that puts us right under 1500 lbs. I've been conservative with my numbers, I'd be tickled if we can do it with two seats, a turbo, a real Miata tank, and a full Miata wiring harness.

Our welder is touching up the rest of the chassis as I type this and eat the first hot food I've had in three days (gyro).

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
7/11/13 2:17 p.m.

Awesome progress!

I was interested in joining the Tech SAE team back in '95/96 but when I mentioned I'd love to take a turn behind the wheel of the car the teammates manning the meet & greet desk suddenly lost interest in talking with me

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/13 2:21 p.m.
Warren v wrote:
ultraclyde wrote: Atlanta...SAE...Are you a yella jacket?
Yup, so is the owner, Kevin. I was very involved with GT Motorsports, the Solar Jackets, and the Invention Studio. Many of the contacts and business relationships we've made were through Jackets as well. Speaking of GT-derived relationships, OUR PERMITS CAME THROUGH TODAY FOR OUR NEW BUILDING! FINALLY! Building is already standing, it's just being renovated from an old warehouse. Estimated move-in is mid-August. We had to promise the property owner and real estate agent that we'd do some donuts inside before moving everything in.

Based on the renderings, I really want to plan a visit to Atlanta once you guys are in and situated. It looks like the new space is going to be KILLER! If possible, please create a "build" thread for the building once the ball gets rolling (including pics of the donuts!).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/11/13 3:03 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: If possible, please create a "build" thread for the building once the ball gets rolling (including videos of the donuts!).

FTFY.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/11/13 3:18 p.m.

oh yeah! ill be back in country for a month in october, you can bet your booty ill come down!

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/11/13 3:29 p.m.

In reply to v8exocet:

October? Hopefully we'll have our own LSxocet by then. I hope to convert you from the dark world of 302s. We've got a couple customers prepping for LSx builds right now.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
7/11/13 8:10 p.m.

WHAT'S THE GOOD WORD???!!

(GT BS-PTCH, class of '99)

I guess as an alumnus I now HAVE to buy one, right?

I cant wait to come tour the facility and get a ride in one.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/12/13 12:39 a.m.
Warren v wrote: In reply to v8exocet: October? Hopefully we'll have our own LSxocet by then. I hope to convert you from the dark world of 302s. We've got a couple customers prepping for LSx builds right now.

yeah oct 11 to nov 7th ill be in country. gonna make a trip to you guys since ill be in atlanta at the wifeys parents for a few days anyways

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/12/13 1:59 p.m.

I dropped the completed chassis off at Miller's Powder Coating earlier this morning. They've been our supplier for the last dozen or so cars with great results. They promise it'll be done Monday!

I had already brought in a few boxes before thinking to take a picture:

I'm currently organizing our shop and parts into different zones (rear subframe, front subframe, driveline, accessories/controls) so we can work in parallel tomorrow. Kevin gets back from Italy tonight, I'm excited about having some help with this project now!

GRM'ers in Atlanta, feel free to join us! Here's the info: http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?21200-Wanna-help-me-build-a-UTCC-turbo-Exocet

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/12/13 2:06 p.m.

Lots of progress! Its looking great man, you should be proud.

On another note, Im glad to see that even pro organizations still have to thrash for a solid week to get their cars done before an event!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/12/13 2:07 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Show me how to "window weld" a set of stock Miata steering rack bushings. I dare you.

What would happen if I tried:

Keith Tanner
7/12/13 2:23 p.m.

Looking good, Warren.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/12/13 2:59 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Lots of progress! Its looking great man, you should be proud. On another note, Im glad to see that even pro organizations still have to thrash for a solid week to get their cars done before an event!

Anything else would be boring. We get our Exocet "kit" on Monday, part of the UTCC schtick will be the ability to say "yeah, we built this car on Monday, no big".

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S1G7nt5sytSslWzksoBwGJP0Xyk2hDoe8tVyPoz3l9BifcB9lyiIAkdezIQh9HX5